• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Forum Achievements - High Post Counts [rant ;-;]

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
[rant]

Hello.
Before I begin, I would just like to say that if you're not one of the people that this is aimed at, please don't take offense at this. I just want to take out some of my feelings, and this is my opinion, or how I see things at this time. My views may change in the future (Although I kind of doubt that I'll change much on this topic) However if you are one of the people that this is aimed at.. well, feel free to consider this and try to change. But I'm not going to force you, I just hope that I can perhaps persuade you.

I'm seeing more and more people reaching things like 1000 posts. But whenever I see someone who did that and I don't recognize their name, I go: "How did they get 1k posts without me noticing?!" So I sometimes check their Likes count... recently, I saw someone with over 1,000 posts - and less than 150 likes!
I'm not going to name anyone in particular, but if you see this thread and you know you're one of those people... think about it, please?

What does a high post count signify?
It's supposed to show that you accomplished something, right? You did something cool, you achieved something that takes time, effort, and perseverance. 1,000 posts takes many people months to accomplish, some have been forum members for over a year and still haven't reached it.

But... what if you didn't put effort into it?
What if you simply sat at your desk a few hours a day for a few weeks and spammed forum games, clan threads, and made other small, short posts like "sounds cool" or "I agree" that really didn't contribute to the forums?
Have you really accomplished anything? Did that take effort? Did you take time and think about what you were going to write, and hope to inform someone, contribute to a discussion, or give relevant information or input? Think about it. How often do you write something that is not typical, is not unoriginal, and is not bland?

People search for recognition or something to point at and say, "Look! I did that!"
But... do you really deserve credit for it? Yeah you may have typed 1000 different things and hit the Post button 1000 times, but consider all the other people who actually post useful, helpful information. Can you give yourself the same amount of credit that someone else might give them?

[/rant]

DatPikachu

District 13
Reaction score
This makes me remember sitting at my old mac when I fianlly hit 500 messages (and 100 wins btw). I was really happy, I thought I did something. But back then, all I did was play forum games and type one liners on half the threads I posted on. I'm better now, though.

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think it's a good point but generally people gain recognition on the forums for their content anyway, most forumers can tell if someone just spammed 'nice map' etc. etc. etc. from the whole "1000 post 150 likes" thing, and people generally look out for what other people post rather than their post count, a.k.a. quality over quantity.

on that note, 100 posts!

Bamber

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Um...to any people who's seen me on the forums....have I contributed in a positive way? Like...do I deserve the title "Active Member"?

Or am I one of them? Cuz I'm really not too sure...

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
Well, although I was one of the people who would be at the forum games a lot, I had already stopped posting on forum games back when I got "active member".

The thing is... no matter what you do, few are going to get well known, its not a matter of the amount of posts but rather of the quality of posts.
The active member rank, as well as the archievements that lead to it, are made to prove you are active and post often, not well known or popular. At least thats how I see it.
If there was a way to measure the quality of people's posts, id love to see archievements/ranks on that... that way people would stop complaining about not getting recognition for a rank that is purely to show you are active, not popular.

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I completely agree with this.
I see people bragging about their "active member" when as you stated all they have done is make useless threads, and make useless comment I fail to see why.
I also don't take likes into perspective. I think that many people get liked spam.
How I view someone is by what I see them post.
For an example whenever I see Mooclan post, I expect a good helpful post/thread.
I won't name the opposite of this, because I don't want to start a flame war.

So yeah, my message of this post is simply, don't judge a player from their likes/posts. Judge them from what you see of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci