• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The 'Do's and 'Don't's of PvP

Status
Not open for further replies.

treepuncherjoe_

Spectator
Reaction score
if u have a good use of crits, then it can be useful. it can save you time and your health from getting more affected.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
if u have a good use of crits, then it can be useful. it can save you time and your health from getting more affected.
Crits are good for when chasing, this is a method I use as I don't get the best connection. Huahwi actually mentioned the flat running technics in a previous episode.
All of this is very helpful, thanks!
Thank you very much, could be improved a bit. :)

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
hi billa

what you said :

DON'T - Criticals: Criticals are less important in 1.7, the sprint key is were it is at:
  • Most people constantly jump in order to get however but they do not know the effects of jumping, it may seem easy just to keep it on there, or awkward to hold it off, but it is better. Jumping is completely ineffective in general 1v1 combat. Would you rather get 2-3 extra hits then 3 critical strikes?
DO - Flat running/better strafing: This tactic is much better than the usual jump and attack, better mechanic than jumping every second:
  • What is actually more effective is this; This tip was originated from AlLuc, after he kept on beating me in consecutive 1v1's and I couldn't explain how he was beating me so easily. If you keep jumping after each hit, or even before you engage in a fight, you will be hit a lot further, throwing you off guard and confused. This is even worse when a player using the sprint key effectively will demolish you. When holding it down once they are "confused" you can charge straight in again, and again. Over and over allowing you quite easily kill another player. Yes, if to aggressive, you may die from fire depending how skilled this player is and/or if they're in an open area. To easily run away. This tactic is mainly for 2 hit combos instead of the usual one.

what i'll say

being a kangaroo is fun. keep hopping on 'em
i've seen this for approximately 1 1/2 years, and it's that being a kangaroo is more effective than trying to strafe in a circle. it is easy to strafe while being a kangaroo. even if you get kb'd you still can keep hitting them when you charge towards the player. the bonus damage you do can be very deadly. assume you are in a fight with equal gear, your critting will probably save your ass because he/she dies faster. the kb doesn't affect much, unless you are fighting on a cliff, which then if you attempt to crit you're probably dumb

DON'T - Blockhitting: Blockhitting is now completely null and horrible in 1.7 use. The sprint key can easily overcome this tactic without a breeze:
  • Blockhitting is actually a completely useless tactic that will get you killed, since you are spending a few milliseconds blocking instead of not doing anything. You are also slowed by blockhitting, because there's no other way to move while also blockhitting. Unfortunately, the silly notion of blockhitting has worked its way throughout MCSG and beyond to many other PvP/faction servers and is completely useless.
DO - Blocking: A complete difference to block hitting, I'll show you why:
  • Blocking is a different term to 'blockhitting' if you want to obviously "team" with a noob, or block an arrow while in water or an explosion (like on TheHive for example).
    Blocked attacks deal only half the normal damage they normally would (3 heart arrow shot would do 1.5). Blocking does not decrease the sword's durability.

what i'll say

blockhit only when
- both of you are hitting each other at the same time
- 2x1 hole / tunnel

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
hi billa

what you said :

DON'T - Criticals: Criticals are less important in 1.7, the sprint key is were it is at:
  • Most people constantly jump in order to get however but they do not know the effects of jumping, it may seem easy just to keep it on there, or awkward to hold it off, but it is better. Jumping is completely ineffective in general 1v1 combat. Would you rather get 2-3 extra hits then 3 critical strikes?
DO - Flat running/better strafing: This tactic is much better than the usual jump and attack, better mechanic than jumping every second:
  • What is actually more effective is this; This tip was originated from AlLuc, after he kept on beating me in consecutive 1v1's and I couldn't explain how he was beating me so easily. If you keep jumping after each hit, or even before you engage in a fight, you will be hit a lot further, throwing you off guard and confused. This is even worse when a player using the sprint key effectively will demolish you. When holding it down once they are "confused" you can charge straight in again, and again. Over and over allowing you quite easily kill another player. Yes, if to aggressive, you may die from fire depending how skilled this player is and/or if they're in an open area. To easily run away. This tactic is mainly for 2 hit combos instead of the usual one.

what i'll say

being a kangaroo is fun. keep hopping on 'em
i've seen this for approximately 1 1/2 years, and it's that being a kangaroo is more effective than trying to strafe in a circle. it is easy to strafe while being a kangaroo. even if you get kb'd you still can keep hitting them when you charge towards the player. the bonus damage you do can be very deadly. assume you are in a fight with equal gear, your critting will probably save your ass because he/she dies faster. the kb doesn't affect much, unless you are fighting on a cliff, which then if you attempt to crit you're probably dumb

DON'T - Blockhitting: Blockhitting is now completely null and horrible in 1.7 use. The sprint key can easily overcome this tactic without a breeze:
  • Blockhitting is actually a completely useless tactic that will get you killed, since you are spending a few milliseconds blocking instead of not doing anything. You are also slowed by blockhitting, because there's no other way to move while also blockhitting. Unfortunately, the silly notion of blockhitting has worked its way throughout MCSG and beyond to many other PvP/faction servers and is completely useless.
DO - Blocking: A complete difference to block hitting, I'll show you why:
  • Blocking is a different term to 'blockhitting' if you want to obviously "team" with a noob, or block an arrow while in water or an explosion (like on TheHive for example).
    Blocked attacks deal only half the normal damage they normally would (3 heart arrow shot would do 1.5). Blocking does not decrease the sword's durability.

what i'll say

blockhit only when
- both of you are hitting each other at the same time
- 2x1 hole / tunnel
This tactic is mainly used as this game is now revolved around ping. People from AU have some of the most craziest connections seen. I however, have possibly one of the worst, leading me to never get first hit sometimes even with a rod. Because of this issues, a 1v1, when both players are attempting to crit, I'm always knock backed with them receiving a hit on me, and I wasn't able to hit them back. This method I explained has recently been shown by Huahwi, resulting in a simple double hit for you while your opponent is too high in the air to hit you. Video: (From 4:30 - 4:45)

The first one is understandable, to an extent. As for one, you should only be in a sword fight if you've weakened your enemy. If you don't have any secondary's, it'd be some what useful. However, you have to be so careful for combo locks.

The second situation is irrelevant, why put yourself in that situation in the first place? Why would you go to a place like that without knowing what their gear is like? To be honest, that'd just be a stupid move in general.

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
billa
have you ever played on badlion's OCN ladder? i can give you the IP on Skype and you can try that on their players. the guys there are probably top worldwide, and some of them have crazy accuracy.

Billa

District 13
Reaction score
billa
have you ever played on badlion's OCN ladder? i can give you the IP on Skype and you can try that on their players. the guys there are probably top worldwide, and some of them have crazy accuracy.
I have the ip, yet my connection is average of 250ms, so I can't exactly experience PvP the best on there.

Edit: This thread has now been updated to my experience throughout MCSG in PvP and survival. There is now and 'Edit' section within the thread to my updates and where the thread has been edited.

Last edited:

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
billa
The people on Badlion aren't 'top worldwide', it's hard to define what PvP server would have the 'top worldwide' players. There are some people with crazy skill though (eg Cayden, HattoWolf, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci