• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mojang's new rule against profit from Minecraft- Is it fair?

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
Another part of this is that you cannot buy or sell plugins. If this happens, it doesnt matter to me. I would do all my work for free, just being a good guy. Funny thing is, it would be quite annoying though >.< If this is in forced I will quit minecraft for good >.<

Nephilim

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If this happens, then why don't they remove the 'multiplayer' future in general. This is the only reason that I play minecraft. Singleplayer survival is just too boring for me so I play to go on servers and have fun with other people, not to play by my own the whole day. I would do the same as others, just quit playing minecraft.

SniperSnakez

District 13
Reaction score
Guys. Mojang has produced one of the top selling games, theya re smart. Very smart. Why would Mojang do this? It would kill 50% of there players. You have nothing to worry about, Mojang is too smart to do anything like that.

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Guys. Mojang has produced one of the top selling games, theya re smart. Very smart. Why would Mojang do this? It would kill 50% of there players. You have nothing to worry about, Mojang is too smart to do anything like that.
I hope you're right...

R

roguehh

A few interesting quotes from Erik Broes, a Minecraft developer for Mojang:
[3/06/2014 3:23:32 PM] Erik Broes: doesn't matter at all, based on plugins or not, you cannot make money with Minecraft without our permission :)
[3/06/2014 3:24:56 PM] Erik Broes: donations are no problem, but only in that purest sense, you get *NOTHING* back for a donation
[3/06/2014 10:20:28 PM] Erik Broes: You would be able to charge for access to your server
[3/06/2014 10:20:34 PM] Erik Broes: and take donations
[3/06/2014 10:20:40 PM] Erik Broes: and that's it.
And according to Broes, they are planning to enforce this.
[12:04:00 AM] Erik Broes: We'll ask nicely and then send really mean lawyers :)
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/27eo9b/no_more_pay_to_win_servers_d/

AGFire2013

District 13
Reaction score
If they do that, then it's bye-bye to about 90% of the servers.

C0nsole

Diamond
Reaction score
Essentially, due to the fact that there are quite a few "bad apples", servers who sell way overpriced upgrades, Mojang is deciding to take the screw them all approach. Instead of doing it in a very careful, almost surgical way, they decide to stop just about all minecraft servers from being able to stay online. I think they have the right idea, attempting to get rid of the servers who basically scam their users, but are going about it in the wrong way.

R

roguehh

Essentially, due to the fact that there are quite a few "bad apples", servers who sell way overpriced upgrades, Mojang is deciding to take the screw them all approach. Instead of doing it in a very careful, almost surgical way, they decide to stop just about all minecraft servers from being able to stay online. I think they have the right idea, attempting to get rid of the servers who basically scam their users, but are going about it in the wrong way.
It's not only that they are attempting to get rid of servers who are trying to scam users. Though that seems to be part of it.
[4:27:25 AM] Erik Broes: we get increasing amounts of complaints from users on support with 'things going wrong' or 'being unfair' or 'my kids has paid for this blabla and we demand a chargeback'
But it seems that they also just don't like the idea of paying for a game you already own.
[3/06/2014 10:18:56 PM] Erik Broes: if you are on a server, your experience should be the same as every other player
[3/06/2014 10:18:57 PM] Erik Broes: we just do not want people to mix the pools of 'paying people' and 'nonpaying people'
[4:28:37 AM] Erik Broes: It's quite simple really, Mojang doesn't like the way the game is slowly turning into a pay2win/pay2play monetized playground eventhough our rules say you cannot do that
[3/06/2014 11:39:22 PM] Erik Broes: (...) its hard to create a proper line between acceptable and non-acceptable microtransactions

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
Hopfully this doesn't go into effect, especially for people who are planning to uprgade to lifetime.

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
If mojang DOES infact inforce this rule, I will have people, "donate" to me before the plugin then we discuss later xD Loophole!

If mojang does inforce this, I feel like I will still donate to MCGamer and other deserving communities regardless of getting perks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci