• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qualia

Diamond
Reaction score
It's not detectable when you're being spectated so.................................................gamma away

Brandon6895

Platinum
Reaction score
Some people monitors are brighter than others... I already made a thread about this and it turned into a long debate so I'm not willing to debate much more xD I highly doubt that increased gamma will no longer be a bannable offense.

Old_Spice_

Platinum
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to throw my opinion on this to settle questions and stuff.

The reason MCSG does not allow increased gamma is because it gives an unfair advantage. All mods that give an unfair advantage are not allowed on here, and for good reason. This isn't even technically a mod -- Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds. However, it does give an unfair advantage. If a player were to increase their gamma higher than what vanilla Minecraft provides, it allows them to see several aspects of the maps that are not meant to be seen. You can see hidden buttons, signs, traps, chests, and other items that normal players could not see. Is that fair to other players? Of course not. This is why it's not allowed on here. The ONLY way we would allow this is if Mojang decides to increase the max. gamma in a future update, and that will be it. Otherwise, it won't be allowed.

I personally agree with the rules with the fact that it's not allowed to increase gamma. It's just not fair to us players who don't. Think about it. If you are about to kill somebody with really good stuff and you start to chase them, and they get away by walking on water, is that fair to you? Of course not! You want his stuff, you want to win! Same thing goes with gamma. This allows the hacker to see hidden players, chests, traps, and stuff that you can't see, and that just isn't fair, it isn't honest, and it's not cool.

So just don't increase your gamma, or you're gonna have a bad time. ;)

Thanks for reading.

-Spice

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score

The reason MCSG does not allow increased gamma is because it gives an unfair advantage. All mods that give an unfair advantage are not allowed on here, and for good reason. This isn't even technically a mod -- Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds. However, it does give an unfair advantage. If a player were to increase their gamma higher than what vanilla Minecraft provides, it allows them to see several aspects of the maps that are not meant to be seen. You can see hidden buttons, signs, traps, chests, and other items that normal players could not see. Is that fair to other players? Of course not. This is why it's not allowed on here. The ONLY way we would allow this is if Mojang decides to increase the max. gamma in a future update, and that will be it. Otherwise, it won't be allowed.

I personally agree with the rules with the fact that it's not allowed to increase gamma. It's just not fair to us players who don't. Think about it. If you are about to kill somebody with really good stuff and you start to chase them, and they get away by walking on water, is that fair to you? Of course not! You want his stuff, you want to win! Same thing goes with gamma. This allows the hacker to see hidden players, chests, traps, and stuff that you can't see, and that just isn't fair, it isn't honest, and it's not cool.

Thanks for reading.

-Spice
I don't really find this response to the situation at hand all that valid, as the majority of your arguments seem to be based on hyperbole as opposed to actual fact. Yes, in some situations increasing gamma can improve your performance, but so does having a better computer, getting Optifine, or a wide variety of other options that MCSG renders perfectly legal.

So, in certain circumstances, increasing your gamma allows you to see things other players do not, and that is the basis for your argument of it granting an unfair advantage. But doesn't Optifine allow you to zoom in? Don't some people have gaming setups that allow them to click faster and PvP better? Don't some people have brighter monitors, that allow exactly the same benefit as increasing your gamma does? The answer to all of these questions is yes; these are all legal things that give you an advantage, and increasing gamma gives you no greater advantage than any of these, in fact it could easily be argued that it gives you less of an advantage.

To your point about how this, specifically, is unfair to other players who do not do this, you basically counter your own argument. You say that "Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds", making it a far simpler and more accessible process than installing Optifine. Optifine is often given a special dispensation due to the fact that it allows people with lower FPS to play more easily, but is gamma not exactly the same, just for people with dimmer monitors?

So I ask you, why should it be banned? If it's a part of vanilla Minecraft, that is available to anyone who watches a brief tutorial on Youtube, if it provides an advantage that pales to the things you tried to compare it to (Increasing gamma shouldn't even BE comparable to using water walking hacks or BSM), and if it is necessary for some people to play, why should it be banned, and receive a punishment as stringent as hacking, when it is no worse than Optifine?

I would cling less tightly to badly planned rules, and rather question whether or not they are actually beneficial to these servers before becoming their champion.

Reaction score
I don't really find this response to the situation at hand all that valid, as the majority of your arguments seem to be based on hyperbole as opposed to actual fact. Yes, in some situations increasing gamma can improve your performance, but so does having a better computer, getting Optifine, or a wide variety of other options that MCSG renders perfectly legal.

So, in certain circumstances, increasing your gamma allows you to see things other players do not, and that is the basis for your argument of it granting an unfair advantage. But doesn't Optifine allow you to zoom in? Don't some people have gaming setups that allow them to click faster and PvP better? Don't some people have brighter monitors, that allow exactly the same benefit as increasing your gamma does? The answer to all of these questions is yes; these are all legal things that give you an advantage, and increasing gamma gives you no greater advantage than any of these, in fact it could easily be argued that it gives you less of an advantage.

To your point about how this, specifically, is unfair to other players who do not do this, you basically counter your own argument. You say that "Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds", making it a far simpler and more accessible process than installing Optifine. Optifine is often given a special dispensation due to the fact that it allows people with lower FPS to play more easily, but is gamma not exactly the same, just for people with dimmer monitors?

So I ask you, why should it be banned? If it's a part of vanilla Minecraft, that is available to anyone who watches a brief tutorial on Youtube, if it provides an advantage that pales to the things you tried to compare it to (Increasing gamma shouldn't even BE comparable to using water walking hacks or BSM), and if it is necessary for some people to play, why should it be banned, and receive a punishment as stringent as hacking, when it is no worse than Optifine?

I would cling less tightly to badly planned rules, and rather question whether or not they are actually beneficial to these servers before becoming their champion.
ily so much

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score

Thanks for reading.

-Spice
Nothing personal old_spice, I see and understand your points, but I have to disagree :p. The reason that things like bsm, water walking, and aimbot are illegal is because it gives you an unfair advantage when it comes to pvp. Increasing your gamma doesn't give you an advantage when it comes to fighting. All increasing gamma does is allows you to see in dark areas, it helps you none whatsoever with pvp. It just makes dark maps like moonbase.. less annoying lol. If we are going by logic.. OPTIFINE gives you more of an advantage pvp wise than increasing gamma. Give you higher fps.. which usually makes a player do better.

However, it is still against the rules to increase your gamma and as long as that is the case, I won't do it. But I have to say that I agree it shouldn't be a bannable offense. It helps none with combat and gives no more or less of an advantage than raising your fps by downloading optifine and other things of that nature.

Reaction score

Thanks for reading.

-Spice
Just think about the points you made for a minute. I could take the word gamma and replace it with optifine, and whenever you said increased brightness, just replace it with zoom.

Being 100% honest, there is no reason that Gamma Brightness shouldn't be allowed, since it's practically the same thing as OptiFine (advantage-wise). When you said "Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds. However it does give an unfair advantage." I almost doubled over in confusion.. I thought to myself; 'what the heck..' How is it unfair if ANYONE can do it? That, I do not understand. 'Is it fair to other players?' Ummm, yeah... If anyone just took a peek in their .jar, the would see that option. Just saying, you didn't make very valid points to back up your argument.

-Smeargle (Torchy)

Old_Spice_

Platinum
Reaction score
Nothing personal old_spice, I see and understand your points, but I have to disagree :p. The reason that things like bsm, water walking, and aimbot are illegal is because it gives you an unfair advantage when it comes to pvp. Increasing your gamma doesn't give you an advantage when it comes to fighting. All increasing gamma does is allows you to see in dark areas, it helps you none whatsoever with pvp. It just makes dark maps like moonbase.. less annoying lol. If we are going by logic.. OPTIFINE gives you more of an advantage pvp wise than increasing gamma. Give you higher fps.. which usually makes a player do better.

However, it is still against the rules to increase your gamma and as long as that is the case, I won't do it. But I have to say that I agree it shouldn't be a bannable offense. It helps none with combat and gives no more or less of an advantage than raising your fps by downloading optifine and other things of that nature.
Just think about the points you made for a minute. I could take the word gamma and replace it with optifine, and whenever you said increased brightness, just replace it with zoom.

Being 100% honest, there is no reason that Gamma Brightness shouldn't be allowed, since it's practically the same thing as OptiFine (advantage-wise). When you said "Anybody can just pull up their minecraft.jar and adjust their screen brightness in 30 seconds. However it does give an unfair advantage." I almost doubled over in confusion.. I thought to myself; 'what the heck..' How is it unfair if ANYONE can do it? That, I do not understand. 'Is it fair to other players?' Ummm, yeah... If anyone just took a peek in their .jar, the would see that option. Just saying, you didn't make very valid points to back up your argument.

-Smeargle (Torchy)

Because I don't want to start a huge debate or flamewar, I am going to put my claims as simply as I can for you three.

I agree on how it does not give you an advantage when it comes to PVP, but what about maps? As I said in my post, increasing gamma can be used to avoid traps, discover hidden chests, and gives an unfair advantage, especially at night. This is what I've been trying to explain, but I guess I haven't given a good example, so I'll give a short but understandable example of how this is unfair:

Player A and Player B join a match and team up. Player A has an increased gamma while Player B is playing a vanilla game. As the game starts and they gather on food, armor, and weapons, they come upon a temple, full of traps and good chests. The two decide to split up. Player A enters a dark room. Because with his increased gamma, he is able to gather secret chests and was able to avoid traps that would send him to the pits of Hell, boiling in lava and fire. Refill comes, and they decide to go back to the very same room. This time, Player B decides to get the loot and goes inside the room. He is having trouble finding chests as all of them are hidden, but doesn't come out as he falls into a pit of lava thanks to a trap he can't see in the very dark room.

This is a perfect example of an unfair advantage. The traps and chests were designed to stop the tributes from getting the loot, and with the unfair advantage playing a good role in this situation, it allows for the first person to get better supplies that would help him win. This is why increasing gamma is not allowed on MCSG.

You guys also talked about OptiFine and how it is similar in a way that it can give an unfair advantage. I know what you mean; I have seen several people claim that the mod should not be allowed. The reason it is allowed is because it does give an advantage to the ones who need it. For some people it is impossible to play Minecraft without OptiFine as they get very low frames, lots of lag, and slow responses. And yes, it is true that you can zoom by holding the Control key. This was a feature built in the mod. Because of this, we use it because it's there. Whether it provides an unfair advantage or not, it's there. Now, increasing gamma is different. It's not like you can just press a key to toggle it, like you can with the zoom. It's there, and it's staying there until you adjust the slider.

The reason I spent 35 minutes typing this up is because I want to show my side, not create a flamewar-argument. Feel free to agree or disagree with my points, but I am sticking with the side I'm on. If you don't follow what I mean, I'll just go ahead and type up another essay about my viewpoints, whether they are right or not.

Either way, increasing gamma is not allowed on MCSG, and what I have typed is the reason why and why I agree. It's the administrators choice whether they want to allow it or not, all we are doing is talking about the topic. It could be allowed, it could not. It all depends on what they think. Because of several interesting and good points made not only by you three, but by several people in this conversation, I feel that they will become involved and share their viewpoints. But for now, it's just going to be the community talking about it. I did not want to get involved, but I decided to so I could clear up some points, before I get counteracted by you three. I'm not offended, but I don't want to be involved in this. I may make a few more points about it, but for the most part, this is going to be my last post on this thread.

-Have a nice day/night

-Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci