• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My opinion of the new "SG Classic" servers

Reaction score
As with a lot of you on the forums, I missed the V1 servers. V2 has been fine, but the game has become so far disconnected from its survival roots. I won't call v2 PvP games, but yeah, well that's what it is. SGC has taken a step away from that, and moved back into the more survival based gameplay. A lot of people will say that v1 requires more luck and less skill, but I'll explain why I disagree.

I prefer the chests in V1 by far. I think it's because the lack of food, powerful weapons, and arrows, make it much more logical to walk around, and hide, rather than run like mad looking for people to kill. You need to scavenge for a lot more chests, because you no longer get a full set of leather armor, as well as 2 iron and a bow from 5 chests. You get a lot of junk, which forces you to go beyond your route to get items you need. In the games I played I find myself swimming to the islands on SG1 to get the food and armor I need, rather than having it all by the time I'm 1/2 done with my route.

To expound upon the food thing, unlike V2 we don't get a full hot-bar of food quickly. I find myself walking almost everywhere, actually using bowls, actually fishing, and actually hunting and using furnaces to make food more efficient. I find myself actually conserving, and it really matters that I eat only when I need to so I don't run out. Overall I find myself again, walking around trying to sustain my character, rather than hunting other players.

I've been a massive advocate of the old maps for sooooooo long, I could write a whole thread just about map 1 (But I'll try not to). Map 2 has been my favorite map for a long time, and Map 1 has been in the vicinity of #3 for quite some time as well. SG1 has a very traditional survival games feel. The terrain is interesting enough to create some battles that are varied, but still fairly even. I've always praised it for having the most even distribution of chests, every location has a few chests, and the wilderness bears just as many random chests. This map also has a great land to water ratio, and a good number of builds, it's simple and fun to play.

SG2 on the other hand, features a lot buildings, and little terrain, and focuses less on the equal distribution of chests, and more on the equal distribution of hotspots (Areas with a high number of chests). I think I prefer the distribution of chests on SG1, but on the other side, Sg2 has such a nice contrasting feel to SG1. It's beautiful for sure, and its surprisingly very fun to play. It has a very different feel than SG1, but I love it all the same.

On the flip side, I do have issues with the new servers. I'll do a list, a pargraph probably isn't necessary for most of these.
  • The perma-rain on SG1, I'm fine with weather being enabled, but It's a bit of a detriment when SG1 is raining constantly, it takes away from the game. I'm assuming this is a glitch.
  • No wolves on SG1.We need a use for our bones, if they're back in chests!
  • The lag is awful. I try not to complain about lag, but for some reason it seems to be multiplied on the servers making it hard to PvP.
I'll do a paragraph for this one..... No mobs. Chad said explicitly in his post that mobs were enabled, but in my experience I've seen no aggressive mobs. Skeletons, creepers, spiders, and zombies, made the summer games. They were that real test that forced the games to go faster naturally. They made sure that you were on your toes, and took out the weak. They were the real embodiment of survival in the survival games. People claim SG1 is boring -- Not with mobs...

In closing, Classic takes survival and strategy differently than v2 does. Rather than the strategy come in PvP, here it comes in resource management. Games are only partially determined by how good a PvPer is, it's also how good your route is, and how well you can manage what you have.

Many people say v1 is too luck based -
V1 is all about taking your luck, and doing all you can to turn it around for yourself. It's about being able to adapt to circumstances.
V2 seems fair because almost everyone can get loaded, but in reality all your doing is favoring the better PvPer.
In V1 your favoring someone who's resourceful and smarter. It's not about going in headfirst, it's about knowing when to hold back and hide, when to strike, and how to do it most efficiently.

Boboaluitz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Yes. The only thing that would make it more fun for me/everyone would be mobs. They were what kept it ticking. Once they removed mobs it started 'the age of V2', where a series of updates happened to make it work better, which also lead to 'fairness updates', which made the games more PvP based. The mobs were a part of the clockwork that made the games fast, scary, life threatening, and enjoyable.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Its just beautiful, but its hard to win... c:

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Yea, teams almost always win.
This is what I don't like. Teams and lucky players. My problem so far has been this: I know tons of chests on these maps. In v2, I can win on these maps easily. But acquiring armor has been far too difficult. At best I can get full leather so far, but it always seems that one or two players can get large amounts of armor and weapons from corn. With the lessening of secondary weapons, I just could not find a way to take these players down. Sneak attacks failed when my opponents could barely escape, get into water, eat golden apples, and I had no more arrows. That's what I appreciate about v2: Options. With flint and steel and moderate armor, I, even being mediocre, can use smart tactics to take out a stacked team at corn. With Classic, I simply cannot find truly effective ways to beat enemies with diamond swords when they kill me in 4 hits. What v2 also does is have distibution of good gear. In Classic, if you get full iron, there is very little that can hurt you. In v2, you cannot get complacent; there might be someone equally stacked coming for you. My struggle in Classic has nothing to do with a lack of survival skill or strategy; my limitations are options and gear distribution issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci