• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Go Back to MCSGv1 For 1 Week

Vox

Career
Reaction score
A complete rollback to MCSGv1 is not happening and will never happen for a couple of reasons.
  1. It would confuse newer members by the drastic change in gameplay.
  2. The internal structure of our servers has changed heavily since v2 was introduced. Because of this, we'd have to take time out of improving v2 and put it into something that'd only stick around for a week.
  3. The database structure was also completely revamped with v2. We'd have to convert everything back to the old database structure, meaning we'd have to spend time on an import script. This isn't happening either.
Simply put, we're not going to "start over" on v1. The main purpose of v2 was in fact to "start fresh", because with all the developers that have worked with the old codebase, plenty of different bits of code and coding styles have been mixed in, making it nearly impossible to fix bugs. With v2, we're a lot stricter amongst ourselves about which code can get pushed to the servers and which code has to be redone, eliminating this potential future problem.
Crying face.

Sixorr

Diamond
Reaction score
Am I honestly the only person that thought V1 was ugly (just look at those chat colours, ew) with much worse features? V2 is much, much better, and has allowed for brilliant new features that never before existed (custom deathmatch arenas, multiple cornucopias, polls, awesome moderating features, new map voting features, sponsoring and a lot more). V2 is a lot better than V1 and I would never want to go back.
A long time ago there was a custom DM arena. I remember I got my first win on it because the sand was falling, and I punched zeejayy into the lava.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I just skimmed some comments, but like I think RC said, the reason it was fun back in beta and early v1 was because everyone was new and everything about SG was fresh, because it wasn't done anywhere else in such an awesome way as here. Also, because nobody new the maps back then. Now, many people have chest routes on maps before they come out.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
A long time ago there was a custom DM arena. I remember I got my first win on it because the sand was falling, and I punched zeejayy into the lava.
Yes, and it was laggy, hard to spectate and the same one every single time. Map-makers can now have custom ones for their maps.

Sixorr

Diamond
Reaction score
Yes, and it was laggy, hard to spectate and the same one every single time. Map-makers can now have custom ones for their maps.
Not laggy for me, and I used to run 30 fps on tiny on SG1.

subtato

District 13
Reaction score
I'm going to clarify this for everyone to make sure everyone understands.
As Forairan simply mentioned earlier, we cannot revert to MCSGv1, even temporarily. The database is different, the player data is different, the way the server communicates with the data storage (MySQL) is different. MCSGv2 is different.
If we were to put MCSGv1 on any server now, it wouldn't store data, it wouldn't read data, it wouldn't have people's ranks, and it most certainly wouldn't even work on 1.5.x or higher. You wouldn't be able to join a game.
Yes, we do have access to the MCSGv1 source code, as it is used for referencing any old logic that might be needed (thus far it hasn't been), but we will not put up MCSGv1 again. It strained too much power from the servers, which MCSGv2 rectified that.

In the end, it's not worth the hassle converting any broken code to work with 1.5.x (which wouldn't take too long to do), and it's not worth setting up ranks, donor perks, or even setting up the database per each location.

Otto

Diamond
Reaction score
Though it would be good, like the potato just said, it cant be done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci