• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Statistics of Survival Games (Involves Teaming, Trashtalking, etc.)

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
FireworkMaster9 , BitoBain , I am very impressed by the amount of work and effort that went into this. I love statistics, and it's good to have them on such topics. This reminds me of the Hacker Census myself and the staff worked towards a few months ago.

My only concern is your sample size. 30 games may seem like a lot, but there are 30 games finishing every 2.5 minutes on this network. It's better to have a larger sample size, at least 750 games for a decent sample.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd be willing to help out in this project, staff included. We should talk, and maybe we can arrange something.

Fireworks

Platinum
Reaction score
FireworkMaster9 , BitoBain , I am very impressed by the amount of work and effort that went into this. I love statistics, and it's good to have them on such topics. This reminds me of the Hacker Census myself and the staff worked towards a few months ago.

My only concern is your sample size. 30 games may seem like a lot, but there are 30 games finishing every 2.5 minutes on this network. It's better to have a larger sample size, at least 750 games for a decent sample.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd be willing to help out in this project, staff included. We should talk, and maybe we can arrange something.
I'll contact you as soon as I get home from this football game. It would be a pleasure to work something out to increase our sample size.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score

Just a random thought that I had when reading the last two sentences of your post:
If you have help from volunteers outside of the staff team, there could be an issue with quality of work and record-keeping. There should probably be some sort of selection system where you have volunteers that you know will do a good job and won't fake statistics. I can think of quite a few people that I used to know who might want to increase the results in order to send a point across, such as giving a false impression of how many teams & trash-talkers there are.

^^its late and I'm not thinking very clearly ;-;

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. Before I conclude anything, such as the fact that teams win approximately 1/4 of all games, I want to get samples from all four regions, weekends as well as weekdays, nighttime as well as daytime, including at least a couple hundred games.
Just a random thought that I had when reading the last two sentences of your post:
If you have help from volunteers outside of the staff team, there could be an issue with quality of work and record-keeping. There should probably be some sort of selection system where you have volunteers that you know will do a good job and won't fake statistics. I can think of quite a few people that I used to know who might want to increase the results in order to send a point across, such as giving a false impression of how many teams & trash-talkers there are.

Having gathered some data myself, I agree completely. You have to record the server #, time in CST, map, and # of live players when the game starts. These pieces of data involve no interpretation. However, when it comes to hunting down teams from the start, it becomes difficult to tell what is a team. In some of the more popular maps, half of the players are dead in the first two minutes. During that time, half of the players who could have been teaming are now dead. You may have to say there are only two teams, when you missed a player take out a team thirty seconds into the game, meaning there were actually three teams. The beginning of the game is also difficult because people may be passively running side by side, running to a common route, and take various parts of the route without fighting each other, while still not being teamed. The same goes for hackers, who can die early on and go undetected. In the six games I put on record today, I only identified one hacker, which seems a bit low considering how much people complain about hackers.

So yeah, if more people want to join in on this, we need to make sure they won't be biased.

Last edited:

Fireworks

Platinum
Reaction score

I can understand your concerns about that very clearly, which is why I'm somewhat wearry of letting people help. As for those helping right now, they have been completely honest to me from what I have seen so far, and I have seen them around and they seem to be good people.

But, that doesn't mean that people will try to "help" just to skew the data to prove a point. We'll figure out some sort of selection system like you mentioned to filter these players. The last thing I would want is for false data.

Freshly

District 13
Reaction score
Probably the only statistics i've ever paid attention to, definitely interesting and wouldn't mind helping out :)

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Thats because if they talk trash to you they will get muted xD
True, in most cases depending on how severe the trash-talking is. Some people on the other hand are just straight up rude to mods ;-;

E

Ephiza

True, in most cases depending on how severe the trash-talking is. Some people on the other hand are just straight up rude to mods ;-;
wait..I thought dave said it was never going to be punishable to say eZ rekt gg10 nub l2p randy scrandy 3ez5u 2pro4u etc etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci