• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huahwi

Diamond
Reaction score
There is a Gamma increase/decrease option in many other games that I've played. Minecraft doesn't have a public gamma option yet unless you dig deep into the options file in your .minecraft folder(which isn't actually very deep nor complicated to do). I'm pretty sure there will be a gamma option for minecraft in the future.

I believe that having increased gamma shouldn't be bannable because many monitors and graphic cards have the option to adjust the screen Brightness & Gamma. Gamma makes things easier to see when it's dark. It is also used for aesthetic purposes and to balance your screen brightness when you have a poor-quality monitor. It's not like having increased gamma gives you the ability to see through walls or anything like that. It doesn't "buff" up your character in any way like what Better Sprint, Forcefield, Aimbot, No-Knockback, Fly Hacks, Regen Hacks and Speed Hacks provide. It just makes things easier to see in the dark. IMO this isn't a good reason for banning people with increased gamma.

Gamma can improve your gameplay by seeing things better & clearer. Just like having an anti-ghosting mechanical keyboard, a mice with a million programmable buttons on it, and even having a 120hz+ refresh rate monitor can also improve your gameplay. Gamma will improve your gameplay by a fair amount, but it does not "Boost your character's abilities" in any way whatsoever. You definitely still need skill to win.

So why is it that increasing your gamma bannable on MCSG? Well... I haven't talked to any of the Sr. Staffs about this, so I don't know exactly why. But. I will hypothesize. Since there is no "Public" option for adjusting gamma in-game, not everyone knows about this option nor has access to this option publicly(technically they do since it's like right there in your .minecraft folder), it is unfair for one person to have a gamma advantage over another who doesn't have access to this option.

If "seeing better when it's dark" the main reason why MCSG made increased-gamma a bannable offense, then I don't know what else to say than that is very see-tu-pid.

*This is just my thoughts and opinion about this gamma-controversy and it was no way intended to ridicule whoever made this a bannable offense nor am I trying to publicly exploit this option. Thank you for taking your time into reading this and hopefully a Sr. Staff will reply to this thread and clear things up*

-Huahwi

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
It's bannable for the same reason many other mods or improvements are bannable. It provides too much of an advantage to one person. There are some areas on maps, and some maps entirely that are supposed to be dark, so dark you can barely see anything. It would be unfair if you could see all the tripwires or pressure plates and the sort.

E. This is only my understanding of the whole issue.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
I have to agree and disagree with Huwahi. On the one hand (this is a bit of a stretch), many noobs don't know how to install mods and they lag. Therefore, since other players with Optifine get an advantage, should it be bannable?
On the other hand, this is a little more obscure than Optifine or mods in general, and could provide a large advantage in finding chests. Personally with 100 brightness I can see pretty much anything, but for others it might be different.
All in all, though I don't always agree with the staff decisions, I respect them and believe this is probably the best way to ensure fairness.

Redjosepie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It can give players advantages E.G: Treacherous Heights tunnels, so It in my opinion should be bannable.

Virtual

District 13
Reaction score
You're walking down a dark hallway... and you walk onto some tripwires, and fall into a lava trap.But if you had your gamma up, you could see those wires.

It provides an unfair advantage to players who use it because they can see something someone else can't see.

Even if it isn't that much of an offense, it's still against the rules and players caught using it will be punished.

KorStonesword

Diamond
Reaction score
You're walking down a dark hallway... and you walk onto some tripwires, and fall into a lava trap
If you had your brightness up you could've seen those tripwires pretty clearly (no gamma, just brightness 100.)
Also, off topic but are texture packs that give slight advantages not allowed, because I have a texture pack I love but it makes trapped chests bright red so they are really obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci