• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
I think there are some situations where Gamma can be reasonable. Some people, like @duckluv321 have naturally darker screens. A long time ago, we were playing on SG2 and exploring the towers (yes, with arena master :p) I could see perfectly fine, with my brightness up to 100% but then duck could barely move around because she had no idea where she was going, and her brightness was also maxed.
I think that though Gamma can give you a large advantage, you should be able to request permission to change it with a video as proof that your screen isn't as bright as most other people.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If you're not blind having gamma up or down is no different, just asthetically pleasing.

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
Personally, I think it should be allowed. And yes I'm going to compare it to block-hitting (sorry, but I am). Block-hitting is seen as a cheaper/unfair method of Minecraft PvP, but it's still part of the game. Gamma works is too--it's programmed into the game.

Yet, the real reason we don't allow gamma increases on the servers is not because it helps you see better in the dark, what it really does is make people's name-tags clearer and easier to spot.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Personally, I think it should be allowed. And yes I'm going to compare it to block-hitting (sorry, but I am). Block-hitting is seen as a cheaper/unfair method of Minecraft PvP, but it's still part of the game. Gamma works is too--it's programmed into the game.

Yet, the real reason we don't allow gamma increases on the servers is not because it helps you see better in the dark, what it really does is make people's name-tags clearer and easier to spot.
Well, just like optifine, its accessible to a large part of the community therefore its allowed. Technically speaking optifine boots your visibility because you can zoom in on things to find name tags. If gamma makes nametags brighter, it DOES give an advantage but optifine does too.

Theoretical

District 13
Reaction score
Well, just like optifine, its accessible to a large part of the community therefore its allowed. Technically speaking optifine boots your visibility because you can zoom in on things to find name tags. If gamma makes nametags brighter, it DOES give an advantage but optifine does too.
It's still not allowed though... yet.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Like Huahwi its build in MC, not that deep in the code. So technically its in MC, just buried.
But it's not built into the user interface automatically, which is the whole idea. Optifine is an unfair argument because that not only lets you zoom, which I agree can be unfair, but thousands of people legitimately can't play without optifine because of the amazing performance increase that optifine provides.

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
But still less of an advantage than BSM or increasing gamma.
Not at all. An FPS increase is quite a bit more than a gamma increase. Looking through this thread, there have been a couple scenarios suggested in which gamma would be helpful. Optifine is helpful regardless of the map and regardless of the place on the map.

How is having gamma going to help you if you only get 2 fps?

Gamma provides a visibility increase, optifine provides a visibility and fps increase. Why is one legal and the other one not?

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Gamma increasing should be allowed. Even though it isn't, you have to be extremely stupid to be caught using it. If our very own @darkai202 can use this:

then why can't we increase our gamma?
#Basicallythesamething

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Gamma increasing should be allowed. Even though it isn't, you have to be extremely stupid to be caught using it. If our very own @darkai202 can use this:

then why can't we increase our gamma?
#Basicallythesamething
I haven't increased gamma though, it's a texture pack with bright colours.

As to proof I don't hack: http://i.imgur.com/BlLw4Tp.png

Anyway, it's really like shaders. Aesthetically is changes the game, shaders can help you see nametags yet they are not illegal.

EDIT: Talked to a SR mod, it's allowed.

Last edited:

Claps

Diamond
Reaction score
I play on moody and I see things very clearly. No problems with brightness... everyones computer is different for this and so gamma would really just help those with darker computers out. As I said though, i see great on moody and so i couldnt care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci