• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The 'Do's and 'Don't's of PvP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadare

Survivor
Reaction score
I have to say that if I was fighting on a mountain, I'd use sprint to knock them off, or take the lower ground to score more hits instead of going for flat combat (which I'm absolutely terrible at), but that's just me.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
This thread is just describing your PvP style preference. Perhaps block-hitting and getting crits isn't your style, but those tactics still work for others.
I'd have to disagree there, assuming you could get someone who you believe is good at criticals/block hitting to fly over to Australia and 1v1 Billa I doubt they'd win. This is a general guide and most points seem valid to me. There are of course some exceptions in his guide that good players know when to break the 'rules' (Such as I know precisely when to block and jump to benefit m

There is a bit of truth to what you say, but I believe this guide is more effective against block hitters/crit jumpers.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
I have to say that if I was fighting on a mountain, I'd use sprint to knock them off, or take the lower ground to score more hits instead of going for flat combat (which I'm absolutely terrible at), but that's just me.
I guess it could work if used properly, but think about it, this are for most general situations. If that specific person was a generally good PvPer you may want to reconsider that tactic. If you were going to attack them like that, they may be the one that gets first hit and then you're the one that's most likely screwed because you're stuck on the blocks behind you and it'll practically impossible to get away.

This thread is just describing your PvP style preference. Perhaps block-hitting and getting crits isn't your style, but those tactics still work for others.
Not quite. Read how I put it, you are more screwed if someone were to use these tactics than block hitting or crits. The part of this guide is general PvP were it is usually open/large maps like Chernobyl, Valleyside, SG4 and those type of maps were these tactics work effectively. The only time I would ever block hit would be Solar Frost (in the tunnels of course) because it is practically impossible to strafe effectively.

Last edited:

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think the sprint key has made the fishing rod/block hit combo even better since you don't get the wobble sprint afterwards. But maybe that's just me >.>

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
I have a question.

I've never jumped and will never do (only when getting someone from behind). I have tried jumping as many other players do, but they always seem to get all the hits on me while I get 1 or 2 hits. I always get "send" away while they just keep on jumping, and hitting me while I'm just there seeing myself die. How is this possible?

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
I think the sprint key has made the fishing rod/block hit combo even better since you don't get the wobble sprint afterwards. But maybe that's just me >.>
Well, if you were amazing at timing block hitting and fishing rod casting you might have some what of a chance, even it isn't one of the best tactics to do.
I have a question.

I've never jumped and will never do (only when getting someone from behind). I have tried jumping as many other players do, but they always seem to get all the hits on me while I get 1 or 2 hits. I always get "send" away while they just keep on jumping, and hitting me while I'm just there seeing myself die. How is this possible?
What are you meaning to ask? Are you confused with how your strafing/no jumping technic doesn't work others that are jumping?

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Well, if you were amazing at timing block hitting and fishing rod casting you might have some what of a chance, even it isn't one of the best tactics to do.

What are you meaning to ask? Are you confused with how your strafing/no jumping technic doesn't work others that are jumping?
I'm meaning to ask how they can keep on jumping, (doing criticals) and keep on fighting if where are the same distance yet I can't hit them a single time?

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Not quite. Read how I put it, you are more screwed if someone were to use these tactics than block hitting or crits. The part of this guide is general PvP were it is usually open/large maps like Chernobyl, Valleyside, SG4 and those type of maps were these tactics work effectively. The only time I would ever block hit would be Solar Frost (in the tunnels of course) because it is practically impossible to strafe effectively.
I blockhit, even in open spaces, and I do fine. If my opponent is strafing, I can normally keep up with their strafes and hit them. If my opponent starts to get a combo lock, I fall back via fishing rod and then go back in with my blockhits. Another blockhit strategy variant I do is get one or two blockhits and then start swinging normally. This is effective because with the new sprint key, my sprint automatically engages.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
I'm meaning to ask how they can keep on jumping, (doing criticals) and keep on fighting if where are the same distance yet I can't hit them a single time?
It seems like connection issues, or the way that you play. Some people do have beast connections that allow them to jump and attack majority of the time. In the way that you're stating it, it sounds like you aren't using the fishing to its full potential. Do you cast your rod before you fight them to get first hit? Or do you consistently cast during the fight to get first hit every time?
I blockhit, even in open spaces, and I do fine. If my opponent is strafing, I can normally keep up with their strafes and hit them. If my opponent starts to get a combo lock, I fall back via fishing rod and then go back in with my blockhits. Another blockhit strategy variant I do is get one or two blockhits and then start swinging normally. This is effective because with the new sprint key, my sprint automatically engages.
I understand, but it's the fact you mentioned 2 things that lead to your failure, the fishing rod and combo lock. I'd say that you're relying on just your fishing rod when getting caught in a combo. Block hitting will practically never allow you to be the one that deals the combos, it's one of the things that are most important in 1.7 PvP. Think about it, what would happen if you were block hitting, get caught in a combo lock and have no rod to cast? Are you screwed or what..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci