• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Fishing Rod Issues

Would you like the fishing rod to be removed from the game?

• Yes. Remove it from the game.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • No; keep the fishing rod as it is.

Votes: 53 86.9%
  • Yes and no; remove it from chests but still allow it to be crafted.

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

Chobski

Diamond
Reaction score
As we all know, the fishing rod is an item of controversy in mcsg. Here's the main 3 reasons:
  • Grants huge advantage to anyone who knows how to use it in a fight
  • Can have unlimited uses if you switch to a weapon after rodding someone
  • Causes unnecessarily drawn-out water fights
Argument: Maybe I'm the only one, but I find the fishing rod to simply be an unfair element of the core mcsg gameplay. I say that having it in the game just causes frustration for many new, unlearned players, and does not really improve the gameplay among pvp veterans. Why don't we purify the pvp: make it simple bow, sword, and flint&steel fights. The fishing rod glitch (or exploit, call it what you will) does devastating damage compared to just using the sword as intended, and does decidedly unfair damage when combined with a critical hit. Also, many players have voiced their dislike of water pvp and fishing rods do nothing but add another annoying element to water chases. Lastly, the unlimited uses factor sends the fishing rod over the edge of unnecessary. The glitch was already described above. From a purely objective standpoint it makes no sense to have fishing rods so freely available in the game, for the reasons listed. So...

Proposition: Remove fishing rods from chests. OR at least test it out on a portion of the servers to see if people are happy with the change. Yes, I know fishing rods can be made with 3 sticks and 2 string, but at least they would be much less common if crafting was the only way to obtain them. Personally I think it would be best to just remove string as well, so fishing rods simply won't be available.

Thanks for reading. I only wish for the pvp here to improve, for myself and others. I don't want this thread to turn into any kind of flame war, but I do wish to pose this request. Have a good day.
People have to adapt to using the rod, it is now a key part of PVP. This is basically like saying take a bow out or an fns. People just have to learn how to use it, just like you learn to use a bow and sword. The fishing rod is only very effective to people who can use it properly. Finally, the way to avoid being rodded in the water is to go under as the fishing rod is ineffective underwater.

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
People have to adapt to using the rod, it is now a key part of PVP. This is basically like saying take a bow out or an fns. People just have to learn how to use it, just like you learn to use a bow and sword. The fishing rod is only very effective to people who can use it properly. Finally, the way to avoid being rodded in the water is to go under as the fishing rod is ineffective underwater.
Bow and FnS were meant to be used as weapons though. Unlike Fishing rod.

Chobski

Diamond
Reaction score
Bow and FnS were meant to be used as weapons though. Unlike Fishing rod.
I agree. The fishing rod was intentionally created for two purposes in vanilla minecraft - to catch fish and to knock mobs back. The plug-in that many PVP servers have allows this knock-back to be used on players, it is a very good angle to take and adds more tactics to the game. I suggest learning the tactic as it is hard to compete with the best players, my solution is "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" :D

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
I agree. The fishing rod was intentionally created for two purposes in vanilla minecraft - to catch fish and to knock mobs back. The plug-in that many PVP servers have allows this knock-back to be used on players, it is a very good angle to take and adds more tactics to the game. I suggest learning the tactic as it is hard to compete with the best players, my solution is "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" :D
I know the tactic. I use it myself.
All I'm saying on this thread is that they should become less common.
That's because someone was smart about finding a unique way to use it, instead of fishing..
Which is one of the reasons why it should be in tier 2's instead of tier 1's

Wickyy

Career
Reaction score
lol fishing rods are no where as op as they were in 1.6, its t pretty easy to avoid getting rod spammed in 1.7.

shadowblaze12

Diamond
Reaction score
dood i kno wat u men cuz i wus facing a skrub de oder dai nd he rekt me 10 hearts cuz fishy poly, but den, i mastred de secondary, nd i is nou bettr den lefygrentea

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci