• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Bows seems underpowered... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGjustin

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Someone who is unlucky and spawns on the opposite end?
It's like losing to an stone/iron sword when you have diamond. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. Doesn't mean they're bad.
No, it's nothing like sword vs sword. You can easily strafe left/right or sprint and curve to the dude. Fishing rod doesn't even hurt you if you have armor. You can run across the Corn in 3 seconds, 5 if you strafe. You're just plain bad if you die from a guy standing still charging a bow.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
Thats why you lead your shots. It isn't hard to predict where they're going to jump to if they decide to strafe, not that you can really strafe too far side to side when you're sprinting.

Also, fishing rods are used for a spammable knockback, not for damage. Have you tried chasing someone that has good aim with a fishing rod?

You can't really refute it if you've never tried it honestly. It's not the easiest thing to do either.
But who are you to say who is bad and who isn't?

ZomBry

Survivor
Reaction score
I killed people with a fishing rod by knocking them into lava. :3 even bows can easily do the same thing if they don't have a ranged weapon. Basically anything that can knock them back, even snowballs or eggs can kill if you knock them into lava. Most people when confronted with a bow from far range take cover, while people with a fishing rod usually doesn't look too threatening.

OMGjustin

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Thats why you lead your shots. It isn't hard to predict where they're going to jump to if they decide to strafe, not that you can really strafe too far side to side when you're sprinting.
That's why you juke your movements. You've obviously never tried kiting anyone remotely good.

Also, fishing rods are used for a spammable knockback, not for damage. Have you tried chasing someone that has good aim with a fishing rod?
Nobody good would spam a fishing rod, that's kind of irrelevant and kind of a useless argument.

You can't really refute it if you've never tried it honestly. It's not the easiest thing to do either.
But who are you to say who is bad and who isn't?
Ok, put us both in a deathmatch together, one with a bow and one with a sword - the sword would destroy the bow every time. and who am I? I'm a really good player that has more experience in studies and battles than you, sir.

Think about it, the only way a Bow+Arrow would match the damage of a sword is through its charged shot - but by the time you have fully charged your shot, the sword would be on your ass, hitting you twice, three times, four times and killing you. And if a good sword player was on your ass, theres no way you'd lose him to kite him around.

If you try running backwards spamming a fishing rod at a good player - not only would you be doing NO damage, but you're just knocking him back a foot and he'd sprint up the same foot; resulting in you accomplishing nothing besides delaying your inevitable death.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
Ok, put us both in a deathmatch together, one with a bow and one with a sword - the sword would destroy the bow every time. and who am I? I'm a really good player that has more experience in studies and battles than you, sir.
It's funny you should mention that, especially when I have more games played and won than you do.

And it wouldn't "destroy the bow every time," it would "destroy the bow most of the time".
I never said that bows are superior to swords, I just said that it's possible to win with nothing but a bow if that's all you managed to get.
And now that I've said that, you're probably going to say "no good player would have just a bow by deathmatch"
Sorry, but although hitting 30 chests will USUALLY get you at least a stone sword, I have had one or two games where I've gotten nothing but food, leather, stone axe, and a ton of flint, sticks, and feathers. When you pit THAT against someone with gold/chain and iron/diamond it's kind of pointless to run in with your axe and hope that he has bad aim.

I'm bring it up because I HAVE done it before.
You on the other hand are just theorycrafting and making assumptions.

Why are you even being so negative about my "oh I've won a few games with a bow!" anyway?

OMGjustin

Peacekeeper
Reaction score

Congrats, you played a dozen more rounds than me in this server while I was outside, you probably just started playing though so you don't know much about this game at all.

I have won numerous times with just using a Bow, but having said that, it was against bad players.
The times I'd pull out my bow, and even if I lead the opposing player and hit him a few times, he has good movement and jukes my arrows. Turns out he's a GOOD player, so I run away, pull out my sword, then run back at him and kill him.

You can't win with Bow N Arrow against a semi competent player as of now. I don't know why you're so against it, but they really should buff the Bow N Arrow so people would use it more often.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
Congrats, you played a dozen more rounds than me in this server while I was outside, you probably just started playing though so you don't know much about this game at all.
Really? More assumptions and flaming?

And why is it that the PLAYERS are good because they dodge your shots? Maybe it's just the archer is bad if he can't hit his shots.
I've played more Counterstrike than Minecraft - it's all about predicting where they're going to juke and leading your shots.

Oh, and just because YOU are better than them doesn't mean that they're bad players.

I'm against buffing it because I can kill people with it just fine.
And you still haven't answered as to why you're so intent on shutting down my opinions.

OMGjustin

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Really? More assumptions and flaming?

And why is it that the PLAYERS are good because they dodge your shots? Maybe it's just the archer is bad if he can't hit his shots.
I've played more Counterstrike than Minecraft - it's all about predicting where they're going to juke and leading your shots.

Oh, and just because YOU are better than them doesn't mean that they're bad players.

I'm against buffing it because I can kill people with it just fine.
And you still haven't answered as to why you're so intent on shutting down my opinions.
This can really go both ways. Maybe it's not because the archer is bad but the players can juke and move insanely fast between cover. Counterstrike is VERY different. VERY VERY different. That is instant bullet hit vs instant bullet hit. Minecraft is delayed arrow hit vs combat sword. Pretty bad example.

Just because you managed to kill a few bad players with a fishing rod and bow, doesn't mean the Bow is fine the way it is. The majority of players are good, and the bow is incredibly weak against them. Buff the Bow.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
This can really go both ways. Maybe it's not because the archer is bad but the players can juke and move insanely fast between cover. Counterstrike is VERY different. VERY VERY different. That is instant bullet hit vs instant bullet hit. Minecraft is delayed arrow hit vs combat sword. Pretty bad example.

Just because you managed to kill a few bad players with a fishing rod and bow, doesn't mean the Bow is fine the way it is. The majority of players are good, and the bow is incredibly weak against them. Buff the Bow.
The bow is fine as it is because it isn't meant to go 1-on-1 with a sword.
If you balance a bow to be equal with a sword damage-wise then it becomes overpowered because on top of the damage you have MASSIVE range AND knockback.

I only pointed out my bow wins because if you get good enough and lucky enough you CAN win with just a bow.

How to really use a bow? Try and hit them from a distance for free damage, then switch to your sword when they get close enough.

Bows are VERY common, as are arrows and their crafting ingredients.
Why would you buff the damage of such a common item?

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Ok now could you stop arguing? You both made some lovely points, but I think we should let other people in now :p. The bows and arrows are quite common, and now I think I agree that bows don't need an upgrade. But I do think that sometimes when you find a bow in the cornucopia, there is a chance that it might have a lvl I enchantment like Power or something. Only in the corncucopia, and not on all the bows there. Or maybe the same thing, but with arrows. As long as it can't be Infinity I because that would suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci