• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Don't shut down the AS Community!

Should AS Servers reduce from 12 servers to 4-5 servers?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • Nope.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

savva60

Experienced
Reaction score
The only reason why there is so much inactive as players currently is because 1.7.2 has no optifine, and we want AS servers to be compatible with 1.6.4 too.
I don't want to do this because 1.7 has very few hack clients- so very few hackers. With 1.6.4, there will be so much more people using hacked clients.

Upperbyte

Diamond
Reaction score
Facts are facts.. if the community is so small that if the downsides outweigh the upsides.. then it needs to be shut down. There really is no reason whatsoever to keep servers that are that expensive.. and never played.

I know that the few AS players that are there.. will be upset.. but if it needs done.. it needs done. As far as "AS" being more competitive than "US".. I've played both.. and I can honestly say that US is WAAAAY more competitive if you play on the lower servers.. obviously if ur playing on like.. us200.. not gonna be too many good players. AS is just full of huge teams.. really annoying to play to be honest.
You said that AS servers are expensive and never played. But there are reasons to it as to why. Firstly, AS servers sure they are expensive. It's because they have 12 servers being hosted and we the AS players do not really need so much. Maybe 3 to 5 servers will do. Normally most AS servers are empty so a 3 to 5 servers will be enough. And also, there are plenty of donors in the AS servers. They are also contributing and helping to cover the cost of AS servers.

As to why it's never often played, I stated the reasons in my first post already. It's probably because of 1.7.2, sound bug (which is annoying of course as you can't even tell whether you light that person with flint and steel and more reasons to it) and big teams. If you are not sure of the sound bug, here's the post about it. It's somewhere below on page 11. You can check it here.

Next point is about the huge teams. I know is irritating and annoying. I once played solo in there and team of 4 or 5 killed me. I remembered last time in the AS community during when it was
1.6.4, there weren't so many big teams. But now... :(

I don't want to do this because 1.7 has very few hack clients- so very few hackers. With 1.6.4, there will be so much more people using hacked clients.
In my opinion, it's probably
1.7 that are bringing the AS community down. Some AS players require Optifine to play MCSG properly (like me) and without it, will be hard to play. As for the hackers in 1.6.4, you still can record them of abusing hacks.

The only reason why there is so much inactive as players currently is because 1.7.2 has no optifine, and we want AS servers to be compatible with 1.6.4 too.
Maybe it would be good for the developers and admins to downgrade AS servers to
1.6.4. As the US servers can be played with both 1.7.2 and 1.6.4, I really hope that this feature can be implemented into the AS servers. I believe this way more players will be playing back in the AS servers. Most of us just need Optifine to play.

This guy is the reason why AS still exists. XD
Thanks! I'm just stating my opinions. I hope that AS servers can be back to
1.6.4 and maybe more players will play there. :D

Last edited:
M

MrMad2000

You said that AS servers are expensive and never played. But there are reasons to it as to why. Firstly, AS servers sure they are expensive. It's because they have 12 servers being hosted and we the AS players do not really need so much. Maybe 3 to 5 servers will do. Normally most AS servers are empty so a 3 to 5 servers will be enough. And also, there are plenty of donors in the AS servers. They are also contributing and helping to cover the cost of AS servers.

As to why it's never often played, I stated the reasons in my first post already. It's probably because of 1.7.2, sound bug (which is annoying of course as you can't even tell whether you light that person with flint and steel and more reasons to it) and big teams. If you are not sure of the sound bug, here's the post about it. It's somewhere below on page 11. You can check it here.

Next point is about the huge teams. I know is irritating and annoying. I once played solo in there and team of 4 or 5 killed me. I remembered last time in the AS community during when it was
1.6.4, there weren't so many big teams. But now... :(

In my opinion, it's probably
1.7 that are bringing the AS community down. Some AS players require Optifine to play MCSG properly (like me) and without it, will be hard to play. As for the hackers in 1.6.4, you still can record them of abusing hacks.

Thanks for reading. :)
This guy is the reason why AS still exists. XD

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
They shouldn't shut them down without trying the 4-5 servers first.
Who said they were going to shut em down straight away? At the current stage it's an idea - nothing is confirmed or denied. Chad's most recent post outlines that December will be a trial month for AS and if it doesn't hit the mark it'll be shut down.

Now, moving on, the arguments for keeping it around all seem to revolve around having good communities, but facts are facts - if MCSG isn't receiving enough money to support AS servers I simply don't think they should be there; perhaps 5-6 servers will do, but that once again is linked to the budget Chad has to deal with. AS isn't the only community that's very close; I can't really speak on behalf of US and EU (although they seem to have great players in them), but practically everyone in Au knows each other. The community will only be ripped apart if people decide that they don't want to play because there aren't anymore AS servers.

I would dearly love for AS to stick around but we need to remember that in short and simple terms, at the end of the day, MCGamer is a business.

Upperbyte

Diamond
Reaction score
Who said they were going to shut em down straight away? At the current stage it's an idea - nothing is confirmed or denied. Chad's most recent post outlines that December will be a trial month for AS and if it doesn't hit the mark it'll be shut down.

Now, moving on, the arguments for keeping it around all seem to revolve around having good communities, but facts are facts - if MCSG isn't receiving enough money to support AS servers I simply don't think they should be there; perhaps 5-6 servers will do, but that once again is linked to the budget Chad has to deal with. AS isn't the only community that's very close; I can't really speak on behalf of US and EU (although they seem to have great players in them), but practically everyone in Au knows each other. The community will only be ripped apart if people decide that they don't want to play because there aren't anymore AS servers.

I would dearly love for AS to stick around but we need to remember that in short and simple terms, at the end of the day, MCGamer is a business.
Firstly, there are plenty of AS donors in the AS community contributing to the cost of MCGamer. I don't see a need for the shutting down of AS servers. We can accept it if the servers are reduced to 4 to 5 and that will be better for us. It's better to keep AS servers or reduce them so as to not let the community to ripped apart. True that some players will decide to quit MCSG if there weren't AS servers left. Thus not to let AS players quit MCSG because of that, it's better to keep AS servers.

Secondly, a business requires a profit and also the AS players have been contributing to the server costs. You will be several donors at one of the AS servers sometimes. Although there aren't many AS players but I believe the contributions from AS servers should be quite enough for the server costs. If the servers were to reduce to half, the costs will be reduced by half. That would meant great savings for the AS servers. Furthermore, we do not require that much AS servers (like currently we have 12). :)

Gustav Mahikano

Diamond
Reaction score
Firstly, there are plenty of AS donors in the AS community contributing to the cost of MCGamer. I don't see a need for the shutting down of AS servers. We can accept it if the servers are reduced to 4 to 5 and that will be better for us. It's better to keep AS servers or reduce them so as to not let the community to ripped apart. True that some players will decide to quit MCSG if there weren't AS servers left. Thus not to let AS players quit MCSG because of that, it's better to keep AS servers.

Secondly, a business requires a profit and also the AS players have been contributing to the server costs. You will be several donors at one of the AS servers sometimes. Although there aren't many AS players but I believe the contributions from AS servers should be quite enough for the server costs. If the servers were to reduce to half, the costs will be reduced by half. That would meant great savings for the AS servers. Furthermore, we do not require that much AS servers (like currently we have 12). :)
If they're contemplating removing As servers because the income coming from it is simply not high enough the whole basis of your argument is invalid. Compare the amount of donators to Us, Eu, or Au - it isn't very much at all, and that can be proven.

I've also said that I don't think they need to be shut down; perhaps Chad can compensate and keep 5 or 6 running, but money can't be pulled out of a hat. It's not about saying 'Oh no I don't wanna crush the community' - it's about not having the cash to keep it from being destroyed. That being said, there are many servers to move to if worst comes to happen. As isn't the only community that is supposedly strong (not that I can prove or deny that) but I believe that others are just as strong, if not stronger.

Thedorkyd1

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I saw a couple of people that I know live in Asia, playing on the AU servers today. There simply isn't enough players on AS to actually start a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci