• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do you remember when....?

Blamph

District 13
Reaction score
TL;DR - Boom, first time this has been in the front of a post? If you want some nostalgic feels, just read/skim through it all.

I could probably write a novel about what I remember, but I won't bore everyone with that unless they really wanted to read it.

Old_Spice_ - You were one of the original Diamond donators also? Do you remember the old diamond donor point glitch that happened where we were gaining thousands for no reason? Crazy stuff! There were only 7 of us back in June, though anatoli also joined the list in July (don't ask how I remember these names), ThatDamnWalrus, Vovanukas, nethercast123, TheIrishFighter, alexdude729, rager144, and then Blamph. I personally loved having that diamond color, as it was a great way for me to get my name out there as a memorable player back when every player out there was vying for notoriety. I don't remember one match where I wasn't yelled at by a non-donor for being a "rich kid who would spend a stupid amount of money for a color". i cri evrytim. Truth is, I was working a lot at the time doing landscaping, so I worked my butt off for that money.

Now for what I remember. I remember pretty much everything from my experience. Joining (May 2012) and literally saying "screw it" after not being able to get into one of the 10 servers quick enough, then donating immediately. I donated for iron before I ever even played a match, which was also the first day I bought and installed Minecraft. It took 24 hours for Chad to activate my donator, so I did play a few matches that first day in beta, shockingly. What everyone said is true, it was SO damn tough to get a spot in one of those servers. The reason why wins were so rewarding and difficult to get back then, contrary to popular belief that the skill level of everyone was just at minimal basics, it was actually because in every single match there were always a few of the top 10-20 players in it. We were absolutely starving for the top spot, and the competition was honestly some of the best I've ever experienced in a video game; because not only was everyone pretty new to the game mode, but because we were a small community of players who mutually respected each other (the top players at least). Very few of us actually spoke to each other in May and early June, but that was what made it so.. fun and different. We didn't know each other at all (except a rare few by name, e.g. The_Arena_Master) in May. With nothing to go off of besides their leaderboard spot, it was always exhilarating being in a match with some of the top players in beta and early V1. I remember so many battles in beta (back when I was in the top 20-50 in the beta leaderboards) against some of the top 10 players like Biffington, Some_Mugger, PanuterNut, Aeruner, etc, and just being absolutely intimidated but actually feeling a passion inside of me to hopefully make it to that final two so I could prove myself against them while proving to myself that I had what it took to get to the top myself. Seriously, joining one of the very few servers and seeing two - three top 10 players was interesting, and it's something that won't happen again. That, along with the fact that matches took 30 - 60 minutes, ~40 minutes being the average if you didn't have a Skype friend to spec for you, made climbing the leaderboards a time consuming thing (though with the wins required nowadays, it wasn't quite at the level its at now!)

It might seem like the skill required to do good in matches back then was laughable at best, but what most don't realize is that the skill you saw from old videos of top players from back then was the top skill, and that hardcore strategy wasn't known, so being good at consistently strafing and out predicting the movements of your opponent was the equivalent of being great at FnS switching/fishing rod stun of nowadays. It's like how the ancient Romans did what they could with the tools and knowledge that they had at the time, and now in modern times we can build some amazing structures with our new modern tools, materials, and knowledge. Typing this in a really dramatic way, to make it fun for myself haha.

I remember absolutely hating the slow matches of SG1, because it was ALWAYS guaranteed that out of the final 4 players, there were gonna be two players who were sitting in a tree at night in the corner of the map so they didn't die to the skeletons, spiders, etc. The two player deathmatches were extremely fair; but I'll admit, they would work so much better in the new small-map format of today, as opposed to the monster maps of back then. This has probably been mentioned before, but hacking was so prevalent back in 2012, that while I was a mod I'd often be able to record and ban 2-3 hackers a match. One good reason for this was because of how terribly coded Nodus was, making things like derping hilariously noticeable. Though luckily there were no regen hacks, I do remember seeing fly hackers with super speed on nearly daily, because the server hacking detection was still mostly in the works. The only truly amazing patch I remember there being was 1.2.5. NCP was hardly an effect, but just effective enough to stop a good majority of hackers. This was the only patch ever that has been able to register all of my speed clicking hits perfectly, allowing me to get hits off on Minecraft minimum hit registration, often times never giving me any particles (though SixZoSeven was better at it). That was the patch that I reached #1. I remember when the lobby chats were filled with new players actually wanting to make new friends, though that's expected with a new community. I still talk to two out of my first three friends, one of them I text on a near daily basis, and that in my opinion is awesome. In no other gaming communities that I've joined in my 10+ years of PC gaming have I ever met people who I'd be able to consider real friends, as opposed to just online friends. This still happens today though, which I think is amazing. I could go on, but I promised I'd keep this short, and I went way over the limit. Some other things I remember, some good and bad, were things like the first small TS community, being absolutely unknown, applying for moderator and watching as Kricken had to answer all of the questions on the spot because her application was somehow messed up, witnessing Some_Mugger battle log against me on 3 separate occasions, being the only occasions we ever actually fought, being slightly intimidated by Karoleigh because she was a scary woman with power and I was a measly diamond donor/moderator, bigmike4lifes shenanigans, and just honestly being able to look back on the memories of it all. I've met so many players in the past few years, almost all of which have moved on to other things, whether it be becoming MC YouTube stars, top leaderboard contenders, top clan leaders, and even administrators and the likes (CAm). I started when I was still a senior in highschool, so I had a lot of time to dedicate to the community and playing the game. As I get older though, I really wish I could have experienced some of the changes in detail, in particular 2013; but oh well, responsibilities caught up with me haha.

Leaving out things like the beginning of clans, trying to separate myself from the other early top LB players to become more well known, teaming, planning out my YT, and some other gameplay stuff, because this became ridiculously long and I have to get ready for work. My post probably sounds stupidly cheesy, but I consider my time here to have actually changed my life in some good ways, so I love reminiscing about it all. Was interesting reading some of the replies on this thread, definitely cool!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
TL;DR - Boom, first time this has been in the front of a post? If you want some nostalgic feels, just read/skim through it all.

I could probably write a novel about what I remember, but I won't bore everyone with that unless they really wanted to read it.

Old_Spice_ - You were one of the original Diamond donators also? Do you remember the old diamond donor point glitch that happened where we were gaining thousands for no reason? Crazy stuff! There were only 7 of us back in June, though anatoli also joined the list in July (don't ask how I remember these names), ThatDamnWalrus, Vovanukas, nethercast123, TheIrishFighter, alexdude729, rager144, and then Blamph. I personally loved having that diamond color, as it was a great way for me to get my name out there as a memorable player back when every player out there was vying for notoriety. I don't remember one match where I wasn't yelled at by a non-donor for being a "rich kid who would spend a stupid amount of money for a color". i cri evrytim. Truth is, I was working a lot at the time doing landscaping, so I worked my butt off for that money.

Now for what I remember. I remember pretty much everything from my experience. Joining (May 2012) and literally saying "screw it" after not being able to get into one of the 10 servers quick enough, then donating immediately. I donated for iron before I ever even played a match, which was also the first day I bought and installed Minecraft. It took 24 hours for Chad to activate my donator, so I did play a few matches that first day in beta, shockingly. What everyone said is true, it was SO damn tough to get a spot in one of those servers. The reason why wins were so rewarding and difficult to get back then, contrary to popular belief that the skill level of everyone was just at minimal basics, it was actually because in every single match there were always a few of the top 10-20 players in it. We were absolutely starving for the top spot, and the competition was honestly some of the best I've ever experienced in a video game; because not only was everyone pretty new to the game mode, but because we were a small community of players who mutually respected each other (the top players at least). Very few of us actually spoke to each other in May and early June, but that was what made it so.. fun and different. We didn't know each other at all (except a rare few by name, e.g. The_Arena_Master) in May. With nothing to go off of besides their leaderboard spot, it was always exhilarating being in a match with some of the top players in beta and early V1. I remember so many battles in beta (back when I was in the top 20-50 in the beta leaderboards) against some of the top 10 players like Biffington, Some_Mugger, PanuterNut, Aeruner, etc, and just being absolutely intimidated but actually feeling a passion inside of me to hopefully make it to that final two so I could prove myself against them while proving to myself that I had what it took to get to the top myself. Seriously, joining one of the very few servers and seeing two - three top 10 players was interesting, and it's something that won't happen again. That, along with the fact that matches took 30 - 60 minutes, ~40 minutes being the average if you didn't have a Skype friend to spec for you, made climbing the leaderboards a time consuming thing (though with the wins required nowadays, it wasn't quite at the level its at now!)

It might seem like the skill required to do good in matches back then was laughable at best, but what most don't realize is that the skill you saw from old videos of top players from back then was the top skill, and that hardcore strategy wasn't known, so being good at consistently strafing and out predicting the movements of your opponent was the equivalent of being great at FnS switching/fishing rod stun of nowadays. It's like how the ancient Romans did what they could with the tools and knowledge that they had at the time, and now in modern times we can build some amazing structures with our new modern tools, materials, and knowledge. Typing this in a really dramatic way, to make it fun for myself haha.

I remember absolutely hating the slow matches of SG1, because it was ALWAYS guaranteed that out of the final 4 players, there were gonna be two players who were sitting in a tree at night in the corner of the map so they didn't die to the skeletons, spiders, etc. The two player deathmatches were extremely fair; but I'll admit, they would work so much better in the new small-map format of today, as opposed to the monster maps of back then. This has probably been mentioned before, but hacking was so prevalent back in 2012, that while I was a mod I'd often be able to record and ban 2-3 hackers a match. One good reason for this was because of how terribly coded Nodus was, making things like derping hilariously noticeable. Though luckily there were no regen hacks, I do remember seeing fly hackers with super speed on nearly daily, because the server hacking detection was still mostly in the works. The only truly amazing patch I remember there being was 1.2.5. NCP was hardly an effect, but just effective enough to stop a good majority of hackers. This was the only patch ever that has been able to register all of my speed clicking hits perfectly, allowing me to get hits off on Minecraft minimum hit registration, often times never giving me any particles (though SixZoSeven was better at it). That was the patch that I reached #1. I remember when the lobby chats were filled with new players actually wanting to make new friends, though that's expected with a new community. I still talk to two out of my first three friends, one of them I text on a near daily basis, and that in my opinion is awesome. In no other gaming communities that I've joined in my 10+ years of PC gaming have I ever met people who I'd be able to consider real friends, as opposed to just online friends. This still happens today though, which I think is amazing. I could go on, but I promised I'd keep this short, and I went way over the limit. Some other things I remember, some good and bad, were things like the first small TS community, being absolutely unknown, applying for moderator and watching as Kricken had to answer all of the questions on the spot because her application was somehow messed up, witnessing Some_Mugger battle log against me on 3 separate occasions, being the only occasions we ever actually fought, being slightly intimidated by Karoleigh because she was a scary woman with power and I was a measly diamond donor/moderator, bigmike4lifes shenanigans, and just honestly being able to look back on the memories of it all. I've met so many players in the past few years, almost all of which have moved on to other things, whether it be becoming MC YouTube stars, top leaderboard contenders, top clan leaders, and even administrators and the likes (CAm). I started when I was still a senior in highschool, so I had a lot of time to dedicate to the community and playing the game. As I get older though, I really wish I could have experienced some of the changes in detail, in particular 2013; but oh well, responsibilities caught up with me haha.

Leaving out things like the beginning of clans, trying to separate myself from the other early top LB players to become more well known, teaming, planning out my YT, and some other gameplay stuff, because this became ridiculously long and I have to get ready for work. My post probably sounds stupidly cheesy, but I consider my time here to have actually changed my life in some ways (all good), so I love reminiscing about it all. Was interesting reading some of the replies on this thread, definitely cool!
That massive wall of text though O_O

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I like to type :)
<3 My fellow typer! Not many people enjoy typing, sadly.

(I'm actually tryharding/livestreaming 5k posts :p and trying to avoid spamming forumgames/clans and teams. Rather, I'm making an attempt to make relatively decent posts.)

Tigerstain

Diamond
Reaction score

Leaving out things like the beginning of clans, trying to separate myself from the other early top LB players to become more well known, teaming, planning out my YT, and some other gameplay stuff, because this became ridiculously long and I have to get ready for work. My post probably sounds stupidly cheesy, but I consider my time here to have actually changed my life in some good ways, so I love reminiscing about it all. Was interesting reading some of the replies on this thread, definitely cool!
Oh man, the nostalgia in this post is far too strong.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
I remember back when the only map was SG 1 and you once you got into a server and wasnt at risk of getting kicked you could just play games over and over till you got tired because servers didnt kick you out when restarting.

I remeber back when Chad used to stream every friday.... and I SWEAR, Clank would literally kill me at least once ever game on those livestreams whenever Id get close to Chad.

I also remember how much I fanboyed when Chad saw me commented about my skin on one of his friday livestreams :p

Woah! How did I forget that back in beta mobs spawned on maps!! :eek:

I remember getting killed so much by them... on the good side, Killing skeletons was great to tame wolves and wreck people with them at the Deathmatch! xD

Last edited:

Kupi

Diamond
Reaction score
I remember when the sprint mechanic wasn't broken and it actually took legitimate skill to pvp.
when I played v1 I had never joined the forums or teamspeak, I never really payed attention to any names but the one name I did remember was you.You had like 4000 points and were super cocky xD

Tigerstain

Diamond
Reaction score
when I played v1 I had never joined the forums or teamspeak, I never really payed attention to any names but the one name I did remember was you.You had like 4000 points and were super cocky xD
I was pretty arrogant at one point hahaha

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
I remember when you can try to try hard the leaderboards and get somewhere. I did it the last quarter of 2012, raising from a no-one with only a couple of wins to in the top 50 in a month of two. DadBrother was insane. He climbed those leaderboards like a redhead gets looks. Fast af.

mathijs3011

Platinum
Reaction score
I remember when this server was filled with emo girls (the joey fangirls)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci