• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The 'Do's and 'Don't's of PvP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has asked this but whats your opinion on fishing rods?
Also, nice guide.
I can clear up fishing rods when I get home as I'm heading to school now.
Very well written and I agree with you on most of this, looking forward to more guides from you.
Not too many otherwise everyone would play like me. >.<
Thanks. :3
Nice this taught me a few things I didn't know was good to do :)
Yeh, it's the criticals and jumping that gets confused a lot.

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
I think you should add something about flat grassy terrain; in my free time or when waiting for refill around corns like holiday resort I usually clear out a relatively decent area of the fern stuff in the grass blocks. It really annoys me when I try to flint and steel, especially vsing teams.

Invisible fires can also work really well to your advantage on them if you aren't derpy enough to run into them. Think that should be included as well.

Overall, I'd say it's right, but I'd have to disagree on the terrain part. Having height on an opponent IS indeed a pvp strategy that can help you outmaneuver someone completely; jumping on them, hitting them twice and knocking them down 5 blocks or more can definitely change the game, leaving their teammate ready to 1vs1. After that you can simply repeat what you did previously and the person who has already been knocked off the first time will usually come back. If you do do enough damage you can definitely kill them or fit one snipe in easily (depending on their gear and the amount of hits you get off). Dealing with people on vines is completely different - I don't know if you meant 'vines' when you wrote hilly train, but being on top of vines is definitely a disadvantage. What you said there about them being able to hit you but not working vice-versa is correct.

If you have a clear lead on the opponent (10 blocks or so) you can easily hold shift and just run up the hill. Those with good running skills can also just jump up if the oppondent is 5 blocks behind them if they don't clip anything. It's very good for taking on teams and killing people with better gear.

On the issue of block hitting, Billa would be right again. Block hitting simply negates the ability to move around and get the first hit in. With 1.7, getting the first hit on someone who's not moving is practically a guaranteed kill. The only time I block hit is when I'm in an extremely confined space in which you can't strafe in. Hitting people who have their sprint binded is very hard when you yourself are constantly getting battered over and over again. In a 1vs1, someone with the 1.7 BSM would easily overcome a person block hitting except in tight/confined spaces. From there on it's a battle of bow spam, fishing rods, flint and steel, block hitting and armour. Utilities are the only thing that'll save you in such a scenario if a person outgears you, unless someone is terrible or is lagging severely and can't hit you.

I only block in water when I'm really sure I'm going to dodge it but am slightly worried it may hit anyway - if I'm probably not going to get hit but I do instead blocking is only going to aid me. I guess there isn't much more to it than using it in water when spammed with arrows you can't dodge or probably will dodge and when you want to 'team' or 'truce'.

Also Jake, incorporate some knock back tactics in there, things with the bow and fishing rod. I generally follow up going in with a sword after I land two bow shots as I immediately have the upper hand in:

A - Hearts
B - The fact that they can't hit me at this current time whereas I CAN hit them
C - Intimidation; people with better gear are likely to run away (if they do manage to get away), but if you refer to point B, if you hit them into something behind them, hit them down onto lower terrain or they simply come back for more, they'll genuinely try to run. This last point is only helpful if you're good with the bow.

Take note, most things I have mentioned aren't guaranteed a kill with someone in full iron, but it will certainly get them low and has (a 80/20 chance for me) of killing them if I wear them down earlier (with the bow, fns or rod) or if I simply get a lot of shots off.

Last edited:

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
I think you should add something about flat grassy terrain; in my free time or when waiting for refill around corns like holiday resort I usually clear out a relatively decent area of the fern stuff in the grass blocks. It really annoys me when I try to flint and steel, especially vsing teams.

Invisible fires can also work really well to your advantage on them if you aren't derpy enough to run into them. Think that should be included as well.

Overall, I'd say it's right, but I'd have to disagree on the terrain part. Having height on an opponent IS indeed a pvp strategy that can help you outmaneuver someone completely; jumping on them, hitting them twice and knocking them down 5 blocks or more can definitely change the game, leaving their teammate ready to 1vs1. After that you can simply repeat what you did previously and the person who has already been knocked off the first time will usually come back. If you do do enough damage you can definitely kill them or fit one snipe in easily (depending on their gear and the amount of hits you get off). Dealing with people on vines is completely different - I don't know if you meant 'vines' when you wrote hilly train, but being on top of vines is definitely a disadvantage. What you said there about them being able to hit you but not working vice-versa is correct.

If you have a clear lead on the opponent (10 blocks or so) you can easily hold shift and just run up the hill. Those with good running skills can also just jump up if the oppondent is 5 blocks behind them if they don't clip anything. It's very good for taking on teams and killing people with better gear.

On the issue of block hitting, Billa would be right again. Block hitting simply negates the ability to move around and get the first hit in. With 1.7, getting the first hit on someone who's not moving is practically a guaranteed kill. The only time I block hit is when I'm in an extremely confined space in which you can't strafe in. Hitting people who have their sprint binded is very hard when you yourself are constantly getting battered over and over again. In a 1vs1, someone with the 1.7 BSM would easily overcome a person block hitting except in tight/confined spaces. From there on it's a battle of bow spam, fishing rods, flint and steel, block hitting and armour. Utilities are the only thing that'll save you in such a scenario if a person outgears you, unless someone is terrible or is lagging severely and can't hit you.

I only block in water when I'm really sure I'm going to dodge it but am slightly worried it may hit anyway - if I'm probably not going to get hit but I do instead blocking is only going to aid me. I guess there isn't much more to it than using it in water when spammed with arrows you can't dodge or probably will dodge and when you want to 'team' or 'truce'.

Also Jake, incorporate some knock back tactics in there, things with the bow and fishing rod. I generally follow up going in with a sword after I land two bow shots as I immediately have the upper hand in:

A - Hearts
B - The fact that they can't hit me at this current time whereas I CAN hit them
C - Intimidation; people with better gear are likely to run away (if they do manage to get away), but if you refer to point B, if you hit them into something behind them, hit them down onto lower terrain or they simply come back for more, they'll genuinely try to run. This last point is only helpful if you're good with the bow.

Take note, most things I have mentioned aren't guaranteed a kill with someone in full iron, but it will certainly get them low and has (a 80/20 chance for me) of killing them if I wear them down earlier (with the bow, fns or rod) or if I simply get a lot of shots off.
I was waiting for a good reply, thank you.

SlicingSausage

Spectator
Reaction score
1.7 is not used that much yet. Most people use 1.6.4 so some older tactics still may work. Only once optifine gets updated to 1.7 will people start to use it and block hitting and crits will be useless.

Juzzy

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Looks good man! Keep the tips coming :p

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
Bump - added a fishing rod section, and also evaluating on terrain PvP.

Zado

Platinum
Reaction score
If you are below someone on a mountain, you have slightly an advantage because the feet has the biggest hitboxes.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If you get a successful 1.7 fishing rod combo WHILE jumping, your opponent will get absolutely scraped, and run away if that didn't demolish them. However for ones second attack, it is advised you stay rather close to the ground.

Here is how I see it. Fishing rod crit combos are effective on initial contact, or when you opponent is charging you head on, from a distance. Rod him from long range then utilize the stun to achieve ultimate combonesss.

Now when you are in close range combat, stay flat, get under your opponent, and knock him back, in effect causing fall damage and a hella scared opponent. If they run, bowshots or quick gain of ground through fishing rodding into blocks should finish them off.

Also, FnS is priceless in charging opponents. Simply switch to your FnS if you have one, light a fire in front of you, and watch them run into it. Then proceed to get under them, gain ground, and add crits at the end while their not fighting back in order to kill them faster, before they can run away.

Thank you and g00dnyte.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It's only a death adder. :p
My apologies for double posting, but it have a Deathadder at my dad's house and I click faster than Blamph with that mother. Which allows my hits to have better chances of registering as well as sounding sexy. Most... Times...

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
My apologies for double posting, but it have a Deathadder at my dad's house and I click faster than Blamph with that mother. Which allows my hits to have better chances of registering as well as sounding sexy. Most... Times...
Not possible. :p

When I mean not possible, minecraft only registers a maximum of 6 clicks per second so that everyone has a fair fight. Players with low ping and high clicking speeds would completely own, as players like myself would be completely screwed.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Not possible. :p

When I mean not possible, minecraft only registers a maximum of 6 clicks per second so that everyone has a fair fight. Players with low ping and high clicking speeds would completely own, as players like myself would be completely screwed.
That's wot the government wants you to think;). But on a more serious note, clicking speed really is all show. However it's still a bragging right ish maybe okno butyes c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci