• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What Do Americans Do On 9/11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ephiza

Before anything, let me inform you that Argentina is not a "third world country".

Anyhow, the events of 9/11 were among the most tragic terrorist attacks in American history. The Haiti earthquake, while a tragedy, is a natural disaster. The September 11 attacks are a pure result of terrorist activity...an attack on most powerful nation in the world.

3,000 or so humans ceased to exist after the attacks. Live phone calls from within the burning buildings are on record.
One of them ends with the last words spoken by a man, along the lines of "Oh god, OHHH-", as the entire WTC collapsed. Unable to bear the heat and noxious fumes, dozens of citizens jumped and fell, plummeting to their death as millions watched.

You mention the only reason it was given so much attention was because it was in the U.S.
I agree, but only to a certain extent. Like I said, the U.S. is, without a doubt the strongest, most powerful nation in the world. There's a reason al-Qaeda targeted the buildings it targeted: To strike directly at the symbols of American economic and military might, seeing as both the WTC and the Pentagon were hit.

Unlike what most people think, this was not part of a plan to kill american citizens. No, rather, it was just the above, as well as the following:
Smart Scott is Smart. Except when you forget to nominate 3 people for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge...dammit scott!

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
Before anything, let me inform you that Argentina is not a "third world country".

Anyhow, the events of 9/11 were among the most tragic terrorist attacks in American history. The Haiti earthquake, while a tragedy, is a natural disaster. The September 11 attacks are a pure result of terrorist activity...an attack on most powerful nation in the world.

3,000 or so humans ceased to exist after the attacks. Live phone calls from within the burning buildings are on record.
One of them ends with the last words spoken by a man, along the lines of "Oh god, OHHH-", as the entire WTC collapsed. Unable to bear the heat and noxious fumes, dozens of citizens jumped and fell, plummeting to their death as millions watched.

You mention the only reason it was given so much attention was because it was in the U.S.
I agree, but only to a certain extent. Like I said, the U.S. is, without a doubt the strongest, most powerful nation in the world. There's a reason al-Qaeda targeted the buildings it targeted: To strike directly at the symbols of American economic and military might, seeing as both the WTC and the Pentagon were hit.

Unlike what most people think, this was not part of a plan to kill american citizens. No, rather, it was just the above, as well as the following:
2,977 people. Don't make it worse that it has to be.

E

Ephiza

2,977 people. Don't make it worse that it has to be.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score

You are right we are not 3rd world, dang Im so stupid, Ive made that mistake plenty of times, sorry about that.
And yes, as I said in my previous post, I did not give the best comparison with the Haiti thing.

The objectives you pointed out I cant deny, you are right. What I wanted to say was just on the matter of how much attention it would get worldwide rather than the US, I mean, of course people of the same country that was attacked would be horrified.

Binct

Career
Reaction score
I always fear giving my opinion on this because I dont want to offend anybody but this time Ill say it.
I do rekon this was an awful tragedy and in no way I mean to disrespect the US or anyone who lost someone in that incident but... far worse tragedies happened before and after 9/11, yet the only reason it was given huge attention and it was called "The worst tragedy of modern times" (Headings of lots of news papers had that for title) is because it happened in the US.
I can bet you all if something like that would have happened in a 3rd world country like mine or many others, at the most, it would have gotten attention for some months to a year. Want an example? The Haiti earthquake that killed lots of people in that whole country, for an enire year (at the most) everbody was singing "we are the world", there were videos and news about all the help that was being given there, then everybody forgot about it. The worst part is, that country was suffering for extreme poverty way before the earthquake, but lots of people had to die at once for other countries to turn their heads....

I think Ive made my point, you are free to disagree, but I want to clarify again that in no way I intend to bash at the US or its people nor offend anybody sensible about this incident.
There are plenty of natural disasters that kill and leave millions of American's homeless (I.E. Hurricane Katrina), and they also do not get as much attention as 9/11. I feel 9/11 get's the attention it does because it was an act of war, which not only got Americans in the WTCs killed, but also American soldiers, Al Qaeda members, and MANY citizens that lived in Al Qaeda controlled territory.

Adding on to that, many Americans saw this event live either on t.v. or in New York. I personally know people working in the building at the time since I live in New York.

BTW: Did not mean to start a flame war or anything, just giving you my, personal, thoughts.

J

Joel/MadDawg

In response to all of the people who have pointed out a difference between natural disasters and terrorist attacks... The end result of each is still the same (people tragically dead), so I really don't think it's a good argument to claim that one event is more important/terrible than another. It does sound a lot worse to say that humans killed other humans intentionally instead of unstoppable nature, but when nature does thousands of times the damage it is hard to argue for either side. I think we can all agree that both terrorism and natural disasters are awful, so what's the point in having to vindicate your country's struggles by saying one is worse than the other?

Chris

Platinum
Reaction score
We remember all of the 2900+ people who had been killed that day. There were 4 different planes. 2 into the World Trade Center, 1 into the Pentagon, and the last was crashed before hitting their target. It was by far the biggest attack on the U.S. However, if we go to current time, with ISIS or ISIL, Barack Obama doesn't seem to be really that sure of his plan due to the fact that he contradicted himself so much on Wednesday. First he said that we were only going to send in more drones and start sending in more air strikes. He also said he wasnt going to put boots on the ground (no soldiers on the ground). However, he said that he is sending people over to Iraq... I found his speech fairly confusing.

BritishShoop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The stupid thing about 9/11 is that 3000 people die in wars and stuff and bombings on average every day, and the only reason 9/11 is so big is because it happened in home territory.
That is a little cold, but I admit that it's true

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
Play games of Jenga, of course.

As bad as that joke was, you won't hear about it too much now. I didn't even see any Instagram posts on it, which was the way to go last year.

evil_gnome123

Career
Reaction score
our school does some moments of silence, and i personally (not to mean offense to anyone) laugh inside when people say that the terrorist where behind it all and that a plane actually crashed into the pentagon or that the planes crashing into the twin towers where commercial airliners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci