• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A Step By Step Guide: Building a Survival Games Map

Does this help you out?

• Total voters

static_nightmare

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Amazing guide, just read it, and it's plain beautiful. To be honest, I didnt read all of it, but there should if there isnt, be taking in account some PVP features. such as straight roads (like the rail thing beside the train on SG4.) Where you can get teams to part easily for people to stop following you. This is a very important deal for maps, Which is why I like Breeze, SG4 and Fortress Pyke, because I've found nice tactics to win easier. :3
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in the 2nd step (third post), but you're certainly right, you must take PVP into account, and make it so they fit into the 'Survival Games' PvP style

NorthStar

Career
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in the 2nd step (third post), but you're certainly right, you must take PVP into account, and make it so they fit into the 'Survival Games' PvP style
Do you think the concept of an SG map comprising of mostly battling on the rooftops of buildings would work well for PvP? It would both mean that the people fighting need to consider the size of the area they are fighting on, as well as know shortcuts to escape a team.

static_nightmare

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Do you think the concept of an SG map comprising of mostly battling on the rooftops of buildings would work well for PvP? It would both mean that the people fighting need to consider the size of the area they are fighting on, as well as know shortcuts to escape a team.
That sounds like a really cool idea! Maybe tonnes of parkour around? Make sure the roofs are varied.

Walrus_4lyf

Experienced
Reaction score
Stage 3: Making it a Survival Games Map

For chest placement, it may be useful to use a Nodus Client so that you can see whereabouts you have hidden any chests. Do not use this client on MCSG servers, or you will be hated by many and you will be banned permanently. Hide many of the chests well, and hook as many as you can up to traps that can be set off, killing the player rather than trapping them. Some chests should be easier and more obvious to find than others. Make sure that there are chests that require more skill to get to that can be Tier 2 chests on the servers. Such skills required to get chests can be parkour, or revealed after cracking a redstone contraption. There should be some double chests around the map as well, to attract players to. I personally think you should put more chests in certain areas so that they become hotspots for players, although some people may disagree. For building parkour, make sure it is not too difficult, but does require some concentration and skill to complete. Reduce things based on luck by as much as you possibly can. Overall, make sure that there are chests in every part of the map. Also at this stage, build the glass dome using WorldEdit. Experiment with different dome radius' so that none of your structures are cut off by the barrier. Steps for this stage, quite simply, are:

1. Build the dome first on this stage, so that you are not placing chests out of reach, unless your intention is to troll people
  2. Place the chests, crafting tables, and furnaces well and accordingly, spreading them out around the map, arranging hotspots in some interesting locations. It is not necessary to fill them for MCSG, but do so if you want people to play it without plugins.
  3. Finally, you will need to be scanning the map and making any absolute final touch-ups that you need to do.
  4. Post the map download on a thread in the 'Finished Maps' forum. Include several appealing pictures and a video, if you can. Make sure to give credit to everyone who helped out. Give the map a nice name that people will like and remember, and include a detailed description of it in the thread.

Things to Have:
  • A suitable, well-addressed theme
  • Appealing terrain
  • Detailed Structures
  • Redstone contraptions
  • A well-designed Cornucopia
  • Well-placed chests + Parkour
Things to Avoid:

• Lack of a theme
  • Boring and hard-to-play-on terrain, and large areas of water
  • Poorly made structures
  • Large quantities of lag-producing blocks
  • Unfair Cornucopia with long, boring deathmatches
  • Lack of chests, and poorly made or non-existent Parkour

Hopefully, this will help you out big-time for building Survival Games maps fit for these servers.

If there is anything you think I should add to this thread, let me know in the
I believe breeze island is a large amount of water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci