• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A little rant, in my point of view.

Do you agree with my opinion?

• I agree with your opinion and feel the same way about this community.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I disagree with your opinion and feel otherwise about this community.

Votes: 18 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejambd

Platinum
Reaction score
My question is, why are there mods with less than 20 forum posts?
Because some Moderators like to spread their moderation out and tend to concentrate on Teamspeak or In game rather than the forums. Although this may not be right at least they are compensating for it in other areas of the McGamer network.

Cern

Platinum
Reaction score
If a mod isn't doing their job, report them to Sr. Staff. It doesn't do anything to make a thread complaining, when you could've just reported them to the Sr. Staff in a PM. This way, they actually get dealt with, and the lazy mods receive the punishment.

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
If a mod isn't doing their job, report them to Sr. Staff. It doesn't do anything to make a thread complaining, when you could've just reported them to the Sr. Staff in a PM. This way, they actually get dealt with, and the lazy mods receive the punishment.
See right here? This is the problem, the mcsg community complains about the staff (which are in the wrong sometimes), but the community doesn't nothing to fix these problems when they can! You can: report lazy/abusing staff, record hackers (some people don't have computers that record and I understand that), you can screenshot rude players in the chat. Recently I've done something to help. I created a youtube channel called for the soul purpose of getting hackers and cheaters banned. All I'm saying is that it's not just some of the staff that's lazy, it's the members too.

Edit: if each player got one hacker banned, all the current playing hackers would be banned.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Yet another pointless thread with no evidence nor strategy to overcome the problem.
I'd just like to point out that he couldn't exactly give a screenshot or recording of the events he used as an example, and he had to use ___'s for any specifics.
And I rather think that the thread was prevented in a very civil manner compared to some others that I've seen, and was quite thoughtful. It is far from pointless - He was highlighting what he believed to be an issue with a portion of staff members.

(Finally, a debatable thread! :eek: It's been so long since I've seen one of these <3 Now I have to make like 2 pages.)

Grab a coffee, sit down, because this could be long and ranty. <3 my specialty
Keep in mind that in my mind, this was a speech. It was something that could be said out loud and would still flow. Try to read it as such, it may change the way you view this. Thank you.
Also, if this needs to be censored for some reason, please contact me via PM with the part that was censored so that I can keep it for personal sentimental reasons. I have a habit of getting attached to long essays that I write.

I think that the forums haven't exactly been easy on the new mods recently. I've seen a lot of hate, a lot of pointing fingers. But remember. Everyone starts somewhere low, and gradually builds their own fortress of experience and skill in their respective jobs. Forumers like RC and HalfSquirrel started out struggling with their alphabets, and nowadays they have thousands upon thousands of posts. Amazing coders and plugin developers like Devin and subv3rsion may have started out coding tiny little plugins like colored chat or something.
However, then again you can also say that the Moderators that MCSG hires are supposed to already be top-notch. They're already expected to know how to type very well, and recognize a hacker when they see one. They're expected to respond to the players as a proper staff member. That's why applications ask for past experience, right?
MCSG was created to be a fun place.
And now? A lot of the members can't have fun, because they're worried about when they'll run into the next hacker, or whining about how the staff are seemingly "ignoring" them when they're supposed to be on the job. Is this the community's fault, or does MCSG have a hand somewhere in this?

And before anyone tries to point this out to me: Yes, I am indeed keeping in mind that a lot of the players just like to play the game itself, and don't worry about reporting hackers, or even know what hackers are. They don't go on the forums and say "Oh, the staff are lazy!" They just move on to the next round.
However, there are a lot of us here on the forums. Maybe not a large portion, but I like to think of the people that go on the forums and stay here some of the smarter, older, and possibly more mature players. And a lot of us here on the forums do care about MCSG. (I don't mean to generalize non-forumers or forumers, I'm simply stating how it feels to me.)

One question that I'm asked the most is this:
If you don't play MCSG, why do you stay on the forums? And why do you help the players?
My answer?
I care.

I care about MCSG. I care about the forums, about the staff team, about the servers, about the builders, the noobs, the hackers, the lag, the plugin, the players, and everything about MCSG.
I care about what happens to MCSG.
This obviously isn't the right thread to write my life's story, so I won't, but my reason is that MCSG has become a large part of my life. It's saved me, in more ways than one.
And I know that it has done similar deeds for other players. I've seen and spoken to people who have said that they were depressed, or maybe even suicidal. But they played MCSG, and met people via clans or the forums or in-game, and they made friends. And they had fun.
But I'm seeing a lot less people like that. Recently, it's all been competitive. It's been climbing the leaderboards, striving for that next 50 wins. If you die, you call hacks. If you win, you say "GG GET REKT NUB". This isn't how MCSG should be, in my eyes. It's not MCSG's fault, but is there anything done to solve it? Sure, there's the generic "Respect other players" and stuff, but people don't seem to recognize that respect comes in more forms than just not pulling yo' mama jokes, even though that still happens too.
(And yeah, I've played a few games in the past few days)

Now, whenever
criticizing anything about MCSG, I tell others to try to include a solution. I'd be a fool, honestly, to not keep in mind my own advice, and the advice of someone I really admire, Col_StaR, who I got this from a few weeks ago. I'll try to do this.

The New Mods - The issue is that they're not "good" enough? I feel that this is an opinion, which is supported by some "evidence" or "facts", such as examples of being ignored on TeamSpeak, or locking when it wasn't necessary. I must admit, I have poked staff members for various things, and have not received responses. However, we have to keep in mind cases such as where the person went to get food, or had to go walk a dog, or had to go do the dishes for their family. Everyday occurrences that someone might not think of taking off the [Poke if Needed] tag for, because they're so ordinary and common, yet do take someone away from their computer.
However, then again - In their applications, I believe this is mentioned.
How much time a week are you willing to donate to help moderate our forums and servers?:
And as far as I know, a lot of applicants (Such as myself and some friends who asked me to review their application before posting) put numbers pretty dang high, like upwards of 20. What the staff members and applicants should realize is that this is time spent on MCSG exclusively, not just from 5 PM-9 PM, just because they played one game at 5, got called away to do chores, then eat dinner, and came back at 7:30 to play a few more games before going to bed.
I don't know exactly how the Mod Interview is conducted, but I don't think that they go super in-depth into parts of the applicant's application such as that. A simple question to ask, really, is "When you mean ({Time} to {Time}), did you mean exclusively or including various tasks such as chores, mealtimes, and other things that could take you away from your duty? And does this include personal time playing MCSG as well as Moderating, or just Moderating?" (I have no clue whatsoever if this is in fact asked during the interview, but if it's not, then I think it would be a pretty good suggestion)

Also, just another suggestion, but if the decision is borderline on whether or not to approve someone for the interview or Mod rank... Either deny them, because they weren't clearly good enough, or do some research on them. Minecraft forums profile, check their MCSG forum history, and maybe check their IP to see if there are any accounts or alts that they haven't mentioned. As cruel as this is... look for flaws. It's their own fault if they give you a reason to deny them.
But don't risk MCSG's fun-factor when hiring a mod who you think might turn sour.

Okay, as with sooo many of my other posts, I've gotten distracted somewhere along the journey that I call "writing", so unfortunately I'm going to have to end this off here. I would love to discuss things like so-called "unfair" promotions, demotions, bans, unbans, drama, and so many other things, but I don't think that's the purpose of this thread.

Also, I apologize if you burned your eyes while reading this, I know it was a bit long. It took me like 45 minutes to write this, at least.
Lastly, please do not delete this thread unless you absolutely have to. Seriously. I just put a crap ton of effort into writing this post, I'd be kinda pissed, personally, if this entire thread was deleted, posts and all.

R

roguehh

Recently people have been making more complaints than MCSG has ever received as a whole. Why have they been receiving these complaints? The lack of dedication and the un-noticing of a slowly degenerating community is why. MCSG has recently been looked at through many people as a "ignoring, lazy, dying community".
I actually got offended reading all of your accusations about mods being lazy and having a lack of dedication. And I'm not even in the staff team anymore. I would ask you to consider that moderators take time out of their lives to help this community out. Most of their time is spent on performing moderator actions. They are working and not playing games so you can.

If you have a problem with an individual staff member, you should talk to a Sr. Moderator about it. But to characterize the entire staff team as 'ignoring' and 'lazy' is wildly unjustified.

During my time in the staff team I have never encountered a single staff member who ignored a person asking for help. In my experience, whenever a mod gets poked they will immediately stop whatever it is that they're doing and respond to the poke. If the mod is busy, catching another hacker for example, they will likely not be able to respond instantly. However, most of the time they will get another mod to respond instead. The same goes for in-game situations.

Next, moderator activity. I've witnessed first hand the dedication of the staff team. The commitment they have to their work is beyond compare. Furthermore, the amount of work all the mods do on any given day is incredible. For example, have you ever submitted an Abuse Report? Those rarely stay unanswered for longer than an hour. Then there's responding to pokes on Teamspeak, moderating the hub, hopping from server to server to moderate in-game, moderating the forums and some mods even sign up to help out on 'extracurricular' projects.
If any of the upper-staff of MCSG have noticed this type of behavior within its members, then why don't they do something? Why don't they do something, well, as it has been stated, MCSG has become "lazy". The foundation of this community is its members. The members make this community what it is today. This foundation of members have been changing. Change can be good sometimes, sometimes bad. But the change that MCSG has been living off of isn't so bright. The new staff that MCSG has been developing isn't much of a 'dedicated staff', as lots of people have been mentioning. The recent moderator pickups that MCSG have accepted haven't been the 'hard-working' mods that everyone wants. Want to know why?
The new mods are actually doing amazing work. I was part of the Hacker Census project which required the staff involved to analyze moderator activity. Without going into details, I can say that the new mods are more than pulling their weight. 'hard-working' is exactly the term I would use to describe them.
Well, the new mods of MCSG aren't really what we expect them to be. Recently, my friend _____ was playing in a game on Holiday Resort. While he was playing this game, he ran into a player while looking for gear to continue on the game. Once he went into fight this player, he immediately noticed that the opponent had a high chance of using a hacked client or multiple. When my friend died, he went onto the MCSG TeamSpeak and looked for a mod in the closest channel. Once he found a mod, he poked that mod and said *within these lines, but not in these exact words* "Hey, could you please come to my game in ___ to look into this player that I think is hacking?". Once he poked the mod, he waited a minute or so and noticed that he hadn't got the poke back. So, he went on to the next mod and poked him the same question. Well he went on to 2 other mods after that, and then one finally came into the game. Once the mod got to the game, he wen't into game master (A mode for mods that you can't see them by using the tap key) and was watching the hacker. My friend said *within these lines, but not in these exact words*, "I poked 3-4 mods and you were the only one that answered". The mod replied saying *within these lines, but not in these exact words*, "You aren't supposed to poke multiple mods if there is a hacker, you can record a video of the hacker and post a report abuse". My friend responded *within these lines, but not in these exact words*, "Well, what if I didn't have a recording software, nor' did I have a good computer to record videos on Minecraft?" Then the whole entire thing went on about that topic and the mod banned/kicked the hacker and it was a jolly day.
Why couldn't the first mod respond? Oh, was it because he was busy doing otherwise? Oh, was he just not in the mood? Oh, did he just not feel like it? Yeah, well thats what this whole thread is about. Moderators up to this date have been lazy and aren't what they used to be. Now, what I see in a PORTION of moderators is 'Oh, I have a red name, and I have more power then you, but sometimes I am just too lazy to do my job'. I remember the staff of MCSG doing what they desired to do when they were in the middle of typing their mod application, keeping this community intact. Now, mods just get mod to have the experience, not to endure it.
Like everyone else reading this thread, I don't know why the first mod couldn't respond. Neither do you. For all we know he was, in fact, busy catching another hacker. Still, you attribute him not responding to him being lazy. To say that is speculation and it's just not fair.
Edit: Some of you may comment about some of the mods actually doing their job, as I mentioned in this post is that I am relating this to a PORTION of the mods, not all.
You say this thread isn't aimed at all mods. Yet, you post a public thread about it, criticize the staff in no uncertain terms and without much nuance. Of course, you are allowed to state your own opinion. However, I would ask you to state it in a more calm and rational way. To add on to that, I don't know what your goal is with posting this thread but if you wanted to 'help the community out', you're not doing a very good job at it. If you really wanted to help, you would have reported the mod in question to a Sr. Mod so they could investigate the issue and take appropriate action.

thejambd

Platinum
Reaction score
And I rather think that the thread was prevented in a very civil manner compared to some others that I've seen, and was quite thoughtful. It is far from pointless - He was highlighting what he believed to be an issue with a portion of staff members.
This thread was pointless and utterly inaccurate to put it bluntly. As roguehh mentioned, if a user has a problem with a staff member then surely they should be consulting a Snr Moderator about it. The maker of this thread chose to not report this to a Senior Moderator but to post a thread in Community Corner and get the whole of the MC Gamer network to participate in it. Wrong on so many levels.

The staff work as hard as they can to meet the users needs and threads like this one are made in return.

Message to the maker of this thread: It's all very well making a thread like this telling us these problems but why not make a thread with real strategy trying to sort these problems out.

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that he couldn't exactly give a screenshot or recording of the events he used as an example, and he had to use ___'s for any specifics.

(Finally, a debatable thread! :eek: It's been so long since I've seen one of these <3 Now I have to make like 2 pages.)

Grab a coffee, sit down, because this could be long and ranty. <3 my specialty
Keep in mind that in my mind, this was a speech. It was something that could be said out loud and would still flow. Try to read it as such, it may change the way you view this. Thank you.
Also, if this needs to be censored for some reason, please contact me via PM with the part that was censored so that I can keep it for personal sentimental reasons. I have a habit of getting attached to long essays that I write.

I think that the forums haven't exactly been easy on the new mods recently. I've seen a lot of hate, a lot of pointing fingers. But remember. Everyone starts somewhere low, and gradually builds their own fortress of experience and skill in their respective jobs. Forumers like RC and HalfSquirrel started out struggling with their alphabets, and nowadays they have thousands upon thousands of posts. Amazing coders and plugin developers like Devin and subv3rsion may have started out coding tiny little plugins like colored chat or something.
However, then again you can also say that the Moderators that MCSG hires are supposed to already be top-notch. They're already expected to know how to type very well, and recognize a hacker when they see one. They're expected to respond to the players as a proper staff member. That's why applications ask for past experience, right?
MCSG was created to be a fun place.
And now? A lot of the members can't have fun, because they're worried about when they'll run into the next hacker, or whining about how the staff are seemingly "ignoring" them when they're supposed to be on the job. Is this the community's fault, or does MCSG have a hand somewhere in this?

And before anyone tries to point this out to me: Yes, I am indeed keeping in mind that a lot of the players just like to play the game itself, and don't worry about reporting hackers, or even know what hackers are. They don't go on the forums and say "Oh, the staff are lazy!" They just move on to the next round.
However, there are a lot of us here on the forums. Maybe not a large portion, but I like to think of the people that go on the forums and stay here some of the smarter, older, and possibly more mature players. And a lot of us here on the forums do care about MCSG. (I don't mean to generalize non-forumers or forumers, I'm simply stating how it feels to me.)

One question that I'm asked the most is this:
If you don't play MCSG, why do you stay on the forums? And why do you help the players?
My answer?
I care.

I care about MCSG. I care about the forums, about the staff team, about the servers, about the builders, the noobs, the hackers, the lag, the plugin, the players, and everything about MCSG.
I care about what happens to MCSG.
This obviously isn't the right thread to write my life's story, so I won't, but my reason is that MCSG has become a large part of my life. It's saved me, in more ways than one.
And I know that it has done similar deeds for other players. I've seen and spoken to people who have said that they were depressed, or maybe even suicidal. But they played MCSG, and met people via clans or the forums or in-game, and they made friends. And they had fun.
But I'm seeing a lot less people like that. Recently, it's all been competitive. It's been climbing the leaderboards, striving for that next 50 wins. If you die, you call hacks. If you win, you say "GG GET REKT NUB". This isn't how MCSG should be, in my eyes. It's not MCSG's fault, but is there anything done to solve it? Sure, there's the generic "Respect other players" and stuff, but people don't seem to recognize that respect comes in more forms than just not pulling yo' mama jokes, even though that still happens too.
(And yeah, I've played a few games in the past few days)

Now, whenever
criticizing anything about MCSG, I tell others to try to include a solution. I'd be a fool, honestly, to not keep in mind my own advice, and the advice of someone I really admire, Col_StaR, who I got this from a few weeks ago. I'll try to do this.

The New Mods - The issue is that they're not "good" enough? I feel that this is an opinion, which is supported by some "evidence" or "facts", such as examples of being ignored on TeamSpeak, or locking when it wasn't necessary. I must admit, I have poked staff members for various things, and have not received responses. However, we have to keep in mind cases such as where the person went to get food, or had to go walk a dog, or had to go do the dishes for their family. Everyday occurrences that someone might not think of taking off the [Poke if Needed] tag for, because they're so ordinary and common, yet do take someone away from their computer.
However, then again - In their applications, I believe this is mentioned.

And as far as I know, a lot of applicants (Such as myself and some friends who asked me to review their application before posting) put numbers pretty dang high, like upwards of 20. What the staff members and applicants should realize is that this is time spent on MCSG exclusively, not just from 5 PM-9 PM, just because they played one game at 5, got called away to do chores, then eat dinner, and came back at 7:30 to play a few more games before going to bed.
I don't know exactly how the Mod Interview is conducted, but I don't think that they go super in-depth into parts of the applicant's application such as that. A simple question to ask, really, is "When you mean ({Time} to {Time}), did you mean exclusively or including various tasks such as chores, mealtimes, and other things that could take you away from your duty? And does this include personal time playing MCSG as well as Moderating, or just Moderating?" (I have no clue whatsoever if this is in fact asked during the interview, but if it's not, then I think it would be a pretty good suggestion)

Also, just another suggestion, but if the decision is borderline on whether or not to approve someone for the interview or Mod rank... Either deny them, because they weren't clearly good enough, or do some research on them. Minecraft forums profile, check their MCSG forum history, and maybe check their IP to see if there are any accounts or alts that they haven't mentioned. As cruel as this is... look for flaws. It's their own fault if they give you a reason to deny them.
But don't risk MCSG's fun-factor when hiring a mod who you think might turn sour.

Okay, as with sooo many of my other posts, I've gotten distracted somewhere along the journey that I call "writing", so unfortunately I'm going to have to end this off here. I would love to discuss things like so-called "unfair" promotions, demotions, bans, unbans, drama, and so many other things, but I don't think that's the purpose of this thread.

Also, I apologize if you burned your eyes while reading this, I know it was a bit long. It took me like 45 minutes to write this, at least.
Lastly, please do not delete this thread unless you absolutely have to. Seriously. I just put a crap ton of effort into writing this post, I'd be kinda pissed, personally, if this entire thread was deleted, posts and all.

Kennyrulez

Diamond
Reaction score
I know who you are talking about, and he is not abusing his powers. Some of the locks have been on request, and others have been on what his guts told him. I think he is making the right choices.
Dave I've always wanted to ask this, but how about you start letting 14 year olds apply, like me? :) I've been here in the community ever since mcsg v1, know all the rules, talk to a lot of people, and am confident that I could ACTUALLY do a good job.
I'm exactly the same as you. I would have got my mod ages ago when I applied but I got denied because of age... ;(

Mooclan part you said about meeting people is so true for me. My three best friends are people I have met through MCSG

Fisheer

Career
Reaction score
im not complaining its just its highly insulting when people call us lazy when we are always working its not not in the publics eye as that is not our job
maybe lazy lazy was the wrong word to use, but the maker of this post is certainly correct

Kennyrulez

Diamond
Reaction score
maybe lazy lazy was the wrong word to use, but the maker of this post is certainly correct
I agree he is correct but insulting Dave is just ridiculous. The amount of work he does for the community is insane! (Even if he does make mistakes sometimes, everyone does)

Fisheer

Career
Reaction score
I agree he is correct but insulting Dave is just ridiculous. The amount of work he does for the community is insane! (Even if he does make mistakes sometimes, everyone does)
think you misread my post.

Reactions: Hks

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
This thread was pointless and utterly inaccurate to put it bluntly. As roguehh mentioned, if a user has a problem with a staff member then surely they should be consulting a Snr Moderator about it. The maker of this thread chose to not report this to a Senior Moderator but to post a thread in Community Corner and get the whole of the MC Gamer network to participate in it. Wrong on so many levels.

The staff work as hard as they can to meet the users needs and threads like this one are made in return.

Message to the maker of this thread: It's all very well making a thread like this telling us these problems but why not make a thread with real strategy trying to sort these problems out.
To me there is a point for this thread. I don't agree with quite a lot of this thread, but he does have some valid points in my opinion. As he said in the thread he wants to see what the rest of the community think about this. He might want to know am I the only one that thinks this. Also, as long this thread is kept civil, it is a great thread to share your opinion on this.
I understand you may not think it was pointless, but I am pointing out why I and probably some others think it has good reason to stay open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci