• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What Do Americans Do On 9/11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Res

Diamond
Reaction score
Watch clips of the day it happened and get themselves depressed as heck.

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
Fun story, my family was on a flight flying over New York the same day. We estimated it was a couple of planes before the WTC flight. They pulled our plane out of the sky in Dallas- not sure, will check later and update. I was a little over 1 at the time, and they grounded us in the airport for a good 2-3 days, giving us anything we needed including diapers in such. It was pretty scary for my parents, as they had no idea what was happening at the time (2001, no smartphones man).

Pretty scary thinking about it, and extremely lucky looking back on it.

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
I always fear giving my opinion on this because I dont want to offend anybody but this time Ill say it.
I do rekon this was an awful tragedy and in no way I mean to disrespect the US or anyone who lost someone in that incident but... far worse tragedies happened before and after 9/11, yet the only reason it was given huge attention and it was called "The worst tragedy of modern times" (Headings of lots of news papers had that for title) is because it happened in the US.
I can bet you all if something like that would have happened in a 3rd world country like mine or many others, at the most, it would have gotten attention for some months to a year. Want an example? The Haiti earthquake that killed lots of people in that whole country, for an enire year (at the most) everbody was singing "we are the world", there were videos and news about all the help that was being given there, then everybody forgot about it. The worst part is, that country was suffering for extreme poverty way before the earthquake, but lots of people had to die at once for other countries to turn their heads....

I think Ive made my point, you are free to disagree, but I want to clarify again that in no way I intend to bash at the US or its people nor offend anybody sensible about this incident.
I understand there are worse things, but the point is that Al-Qaeda did this purposely. Their intention WAS TO KILL thousands of innocent lives. An earthquake is no ones fault. Two completely different things here.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I always fear giving my opinion on this because I dont want to offend anybody but this time Ill say it.
I do rekon this was an awful tragedy and in no way I mean to disrespect the US or anyone who lost someone in that incident but... far worse tragedies happened before and after 9/11, yet the only reason it was given huge attention and it was called "The worst tragedy of modern times" (Headings of lots of news papers had that for title) is because it happened in the US.
I can bet you all if something like that would have happened in a 3rd world country like mine or many others, at the most, it would have gotten attention for some months to a year. Want an example? The Haiti earthquake that killed lots of people in that whole country, for an enire year (at the most) everbody was singing "we are the world", there were videos and news about all the help that was being given there, then everybody forgot about it. The worst part is, that country was suffering for extreme poverty way before the earthquake, but lots of people had to die at once for other countries to turn their heads....

I think Ive made my point, you are free to disagree, but I want to clarify again that in no way I intend to bash at the US or its people nor offend anybody sensible about this incident.
There is a HUGE difference between a natural disaster and a terrorist attacks. Natural disasters are "natural" and they happen and are not preventable, we can only try to limit the damage. A terrorist attack is something terrible done by other people with the solo intention to kill and hurt others.

Also, if you live in that country events that occurred in that place effected you way more than those that happen in others. Sure the US was sending lots of help to Haiti, but after they have gotten themselves back together, the US goes back to focusing on itself the US. Things that happen in the US are going to stick with Americans for much longer than those that happen in Haiti. Simply, because it effected us personally, rather than across the Caribbean. This goes the other way too, Haiti will always remember the Earthquake way more than 9/11, because it effected them personally.

TheOnlyChanse

Diamond
Reaction score
In school we had the moment of silence and we watched a documentary about 9/11 for my english class. We had to write down 30-50 words or phrases from the video and we're going to make a poem type kind of thing with it.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I would say MCGamerzism there really is no set thing. It depends on where you are, what school you go to, and countless other factors. Most schools do some kind of moment of silence and remembrance thing though.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
There is a HUGE difference between a natural disaster and a terrorist attacks. Natural disasters are "natural" and they happen and are not preventable, we can only try to limit the damage. A terrorist attack is something terrible done by other people with the solo intention to kill and hurt others.

Also, if you live in that country events that occurred in that place effected you way more than those that happen in others. Sure the US was sending lots of help to Haiti, but after they have gotten themselves back together, the US goes back to focusing on itself the US. Things that happen in the US are going to stick with Americans for much longer than those that happen in Haiti. Simply, because it effected us personally, rather than across the Caribbean. This goes the other way too, Haiti will always remember the Earthquake way more than 9/11, because it effected them personally.
I do agree on the Terrorism and Natural disaster thing you mentioned, perhaps I didnt use the best example.

And to all the other answers I got, I must clarify, with what I said, I wasnt intending on making the 9/11 incident seems less horrible and tragic as it was. It was an awful and horrible tragedy, what Im trying to point out, is that if this kind of incident would have happened in most other countries in the world, it would have got forgotten a long time ago and it wouldnt have received as much attention.

Xystz

Quantum
Reaction score
I do agree on the Terrorism and Natural disaster thing you mentioned, perhaps I didnt use the best example.

And to all the other answers I got, I must clarify, with what I said, I wasnt intending on making the 9/11 incident seems less horrible and tragic as it was. It was an awful and horrible tragedy, what Im trying to point out, is that if this kind of incident would have happened in most other countries in the world, it would have got forgotten a long time ago and it wouldnt have received as much attention.
How do you know that? Has this happened in another country? o_O

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score

Before anything, the terms 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world were originally created to represent political alignment. In example, Switzerland was considered a "third world" country for being neutral. The USSR was "second world" and the U.S. and all of its allies were "first world".

Anyhow, the events of 9/11 were among the most tragic terrorist attacks in American history. The Haiti earthquake, while a tragedy, is a natural disaster. The September 11 attacks are a pure result of terrorist activity...an attack on most powerful nation in the world.

3,000 or so humans ceased to exist after the attacks. Live phone calls from within the burning buildings are on record.
One of them ends with the last words spoken by a man, along the lines of "Oh god, OHHH-", as the entire WTC collapsed. Unable to bear the heat and noxious fumes, dozens of citizens jumped and fell, plummeting to their death as millions watched.

You mention the only reason it was given so much attention was because it was in the U.S.
I agree, but only to a certain extent. Like I said, the U.S. is, without a doubt the strongest, most powerful nation in the world. There's a reason al-Qaeda targeted the buildings it targeted: To strike directly at the symbols of American economic and military might, seeing as both the WTC and the Pentagon were hit.

Unlike what most people think, this was not part of a plan to kill american citizens. No, rather, it was just the above, as well as the following:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci