• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The new (old) age MCSG

pixel

Experienced
Reaction score
(Note: I love you Ceroria) BUT

I personally find it very hard to take an optimistic stance on MCSG when it is completely obvious that the core community's optimism for "a new MCSG" is beyond dead.

I would write more, but I've already responded to the same staff issues year after freaking year.

I'm sick of beating a dead horse.

You should be too.

Last edited:

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
At the top, I just want to say that I have edited some of the previous posts that were specifically naming and attacking particular staff members, especially those being called out in incidents that have been resolved. We all want to bridge the player-staff divide, but targeting individual people for their past mistakes only widens that divide.

I definitely agree that there are still issues that we are having to work through as both a community and a network. But before everyone jumps onto the negativity, "ship is sinking" bandwagon, I wanted to pitch in my perspective on things to dispel misconceptions and provide further clarrification on things that regular players might not have visibility into.

Hit Registration and Anti-Cheat:
I can't comment personally on the hit registration and the anti-cheat issue, but I know that it is a critical issue that Chad and the Devs are aware of. With that being said, I have heard them lamenting that the quality of the reports coming in have diminished in number and usefulness over time; in September, we had enough useful reports with relevant information to use to improve things, but now they instead mainly hear reports of such issues in Discord messages, forum posts, and tweets saying how they are garbage human beings because the block game they work on is bad and they should feel bad. To expect useful bug reports but then get personally attacked for not fixing a bug that you don't have the resources or information to fix is demoralizing, and I fear that such hostility is only holding such improvements back.

So a message to everyone who still wants to help with the Hit Reg and AC issues: stay strong, document everything, and send it in as a bug report. /report still logs information, but we also appreciate things like recordings that include relevant information such as when you were online, what server it occurred on, and whether this is a reoccurring issue or not.

I'm not gonna lie and say that silver bullet miracle fixes are right around the corner if we all wish really hard. But I will say that work is continuing on those issues (including implementing a unique machine learning system to improve hacking detection, I believe), but the issue is complicated and difficult enough that progress will likely feel more like a steady slope of incremental improvements. That's just how these things work, but we can't just force progress just because we want it sooner.
If we all just throw up our hands and admit defeat, then we really are beaten. The way I see it, development issues are like wars of attrition: you only lose when you decide to stop fighting.

Mapping
I can't speak for all of the Mapping Team, so if any of them would like to chime in I'll let them speak with more authority on this matter.

In terms of the chest tiering, Kraken made comments in previous threads complaining about the tiering changes that gave his and his team's opinions, perspectives, and ideology on the matter. I think that, while not all changes made were well received, some level of constant change is what is needed for us to both keep the game fresh and figure out optimal arrangements for chests. Just like how CS:GO, Overwatch, CoD, and other competitive games constantly tweak their maps and game systems to address competitive issues in-game, we are trying to accomplish much the same; we're just figuring it out for the first time, this time.

I like those community map learning event ideas, though. Maybe we can do like a, "Map Beta" system in the future, and award people who participate and provide good feedback!

Community Engagement
Firstly, minor correction: the first OMN had 12 performers that evening, quite a bit more than 2. I know it's not as big as it was in the past, but I wanted to correct that statement so as to not disparage the efforts of the people who both arranged and participated in the event.

Secondly, I agree that we have not done enough in-game events in the time that we were around. And to be honest, I blame myself for that. Throughout Alpha and early Beta while we were waiting for MCSG Maker to arrive, I put a lot of emphasis on the CET on non-gaming matters, namely a few Q&A events that fell through and some information-gathering projects that were not public-facing. When Maker did arrive, I kept pushing for those other in-progress projects to be completed first under the belief that they would be finished soon. Only when the opportunities for the Q&A's finally dissolved and the other projects completed did I personally realize just how much time had passed. Pair that with CET's relatively small numbers, and getting proper community events started has been unfortunately slower than we'd like. That is my fault for being nieve about realistic windows of opportunities for those other tasks and for not being better prepared for games when those opportunities did arise.

With that being said, my goal for 2020 is to make Community Games a top priority for the network as a whole with regular recurring games (at least one per month). We will actually be starting our first Community Games event in January of 2020 on either the 4th or the 11th. It will be a SoloSG tourney of sorts, and prizes for our winner includes $25 of my own cash along with some other non-monetary prizes such as a custom forum title and maybe some digital goodies from MCG (if they are released on time). We are excited to officially host MCG's first competitive Community Games event, and we hope to learn a lot and have a lot of fun with everyone here. Stay tuned for the official announcement and sign-ups!

We are aware of both situations, and Staffing dealt with them appropriately; furthermore, the first picture does not show the full context of the situation, which is key in displaying that the situation was not one of one-sided bullying. While we agree that those were definitely unflattering moments that could have been avoided with some forward-thinking on both sides of those situations, they were not punishment-worthy. If we punished people for making embarassing situations, we would have no staff or players to begin with.

I personally was made aware of that situation and dealt with it immediately, along with other members of our staff's leadership team. We agreed with everyone that there was definitely inappropriate actions that were taken, and the matter was resolved appropriately according to policies. There was a lot of regret and remorse immediately after the fact, and we hope that learning from such occurances will prevent them from happening in the future.
-----

Look, I get that everyone is very frustrated and angry at some of the decisions being made or actions not being taken, and some of that is both understandable and perhaps justifiable. But I think that the worst thing that we can do is give into the defeatism and say, "this place sucks and is doomed". Because by doing so, saying so, and believing so will ultimately make it so, and I don't think any one of us genuinely wants that; if they did, they would already be gone.

Whether we wear the red name, green name, or any other color, what unites us is the drive to make MCGamer a viable and successful community. We may differ on how best to accomplish that, but we must always strive to at least work together on some aspect of the community if we are to have a chance of succeeding. It won't be easy, nice, or always successful, but we must always keep trying. Because one day we will try something that works, and that success will lead us towards the next success. So please, bring your complaints, ideas, reports, and suggestions to me at any time so that we can see what can be done to address them.

I, for one, am here to find ways to make this complicated system work. And I hope everyone here will help us make it work too.

Also, Merry Christmas everyone! I started this post on Christmas Eve, and it's now rolled into Christmas Day. I hope that everyone takes the day to spend with their friends and families, and leave this drama behind.

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
good on you col star for removing everyones posts and making this thread unreadable! what a great service you're doing for this server - removing how everyone feels! bravo!
cmon bro colonel star is a good man he didn't delete any posts and left thorough explanations for each of his edits
don't be toxic just for the sake of being toxic :(

Blake

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
good on you col star for removing everyones posts and making this thread unreadable! what a great service you're doing for this server - removing how everyone feels! bravo!
This thread is about hit reg, mapping and community engagement. Singling out individual staff members for their actions contributes nothing to those topics and isn't beneficial to the conversation.

Philoseason

Tribute
Reaction score
This thread is about hit reg, mapping and community engagement. Singling out individual staff members for their actions contributes nothing to those topics and isn't beneficial to the conversation.
Regardless of the topic, I think removing comments even if it's singling out staff members who are not fit for the position is the right thing to do. Let the community see the bad things these horrific staff members have done

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
I have heard them lamenting that the quality of the reports coming in have diminished in number and usefulness over time
They keep saying "We need you to bugreport everytime something like this happens." It's completely ridiculous, the same thing is happening over and over and over and over. Why should someone keep reporting something that has happened the SAME WAY for over 6 weeks now. The way the nocheat setup is perceived by the community is absolutely pitiful and has single handedly made the server not fun to play.

It's at this point where the anticheat/ nocheat should just be reset to stock values for the live servers so people can get on with things and not be hampered by how shockingly awful the nocheat is, and it should be progressively configured on a private server where volunteer players take their time with the developers to help tune it so it works. Unfortunately the developers have stated they refuse to revert the changes to the nocheat, and will ultimately be the demise of the server. The development of the server led to the servers decline in the past as will it now.

Changes needs to happen ASAP, or everyone is just going to leave.

Lively_

Spectator
Reaction score
You might as well just delete the whole damn thread at this point.

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
One of the more efficient methods of testing an anticheat plugin would be to actually test hacked clients on the server and tweak settings based on player logs/checks. I'm no developer but doing it this way has worked for potpvp servers in the past and works wonders to minimize in-game side effects.
Most cheaters I've encountered on this server are completely immune to nocheatplus because their clients were developed specifically to bypass NCP and other widely available nocheat plugins.
Once again I'm no dev but it's safest to work from the ground up just for gameplay's sake. the anticheat in its current state isn't helping anyone.

also thank you Col_StaR for being a rational sane human it seems those are in short supply these days

edit: not tryna be a bootlicker or anything but you guys gotta chill col is a real human behind that screen and he's dealt with all this as well as anyone could expect him to there's no need for all the sarcasm idk man I'm going to sleep

Last edited:

pixel

Experienced
Reaction score
In terms of the chest tiering, Kraken made comments in previous threads complaining about the tiering changes that gave his and his team's opinions, perspectives, and ideology on the matter.
this man col out here using "ideology" like he a marxist philosopher

JK THAT WAS A JOKE I AM JOKING
In all honesty, I really respect your position Col. You, without question, seem to be actively holding these servers together more than anyone else and I respect the ambition in that. But, by saying that what you’re doing is ambitious, I'm also indirectly indicating that there is a sense of impossibility to what you're doing as well.

When there has been such obvious issues with the staff since 2013, I truly think that it is impossible for these servers to change in any positive way whatsoever. So, yes, I will willfully deepen this gap between the staff and the players because my hope is lost and has been lost since 2013.

I want to give you a metaphor — a really banal one that cringy atheists militantly use to validate themselves as atheists.

The people who truly play MCSG have been stranded on an island and you actually think that the only way for those people to get off the island is to pray for things to be better. Col, I'm sorry, but are you kidding me? I (and many others) have been on this island since 2013. That's six years. Who, in their right mind, could believe that something will change when it still hasn’t for six years?

Stop riding on some wildly romantic "Minecraft Revival" optimism and either give these people a boat or tell them that they're never getting off the island.

Last edited:

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
I've wanted to see tournaments and competitive events for MCSG since its revival since may 2012.

Believe me, if there were a way for me to host tournaments whenever I wanted to we'd likely have weekly smaller tournaments with a bigger tournament every month or two. There simply isn't a feasible way for me to quickly host tournaments though...G33ke and I have wanted to get a tournament going since we joined, but alas, for a handful of reasons, simply haven't been able to. To put it briefly: I don't have the proper permissions/tools and resources to accomplish this. Obviously it would be a dream come true if I had the ability to whip out a server on the spot and craft a tournament by myself, but as it stands I'm more or less operating on the same resources as some of the community-run events, if that makes sense. Besides, even if I did have such resources, I wouldn't have been able to focus on it very much since all of my assigned tasks have been behind-the-scenes work, except for OMN.

My main focus for the time being now, however, is thankfully dedicated towards competitive events and tournaments. I'm doing what I can to make it happen soon.

Last edited:

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
I've wanted to see tournaments and competitive events for MCSG since its revival since may 2012.

Believe me, if there were a way for me to host tournaments whenever I wanted to we'd likely have weekly smaller tournaments with a bigger tournament every month or two. There simply isn't a feasible way for me to quickly host tournaments though...G33ke and I have wanted to get a tournament going since we joined, but alas, for a handful of reasons, simply haven't been able to. To put it briefly: I don't have the proper permissions/tools and resources to accomplish this. Besides, even if I did, I wouldn't be able to focus on it very much since all of my assigned tasks have been behind-the-scenes work, except for OMN.
I’ve always wondered why we have a CE team if we’re not going to let them do the job that they’re literally named to do. But maybe that’s just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci