• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Moderator questions.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Hi, I'm actually writing this because I personally want more mods for the servers, and I have a few questions with our current system.

1) Age.

I perfectly understand why the age limit is set, but I personally think 15 is to high. I think 13/14 would be more appropriate, as a good mod is judged on maturity and dedication, not age.

Back when I was 11, I was a dedicated member to an old server I play on, I'm 13 now. They chose 3 new moderators, and I was excited to be one of them. For examples sake, one was 15 and one was 21.

Basically, we were all trying to help the server to the best of our abilities, it wasn't a small task either, rushing around trying to help 20 people at once was very tiresome. Basically, after a month one of us would be picked to become Admin. Before this, our 15 year old mod was fired for lack of trust. He tended to do what he wanted on his own terms, not to help the community, he was also annoying to most of the players, I quote; '9 year old pricks, I only help people I like'. Fact was, most of them were around his age. The 21 year old was a good mod, but generally got annoyed at a few of them, as most people demanded us constantly.

Now, it was time to pick who would become an admin for the server, as a higher rank. The owner picked the 21 year old, because he was skeptical of my age, thinking I'd bunnies something up, and he was considering demoting me, but the community backed me up as they thought I was helpful, loyal and mature, even though I was 11. I played on this server for another year, serving the server as an admin a few weeks after the 21 year old became an admin, this was a huge honor for me.

My point I'm trying to get across is, age doesn't determine maturity. I completely understand though, a 11 year old would probably go power-hungry, and just get corrupted. I completely get this, but on a huge server like this, I doubt the application I made back when I was 11 would even be qualified for huge servers like this. My personal opinion is that 13/14/15 year olds should need to write a hell of an application to be considered, but if they were mature enough, and their application was amazing, they'd be accepted. I think this was the case back in the day, with a mod named Tironas. He was 13, but he wrote an amazing application which proved he was mature and well-suited for the job. Apparently he's one of the best mods MCSG has ever had.

2) Being a clan leader means you can't be a mod?

Okay, so. I've heard this was because a mod was corrupted back in the day and led a clan, banning their rival clans members, hell. This is stupid, you'd make a rule for a silly incident like this?

Being a clan leader should not detract from your duties at all, it should even give you more eyes and ears, you'd have inside information of who might be a hacker, who is probably abusive, this is through general players, who 'hackers' aren't scared of. You'll generally find if a mod's in the game a hacker will turn his hacks off, be a good boy. But if there's normal players in, he'll probably be like, 'hell, I'll pwn dese nubs wit my 1337 hakz!'.

Besides, if a clan leading mod decided to ban other players without proof, this is a loophole in the agreement, abusing your powers gets you de-modded/possibly banned, why should this incident be any different? Because he leads a clan he shouldn't be allowed to try and help the community more? This is totally stupid.

So, if you survived this. Could anyone mind filling in the few points I gave here? Thanks!

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
About the clan member rule I think it generally means competitiveness, due to the fact that many players would love to ban their nemesis who overpowered them in battle. Although there are many moderators who are competitive, I just think the rule should be, ruled out ;P

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
About the clan member rule I think it generally means competitiveness, due to the fact that many players would love to ban their nemesis who overpowered them in battle. Although there are many moderators who are competitive, I just think the rule should be, ruled out ;P
hehehe i c wud u did dar

But yeah, I mean. That's what I said. If you ban your 'nemesis' for being better than you, without evidence. You are breaking the contract you 'signed' which is abusing your powers. Which will easily get you de-modded.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
hehehe i c wud u did dar

But yeah, I mean. That's what I said. If you ban your 'nemesis' for being better than you, without evidence. You are breaking the contract you 'signed' which is abusing your powers. Which will easily get you de-modded.
Mhm. And possibly- permaa baan.

shootingsignals

Survivor
Reaction score
I actually agree that, in some cases, the age limit is a little too high although for the majority of under 15 year olds maturity is something they lack. On the server I co-own and administrate we have several mods under 15 and actually have a forum admin who is also an in game moderator that is 14 and he is one of the most mature people I have ever met, much more so than quite a number of 18+ year olds I know. Age is a tricky thing though and I completely understand why the limit is there, without it there would be an influx of under 15's apply, most of which wouldn't be suited to the role and this would present much more work for those reviewing applications. Unfortunately, due to the amount of younger members who show lack of maturity they effectively 'ruin' others chances who would be suited and that is something that happens all through life which, we just have to put up with. The same goes for the clan rule - it only takes that one person to cause a change for the worse.

CarissaTT

Survivor
Reaction score
Luckily I just made the age limit, however I do think experience & maturity are two of the main qualities they are looking for, which an older player is more likely to have, so an age limit makes sense. I feel sorry for the mature & experienced younger players however.

L

Lululioness

Luckily I just made the age limit, however I do think experience & maturity are two of the main qualities they are looking for, which an older player is more likely to have, so an age limit makes sense. I feel sorry for the mature & experienced younger players however.
*dislikes* Jokes, no.

I totally get the age limit, and what's the story with Tironas?

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I actually agree that, in some cases, the age limit is a little too high although for the majority of under 15 year olds maturity is something they lack. On the server I co-own and administrate we have several mods under 15 and actually have a forum admin who is also an in game moderator that is 14 and he is one of the most mature people I have ever met, much more so than quite a number of 18+ year olds I know. Age is a tricky thing though and I completely understand why the limit is there, without it there would be an influx of under 15's apply, most of which wouldn't be suited to the role and this would present much more work for those reviewing applications. Unfortunately, due to the amount of younger members who show lack of maturity they effectively 'ruin' others chances who would be suited and that is something that happens all through life which, we just have to put up with. The same goes for the clan rule - it only takes that one person to cause a change for the worse.
Exactly, thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. This is why I'd like the staff to make exceptions, especially now. They need all the help they can get at the moment.

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
*dislikes* Jokes, no.

I totally get the age limit, and what's the story with Tironas?
He sent in an app with 2k words when he was 13. He was initially rejected, but told that it was the best app ever sent in. He continued to enquire about it and they decided to make an exception.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci