• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

I'm going to be building a new computer - Suggestions needed

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Basically because the Pentium G3258 is a dual core with no hyperthreading, it will start to bog down if your running a bunch of stuff at the same time.

As long as you're not using more than 2 or 3 heavy programs at the same time you're fine. Doing a bunch of medium to light stuff should be no problem for this thing.

But don't be too worried about it, I'm saying like, if you were rendering a video, watching youtube at 1080p, and talking on skype all at the same time you might notice something. Learning to do a bit of light overclocking will help with this though, because that's pretty much what this CPU is made for.

Having things in the system tray like in that screenshot is fine, so you can leave spotify, google drive, etc. in there and it shouldn't cause trouble, because they aren't doing anything.

I would say, because you also have a GPU now, you could run OBS, Minecraft, and Skype/TS at the same time and be fine, close your browser when you can, or at least close any unused tabs, because browsers nowadays are huge resource hogs.

Tal_Pal

Platinum
Reaction score
obs and minecraft are more of a cpu thing, I haven't really worked with the Pentium processors so I don't know exactly what they can handle, it might not be able to handle live streaming but you'll have to test it. my i5 can live stream perfectly so I would imagine an i3 could handle streaming at 720p give or take some and a Pentium could possibly do 480p-720p not sure, like I said haven't really worked with Pentium processors so could do more, could do less. if you're not live streaming and only using it for recording then ignore this :p screen recording is less taxing then live streaming

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Pentium sort of has a negative connotation so I can understand why people shiver when they hear the name, but this specific part is more than capable.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
So I've been attempting to design an alternate build that's either better for the same price or cheaper but just as good, and I haven't been able to.

I made a few minor changes to the setup that cut down the price by about twenty bucks, but I didn't change anything major (and I wouldn't suggest changing anything if you've already started buying parts).

All in all, this is a really solid build, and probably the best computer you could possibly get for under 500 bucks. Props to Erisyuka and Cubes. You two designed a great machine for a low price.

This build has my full support, Mooclan.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
So I've been attempting to design an alternate build that's either better for the same price or cheaper but just as good, and I haven't been able to.

I made a few minor changes to the setup that cut down the price by about twenty bucks, but I didn't change anything major (and I wouldn't suggest changing anything if you've already started buying parts).

All in all, this is a really solid build, and probably the best computer you could possibly get for under 500 bucks. Props to Erisyuka and Cubes. You two designed a great machine for a low price.

This build has my full support, Mooclan.
Yep, I already bought all the parts.

I just have one question... will the Motherboard come with a VGA cable? XD I have two monitors, and one cord. I can get another one from a friend or buying one in a store, but eh...

And also, where's the cheapest place to get a copy of Windows? ;-; my mom won't let me rip it off of this computer.

Reaction score
I don't really see a point in building a computer unless your budget is AT LEAST $800. With only $475, it's not going to be able to get 100 FPS.

I think you should look for huge sales from popular brands. Or take up a different hobby.
This is wrong, my computer costs 450 dollars, yet it can run at 80 FPS on mcsg, and around 200 on singleplayer.

Reaction score
Yep, I already bought all the parts.

I just have one question... will the Motherboard come with a VGA cable? XD I have two monitors, and one cord. I can get another one from a friend or buying one in a store, but eh...

And also, where's the cheapest place to get a copy of Windows? ;-; my mom won't let me rip it off of this computer.
You can go to local electronics store, and get an edition for around 100 dollars. However the prices will be significantly subdued due on black friday, so I suggest buying it around then.

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
VGA cable
I hope you realize that VGA cables don't support a full 1080p if your monitors are.
For Windows, this is the cheapest you're going to get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416806

ALSO: I do have two old AMD GPUs laying around my room. My parents probably wouldn't let me mail them to you for "safety reasons", but I could put them on Ebay together for like $100. PM for proof or if you're interested.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
RIP my budget
RIP my resolution
*Sigh*
Oh well.
What I say you should do:
First of all, don't listen to anyone who tells you to get Windows 7, 8 and up perform circles around windows 7 and you shouldn't be stubborn about updating just because of a start button, especially on a budget rig with no SSD.

Secondly, run the Windows 10 Technical Preview, it's free and it's going to be free until Windows 10 comes out, by then you can save up and buy the actual thing. I'm running it right now inside a Hyper-V Virtual Machine and on my Macbook Air.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

And ya, because VGA an analog signal, once you start going into the higher resolutions, the quality starts to go down, does your monitor have a DVI connector? it's a white rectangle. If so, use that, the cable should be about the same price as a VGA and it will be able to do 1080p fine.

Another thing, don't be that person who goes into a store and pays $20+ for a cable, buy it online. I usually buy the AmazonBasics cables or a random one on ebay.

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
Secondly, run the Windows 10 Technical Preview
I'm running Windows 10 on my Oracle Virtual Machine and still really buggy. Also, he's going to need a boot disc, which Windows 10 isn't on yet. So he will need Windows 7 or 8. I just gave him Windows 7 Home, since it was the cheapest.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm running Windows 10 on my Oracle Virtual Machine and still really buggy. Also, he's going to need a boot disc, which Windows 10 isn't on yet. So he will need Windows 7 or 8. I just gave him Windows 7 Home, since it was the cheapest.
You can create a bootable USB stick, that's what I do, my DVD drive is just an ornament. and the Technical Preview isn't that buggy, it's actually really stable, if you got the updates they released after the Preview came out.

Mooclan, just listen to me and get the Tech Preview, unless you pay for 8.1, that's your best option, and it's only temporary.
I use it on a daily basis on a virtual Machine and real hardware and it's fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci