• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCGamer's (Un)Official Pokemon League!

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Literally the only reason I play OU is because of Latias, my Latias runs a completely unheard-of set as well, based around Reflect Type. If Latias was UU, I'd drag her, my Gardevoir, my Zoroark, and my Malamar straight into UU (I'd need to ditch Sableye and Wobbufett, I was planing on ditching Sableye anyway and since Shadow Tag was banned to OU Wobbufett is pointless).

Sounds good, I'll be home hopefully by Sunday or Monday.
Reflect type Latias was actually pretty viable in 5th gen in order to beat KLT (Keldeo/Landorus/Tyranitar- a popular core) which allowed Latias to not be pursuit trapped by Ttar and thus continue to deal with Keldeo and Landorus. It also stopped any Scizors from grabbing momentum or, similarly, pursuit trapping you.

The bottom line is that there are two forms of creativity in pokemon- innovative but viable sets and gimmicks. From what I gather, you, for the most part, use gimmicks. Gimmicks are good fun, and I am by no means out to bash them as I have used my fair share in the past. However, because of a lack of knowledge of the metagame(s), newer players tend to be unaware of innovation when faced with it- for example, an Expert Belt Keldeo (which was a groundbreaking set popularised by Shurtugal back in B2W2) would just be a boring, standard Keldeo in the untrained eyes of a newer player. Hence, newer players often have a tendency to bash what they see more experienced players use, brandishing their gimmicks and claiming some sort of moral high ground, especially when the touchy subject of ladder position is brought up.

In summary, what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't bash experienced players for not using unviable sets or inferior (from a competitive standpoint) pokemon- for all you know they could be transforming the OU metagame with their innovation.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
Reflect type Latias was actually pretty viable in 5th gen in order to beat KLT (Keldeo/Landorus/Tyranitar- a popular core) which allowed Latias to not be pursuit trapped by Ttar and thus continue to deal with Keldeo and Landorus. It also stopped any Scizors from grabbing momentum or, similarly, pursuit trapping you.

The bottom line is that there are two forms of creativity in pokemon- innovative but viable sets and gimmicks. From what I gather, you, for the most part, use gimmicks. Gimmicks are good fun, and I am by no means out to bash them as I have used my fair share in the past. However, because of a lack of knowledge of the metagame(s), newer players tend to be unaware of innovation when faced with it- for example, an Expert Belt Keldeo (which was a groundbreaking set popularised by Shurtugal back in B2W2) would just be a boring, standard Keldeo in the untrained eyes of a newer player. Hence, newer players often have a tendency to bash what they see more experienced players use, brandishing their gimmicks and claiming some sort of moral high ground, especially when the touchy subject of ladder position is brought up.

In summary, what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't bash experienced players for not using unviable sets or inferior (from a competitive standpoint) pokemon- for all you know they could be transforming the OU metagame with their innovation.
Yeah that makes sence, but still theres quite an annoying problem with OU in my eyes. My main problem is people always seem to use the same broken pokemon with almost the same movesets. Id rather have an original team with original movesets, yes I dont win as much, but I find it more fun. I mean, whats the point of having 700+ pokemon is people always use the same 50.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I mean, whats the point of having 700+ pokemon is people always use the same 50.
That's what other tiers are for, in my mind. Stuff like Malamar just have no place in OU.

I do get your point about orginal vs viable though. Fun should always take priority, but for some players fun is challenging yourself to reach a certain spot on the ladder. All I ask is that you don't think badly of these players simply because their idea of fun differs from yours.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
That's what other tiers are for, in my mind. Stuff like Malamar just have no place in OU.

I do get your point about orginal vs viable though. Fun should always take priority, but for some players fun is challenging yourself to reach a certain spot on the ladder. All I ask is that you don't think badly of these players simply because their idea of fun differs from yours.
Nah I dont think badly of them, I just prefer a different playstyle :p

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score

When I reach around 1700 on my alts, a lot of the people I meet disregard many of my sets as gimmicks. For example, I used to run a Banded Ferrothorn (from a dare from my brother ;P) and I copped all sorts of abuse from the guy I was against.

DatPikachu

District 13
Reaction score
I'm going to sound like a noob here, but what does 1500+ actually mean?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci