• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do you believe in god?

Do you?

• yes

Votes: 113 55.7%
  • no

Votes: 98 48.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender_Harold

Career
Reaction score
Glad to hear it :)

Me being a bit sciency I still never find it to be a good idea to be fixed, in science new ideas, data and proof are coming in all the time and it can be hard if it challenges what you think (if you are so fixed on an idea) to start to accept the new ideas which provide better explanations. :)
Do you belong to the Church of Scientology? o_O

Qualia

Diamond
Reaction score
The scientific community is so mixed over religion, there is no specific groups which believe one thing or the other for example in eveloutionary science Charles Darwin, the founder, believed that there was always a place for god and he was deeply religious where as Richard Dawkins (who is an amazing biologist) is actively working against religion

Please don't post things like this it's offencive and not needed. I am an atheist but at least I am good natured enough to respect other people beliefs.
Just btw, I said that so that someone would reply telling me to refrain from doing so and from there, others would understand what is and isn't acceptable :3

Reaction score
Do you belong to the Church of Scientology? o_O
Never they are horrible people (btw they have nothing to do with science they believe aliens brought life to earth or something like that) they trap people in and prevent them from leaving thier 'religion' with threats and blackmail. The whole religion is run as a buisness so that the founder can get rich.

Just btw, I said that so that someone would reply telling me to refrain from doing so and from there, others would understand what is and isn't acceptable :3
Thats not the best way of getting the message across really :O

dq

District 13
Reaction score
Here is a very logical explanation on how the Big Bang could not have created the universe:
"Big Bang" meaning explosion. Do you know any explosion that created something wonderful, something so exact? Well I haven't. The Earth is the the right size, the right distance from the sun, orbits around the sun perfectly, has a moon orbiting our earth perfectly, all of this could not happen "by chance" or through an explosion.
If the earth was 5%, just 5%, out of order, the earths climate would be so different, we could not live here. The fact that everything is so exact just proves that it couldn't have happened through a big bang.
Well, if you were to argue that statement one could say:

Yes, an explosion couldnt have been THAT exact. no way. But if God were the cause of that explosion, God would easily be able to control the outcome.

Ender_Harold

Career
Reaction score
Well, if you were to argue that statement one could say:

Yes, an explosion couldnt have been THAT exact. no way. But if God were the cause of that explosion, God would easily be able to control the outcome.
Some people can't grasp the understanding that God can do whatever he wants, however he wants, whenever he wants. ._.

Ultraviolence

Experienced
Reaction score
tbh i always felt like people believed in god not because they wanted to, because they had to. many people in my school get mad at me that im atheist. but think about it, if your parents never where tight on religion to you, would you believe? i think its just something people choose to believe to substitute disaster. ex: omg he has cancer he might die, "god will save him, jesus will save him." your making yourself want to believe that this is true, when really you know that he will die of cancer, its sad but true. my mom really raised me to believe in god, but i never did. there was one point that i was forcing myself to believe so she wouldn't be mad. i finally just told her i didnt believe and she was upset at first but got over herself.
i have nothing against people who believe in god. i just find it to be a bunch of BS.

Boboaluitz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Wowza, not a single flame war. I'm just going to put my second two cents here (I like being an observer to things):

Also, about the Big Bang, it isn't the exact known way that the Earth was created, it's just a theory, as many things in science should be. I regard most religions as another theory, a possible way things could've happened.

Again about the Big Bang and MiCr's argument about the (im)possibility of a beautiful world born from an explosion's destruction. Not just destruction can be made from explosions. It's how they make artificial diamonds, as in not from the Earth. Also, The Earth started out as a giant molten ball of death (apparently)... which hardened and thickened. Water came from a mysterious source, though, which stems several theories.

The Earth is a 'Goldilocks Planet' meaning everything was juuuuust right to have life. Scientists have discovered some almost-Goldilocks Planets, and that is just within our observable reach. @Theoretical -y, the universe is expanding infinitely in all directions (might also be in different 'time bubbles *mind explosion*). If everything is infinite, you're bound to have another, at least, Goldilocks Planet sometimes, right? Even a blind nut finds a squirrel every now and then.

I love this thread.

Intensebrawler

Experienced
Reaction score
Also, about the Big Bang, it isn't the exact known way that the Earth was created, it's just a theory, as many things in science should be. I regard most religions as another theory, a possible way things could've happened.
True, but did you know that in many cases they are one in the same?
The Quraan of Islam talks about the the universe expanding; and scientists found this out in the early 1900s. It also says that the universe came from smoke, which is related to the description of the big bang. In fact, your thoughts of a "Goldilocks Planet" closely relate to the following quote Quraan:

“Is not He who created the heavens and the earth Able to create the likes of them?” (Quran 36:81-82)

Perhaps religion and science aren't so different after all. :)

I also love this thread

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
I won't put in my comment here, simply because I don't like sharing my religious beliefs (or disbeliefs) with people who aren't close friends of mine, but I do have one thing to say.
Wow. I'm surprised this thread is as civil as it is...

Yomega

Career
Reaction score
I am strictly atheist. I have no reason to believe there is an all powerful being in the sky and no musty old book is going to tell me otherwise. Not flaming, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci