• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What have we come to?

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've just gotten off my exams and am now back on track with MCGamer work. Upon the recent map update I've noticed something that has got me thinking.

Let's go back 3 years. MCSG. MCSG was founded in April '12. 3 short days after it's opening I joined this community. This was back when we had less than 10 servers, all on US. When games lasted 1 hour. When dead tributes stayed and watched the entire game to find out who won. When people were supportive of one another and instead of "wow you got rekt, haha gg eZ kid" was "that was a good fight, keep it up!". Point is: times have really changed. I can't remember the last time someone said thank you to me for doing my work as a Sr. Staff member. I remember when community members actually looked up to staff members and didn't give them a hassle.

I remember having to play SG 1 over and over again because it was a great map and it was the only map. When Breeze Island came out I remember everyone going insane! Everyone loved it, as did I! I remember when people were thanked for their efforts, long hours, arguments and stress when it was finally paid off. I remember when a dev would join a server and everyone would thank them for creating such an amazing game. Now it's just people complaining and complaining, and complaining.

With Kithex releasing it's first map, a lot of people were excited, a lot of people were not, and in my personal opinion, a lot of people were jealous... Jealous of what? The map being added of course. I never imagined the map getting added. All Kithex was doing was making it look better. Yet here we have people who are giving non-constructive criticism without even playing the map yet! People have become so nitpicky. "oh you used this block too much, I'm never going to play this map". Really? I haven't seen one post saying "Thank you for putting the time and effort into making this map for us to play on", frankly I haven't seen that for about 2 years.

The community is reflecting on our generation. We don't enjoy the little things anymore. We complain but we never appreciate. So here is my challenge for you, for every complaint you make that is not helpful whatsoever (e.g: fix your servers), come up with one thing to thank the staff, developers and Chad himself.

Because really guys, what have we come to? How can we fix this toxic environment we have around us? How can we educate one another to be nice and caring for our fellow community members. Because for crying out loud, this is a video game about BLOCKS. I don't get paid for making maps, I don't get paid for doing the MCGamer Awards, I don't get paid for listening to community members abuse myself and my fellow staff, I don't get paid to uphold your ban disputes, or look at your mod apps. This is all out of the goodness of my heart. The least people can do is stop and say thank you to the people who are helping them. Because that's all we get, the best thing you can give myself, the staff and even other community members (specifically Map Makers), is a simple Thank You.

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
Those were the days...
On the other hand, this was very well written and I'm so glad it was done.(Most) People take everything for granted these days, and complain about everything and are ungrateful for what they actually do have.

bob_brickman99

Survivor
Reaction score

Don't worry, all of the maps on MCSG look AMAZING. It's really cool how the map makers can make what they do to the very high standard. Although there might be some people who dislike some of the maps, hold your heads high. You did a good job :D

There will always be haters. But people like me will support you ;)

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
That's because before it was a bunch of guys getting to learn a new game together, now it's a bunch of immature people being overly competitive about a game. In my opinion it's not as bad as people say it is. Sure staff and everyone was treated better back then, but that's not because they were better. It was because back then it was about having fun, now it's about winning. I remember that there were barely any hackers back then, the community was generally better and more mature. We can't go back, do your best to be a better person, but don't expect things to be the way they were. It's become too competitive for that now, now it's about winning.

EDIT: the 5 minute lobbies were a riot

LittleKisses

Quantum
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've just gotten off my exams and am now back on track with MCGamer work. Upon the recent map update I've noticed something that has got me thinking.

Let's go back 3 years. MCSG. MCSG was founded in April '12. 3 short days after it's opening I joined this community. This was back when we had less than 10 servers, all on US. When games lasted 1 hour. When dead tributes stayed and watched the entire game to find out who won. When people were supportive of one another and instead of "wow you got rekt, haha gg eZ kid" was "that was a good fight, keep it up!". Point is: times have really changed. I can't remember the last time someone said thank you to me for doing my work as a Sr. Staff member. I remember when community members actually looked up to staff members and didn't give them a hassle.

I remember having to play SG 1 over and over again because it was a great map and it was the only map. When Breeze Island came out I remember everyone going insane! Everyone loved it, as did I! I remember when people were thanked for their efforts, long hours, arguments and stress when it was finally paid off. I remember when a dev would join a server and everyone would thank them for creating such an amazing game. Now it's just people complaining and complaining, and complaining.

With Kithex releasing it's first map, a lot of people were excited, a lot of people were not, and in my personal opinion, a lot of people were jealous... Jealous of what? The map being added of course. I never imagined the map getting added. All Kithex was doing was making it look better. Yet here we have people who are giving non-constructive criticism without even playing the map yet! People have become so nitpicky. "oh you used this block too much, I'm never going to play this map". Really? I haven't seen one post saying "Thank you for putting the time and effort into making this map for us to play on", frankly I haven't seen that for about 2 years.

The community is reflecting on our generation. We don't enjoy the little things anymore. We complain but we never appreciate. So here is my challenge for you, for every complaint you make that is not helpful whatsoever (e.g: fix your servers), come up with one thing to thank the staff, developers and Chad himself.

Because really guys, what have we come to? How can we fix this toxic environment we have around us? How can we educate one another to be nice and caring for our fellow community members. Because for crying out loud, this is a video game about BLOCKS. I don't get paid for making maps, I don't get paid for doing the MCGamer Awards, I don't get paid for listening to community members abuse myself and my fellow staff, I don't get paid to uphold your ban disputes, or look at your mod apps. This is all out of the goodness of my heart. The least people can do is stop and say thank you to the people who are helping them. Because that's all we get, the best thing you can give myself, the staff and even other community members (specifically Map Makers), is a simple Thank You.
Well said!!! I also started mcsg way back in 2o12 when servers were on US and I thought I was pretty cool getting a scrap of leather and even maybe a wood axe! and not starving to death, haha good times.
The au community has become very 'toxic', highly competitive and more about who is 'popular'. Shame, because there are alot of dedicated staff, mapmakers, helpers and great players on au. Why can't people just make an effort to be nicer? doesn't take much really, less effort than being critical imo.
It can be very hurtful to staff, mapmakers etc. to constantly see critical negative comments. Ask yourself next time you are about to complain or criticise someone or something on mcgamer, "How would I feel if this was directed at me?"
My motto is that old saying "If you haven't got something nice to say... then shut up".
Aside from this, sometimes constructive criticism is necessary for progress, maybe just word it politely and take some time to think about the impact your words may have on others.
I would like to personally thank all of the staff, Chad, helpers, mapmakers and anyone else who helps to make this server the fun place it is, 'cus without them, it simply would not exist.
:)

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
To be honest I think people respecting the staff now is as likely as people respecting the police. Some people do it, but never will everyone.

ForsakenHero

Tribute
Reaction score
The feels :( I remember where there was no hackers whatsoever and everyone had a chance to win it wasn't just the competitive people that would win but also the people that were new to minecraft. I still remember that time and I always will I made so much friends at the time but then all of the sudden mcsg just switched to REKT GG EZ 10 HEARTS. I really don't know how because I quit for about 2 months to study. Came back and saw this junk I ignored it at first but it went completely out of hand so much people were complaining about how bad a map is. And complaining about staff how they are very inactive but really they are making the server 10 times better than it is. Just imagine if their wasn't staff to kick/ban people that hack there would probably be lobbies and lobbies filled with hackers. I got sick of it and decided to hack my self because I just had so much anger and after I got banned permanently I was thankful to see that their was staff noticing that they didn't quit on the server even after the amount of complaints people had. I thank you kitmencha you and the staff because people don't understand how much work you guys put onto the server <3 I hope everyone learns from this message. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci