• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The new (old) age MCSG

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score
So I've never done this before, nor do I ever plan on doing this again but I didn't know how else to get my thoughts out there to the community/Staff/whoever wants to listen. I'm going to go through some points I feel are making the playing experience exponentially worse.

Hit Registration

This has to be the worst one of them all. I'm not going to mince words, the hit registration is absolutely pitiful. I've never played on a server with worse hit registration and it's sickening. You can lose to someone with a 2% W/L if they just happen to win the coin flip that is a sword fight nowadays. There is little to no skill involved with the game now (at least on the MCSG server themselves) because of the simple fact that if your hits don't register and theirs do, there is nothing you can do about it. Now, I'll probably be counterpointed by someone saying "Well, it's only Beta, the server isn't released fully yet!!!", and while I agree with you that we should expect bugs in Beta, we shouldn't have to deal with bugs that literally make the game unplayable, that's too much. You shouldn't be accepting money from a community if you're not offering at least a serviceable product. It's just so aggravating seeing a server that has so much potential, squander it on something so seemingly trivial like hit registration. Either way, please fix it, it's laughable how bad it is.

^lol

Mapping

When the server released, we were told that they were going to try not to over-saturate the map pool and try to avoid having 30 maps to play at once... well here we are 3 months in and we have over 15 maps, I would say a good 10 of which are not played on a regular basis. There needs to be more transparency with this kind of stuff, we need more community engagement (hint) with the mapping side of things because I'm sure there are plenty of tips you guys (the staff) can take from them as they're the ones that actually play the game. In my opinion, every 2-4 weeks, there should be a poll or a survey taken of the community that asks what maps they want to see more of and what maps they want to see less of, that way you keep everything fresh and if someone misses a map, they can vote for it the next time the poll comes around to ensure they at least have a voice in the map selection process. Fluid maps are needed to make sure the game doesn't feel so repetitive, at least on the casual/non-CB side of the community because the maps literally serve as your UI as a server and even the biggest and most successful games out there change their UI up every once and a while to keep it fresh. My other point with mapping, and probably the thing that frustrates me the most is the tiering. Why is tiering so private? Why do people that never play the game have ultimate authority on how chests are tiered and how viable maps are? You have no idea how aggravating it is to go a route on a map that you've been going for years to see either 1. Some chests just not being there. 2. Chests that were Tier 2 now switched to Tier 1. Or 3. Items that were on the map previously being taken out because they were somehow classified as "OP" (even though that should be determined before the map gets rolled out, not after). It's just so annoying to have to go around and guess where Tier 2's are because the process is so shrouded and secretive. In my opinion, there should be a community event made out of it, this would do 3 things, 1. Give people an opportunity to formulate routes without having to just go run around with nothing and find Tier 2's/Tier 1's on their own, wasting their time. And 2. It would give the staff team much needed help in making a map that is competitively viable from a tiering perspective because too often maps are full of Tier 1's for literally no reason other than pure laziness from the mapping team to not retier it (AVARICIA AND SG3). And 3. It would show that the staff team is willing to take input from the community on things that honestly, they have no idea about (in terms of the competitive aspect of the game).

Community Engagement

This needs to hurry up, there has literally been nothing done in terms of community engagement thus far and we're about 3 months in. It doesn't take a Fortnite-size million dollar tournament to let us know the staff team actually cares, just host something other than Open Mic Night, last time they tried that, 2 people showed up. Two. You'd think maybe they'd shelve that for a bit until the community gets bigger and maybe let an artsy sub-community form like there was in the old days that make events like these viable in the first place but no, we're going to have had 2 OMN's before one in-game event. I know nobody seems to want to admit this, but I'd say a good 70% of the community right now is competitive. It's made up of the people that didn't quit MC for the 3 years MCSG went down and who take the game seriously and competitively. Stuff like OMN does nothing to attract these players. Hell, it doesn't even take any money, people just like to compete, if you just host a bi-weekly (or something like that) tournament that's streamed by Chad or something for a few hours on a weekend that'd be enough to at least appease people and give them the inclination that you're at least trying. Let's just start small and have some solo/doubles/clan events that are actually hosted by MCSG so people don't have to go out of their way and host things for themselves on servers run off other people's computers. Then again (and I just thought of this) nothing can be hosted on MCSG (or at least with MCSG's anti-cheat) until it is at least serviceable because if there is anything a community like that hates, it's when the Anti-Cheat just doesn't work. But my point still stands, instead of just recycling things we did 4 years ago, let's try something new and try to cater to the majority of the community instead of doing the same stuff over and over again.

I have so much more to say, but I got bored and sick of typing either way, there's that. Oh and if I forgot anything or if you disagree with anything I said above, please let me know. Thanks.

le quack

Platinum
Reaction score
This is better than Martin Luther King's "I have a dream".

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues among our community is a lack of communication between staff/devs and active players. Both sides are spiteful towards each other because they don't meet each other's needs.
This is the same major issue this network had in 2016 and prior. I'm sure some staff members are incredibly frustrated by the comments some of us leave, and rightfully so, but there's a reason behind all the bitterness that's been brewing for years. I really wish everyone could see eye to eye without the toxicity. It would be nice to have some civil discourse where everyone can admit their faults and all this drama can be squashed for good.

Personally, I find it strange that a good portion of the staff team has little to no experience with this server. It seems like some of them enjoy the power more than anything. I'm not trying to cast blame on anyone in particular, but there's certainly some higher-ups with bad attitudes and intentions. "Abuse of power" feels too harsh and alienating, I'm sure there's other terms we could use to describe what's been going on but alas I am very intoxicated
I feel like Chad should be more personally involved with the community. I know that's a lot to ask as he's a busy person with a life outside of Miner Boy Block Game but pls

The modified NoCheatPlus is a hinderence to the server and each update makes the game even more frustrating to play. My advice is to simply remove the anticheat. That, or set it to some checks-only mode so innocent players don't have to deal with the bugginess. Server instability is at an all-time high. Crashed lobbies, constant lagspikes, anticheat issues, hit registration issues, boats not working, etc.

I love you all and I don't want any hard feelings between anyone I'd just love to get these issues resolved so we can all get back to mining and crafting in peace

Last edited:

Zerwen

Quantum
Reaction score
@ devs please remove nocheatplus or at least use its default settings!!!
I'd rather have blatant cheaters than get stuck in half slabs every game u feel
the anticheat doesn't even ban people it just kicks them even if they are blatantly cheating what gives
Tbh anticheat usually kicks fair players instead of blatant hackers

Wiffy

Tribute
Reaction score
Are you guys potatoes or vegetables!?!! Obviously should delete the anti cheat and let the hackers run free

Jasmine

Platinum
Reaction score
the staff that are in denial of the these issues and who are rude / condescending towards players who take the time share their concerns will be the downfall of the server.

exhibit A: A Mod being extremely disrespectful to Edog because he was asking legitimate questions to another mod about whether or not they believed someone was hacking ("listen to the poor guy")

exhibit B: Another Mod answering Lebron12's thread concerning issues with OCE toxicity with a simple message in order to boost their message count, all while condescendingly dismissing lebron's concerns (note: The mod in question did apologize, but it's a perfect example of how some mods would rather increase their activity on the forums or discord instead of actually listening to players and making the server better).

i'm sure i could find many more examples on the discord, but i don't feel like sifting through cringy minimod messages since playing the actual server doesn't seem to matter as much these days in order to become mod.

ANYWAYS! when the staff want to be moderators to get the red name and not for the overall goal of making the server experience enjoyable for players overall, there's a problem. 4non made a great point by saying that there is a spiteful divide between the staff and the players and i think it's mostly due to the players not feeling heard by the people who run the server.

on that note, i hope that ChadTheDJ is taking note of this, considering that i have seen him be pretty responsive on twitter. even though the staff team seems to be weirdly hateful towards edog, he cares a lot about the server and was a great mod. his feedback is valuable.

EDIT: removed sensitive information about the people in question about resolved situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci