• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Fishing Rods

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I am unaware of such a feel?
Obviously you haven't had the moment in breeze island where a powerful person is chasing you, you come up to an island and as a last resort you open a chest, which has a fishing rod in it. He's then closer and you have the joyous feeling of landing a hook to his face then running away in the water.

soggypickle

District 13
Reaction score
Obviously you haven't had the moment in breeze island where a powerful person is chasing you, you come up to an island and as a last resort you open a chest, which has a fishing rod in it. He's then closer and you have the joyous feeling of landing a hook to his face then running away in the water.
I have had that moment.

Except I was the powerful one.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
I personally don't mind fishing rods, they are a legitimate strategy, no matter how annoying it is to come up against them.

I would like the durability of a flint and steel to be lengthened a little bit, though. You only get what, 4 hits with it?

omega_moon

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I personally don't mind fishing rods, they are a legitimate strategy, no matter how annoying it is to come up against them.

I would like the durability of a flint and steel to be lengthened a little bit, though. You only get what, 4 hits with it?
That would make them overpowered.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
I agree with this suggestion actually, even though it's received so much negative feedback throughout this thread. Think about it, Omega isn't asking for fishing rods to be removed (which seems to have been people's main objection, even though it is unfounded), he's merely asking for the durability to be reduced. I consider this a perfectly reasonable idea, and haven't seen anything in this thread that really presents a palpable argument against it.

The idea that seems to have made up the bulk of the reasonable opposition is that using fishing rods is often a key feature of strategy. I agree with this, but I don't think reducing the durability would detract from this. People would be forced to use their fishing poles sparingly, instead of just spam clicking, which would greatly increase the level of strategy required to use them. They would still be able to use them in order to make an escape from a superior opponent, or to launch a teammate forwards. If you use them in your land PvP tactics, you would still be able to, though perhaps with a slight bit of discomfit.

In return for this small disturbance, you greatly reduce the annoying factor of fighting someone with a fishing rod. Think about, fishing rods (except when weilded by pros, who would have the skill to adjust to this) are not used to actually win battles. They're used purely to run away. With the current level of durability, they are able to do that almost indefinitely, giving them the ability to run out the time in DM if they feel like it. A lower durability would still allow them to do this, but it would have a much more finite limit, making fights more interesting, quicker, and overall a more enjoyable experience for all parties involved.

The most valid complaint I've seen has been Tigerstan's question about people who use fishing poles to actually fish. I definitely agree that this is a problem with this suggestion, but it could be solved by a bit of coding to ensure that a fishing pole's durability goes down only when it interacts with an entity as opposed to every time you right clicked. I'm not a programmer,mso I don't know how feasible this is, but it seems pretty reasonable.

TL;DR: I agree with this idea, it's just asking for the durability to be lowered, not for fishing rods to be removed. It would make battles against fishing rod users much less annoying, and still allow people to use them strategically. Fishing could be a problem with it, but having durability only go down on impact with an entity could solve this.

Edit: I listened to your advice, Hyst XD

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Zeno is G33ke's alt account.
Oh boy...if I owned his account too, I'd really have no life. Look at those wins, and calculate how many I'd get a day combined. z.z

On topic - I too agree with the idea...partially. When you compare it to a flint and steel also having lowered durability, you suggest that it should have only 4-5 uses...this is hardly enough to even be used once. Generally, when I push someone forward with one, or push someone back, I use it 4-5 times...it'd be really nice to have at least 10 uses against opponents, maybe even a few more. I have a feeling with so few as 5, it would be difficult to make much of any use out of them. (Generally, when being chased, I don't have time to pull out a new one. 5 uses on land is not enough to get much done but maybe eat one piece of food if you're lucky, let alone pull out a new one.)

Again, I agree as long as it's not too low. Being as low as a flint and steel would be a little much I believe.

omega_moon

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Oh boy...if I owned his account too, I'd really have no life. Look at those wins, and calculate how many I'd get a day combined. z.z

On topic - I too agree with the idea...partially. When you compare it to a flint and steel also having lowered durability, you suggest that it should have only 4-5 uses...this is hardly enough to even be used once. Generally, when I push someone forward with one, or push someone back, I use it 4-5 times...it'd be really nice to have at least 10 uses against opponents, maybe even a few more. I have a feeling with so few as 5, it would be difficult to make much of any use out of them. (Generally, when being chased, I don't have time to pull out a new one. 5 uses on land is not enough to get much done but maybe eat one piece of food if you're lucky, let alone pull out a new one.)

Again, I agree as long as it's not too low. Being as low as a flint and steel would be a little much I believe.
Definitely, i was not thinking 4-5 uses at all when i made this thread, just shorter that a 5 minute DM...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci