• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

I'm going to be building a new computer - Suggestions needed

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
I love you Cubes, and thank you so much for this list, but it's just way too expensive. My absolute limit is $500.

I switched out the Hard Drive for this: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003
This dropped the price closer within my budget.

I substituted the RAM in your list to this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b
It's still DDR3-1600 by a (what I think is) reputable source, and slightly cheaper.

I took out the case that you had in there, since I already have one and/or will be able to obtain one for a very low price.

After that, the estimated price was around $470, which is just barely within my range.

If I can change the graphics card for something slightly cheaper, let me know. If not, I'm going to start buying parts in about an hour and a half.

Edit: Also, thank you so much Zeno.
Those changes seem fine. They should work well. If at all possible, I'd wait to buy the most expensive parts until black friday/cyber monday. Essentially, you'll be able to get your parts cheaper. It'd probably be okay to buy things like RAM, storage, and other basics, but as for the motherboard, CPU, and GPU, companies LOOOVE to put them on sale.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Those changes seem fine. They should work well. If at all possible, I'd wait to buy the most expensive parts until black friday/cyber monday. Essentially, you'll be able to get your parts cheaper. It'd probably be okay to buy things like RAM, storage, and other basics, but as for the motherboard, CPU, and GPU, companies LOOOVE to put them on sale.
And I would "LOOOVE" to buy them while they are on sale, but unfortunately I don't think I have that much time. ;_; I'm hoping to have it done by next Tuesday, possibly Wednesday.

The finished thing so far:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mooclan/saved/nTcBD3

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
All in all, that looks decent. What kind of case are you going for again?
I'm not really sure ;-;
I have some sort of Antec case from 4-5 years ago upstairs, and if that doesn't work out then I have a friend with literally 30+ cases that he doesn't use. He sells parts, so I can just get something off of him. I'll be meeting w/ him next Saturday.

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
I'm not really sure ;-;
I have some sort of Antec case from 4-5 years ago upstairs, and if that doesn't work out then I have a friend with literally 30+ cases that he doesn't use. He sells parts, so I can just get something off of him. I'll be meeting w/ him next Saturday.
Great :)
Just make sure you triple check everything for compatibility. In terms of part compatibility, they all should work fine together. However, make sure that your case meets some requirements.

Needs to fix standard ATX motherboards.
Needs to have support for standard sized PSUs. (Try to find out weather the the PSU will be loaded in the top or bottom of the case)
May need to research how large of a GPU you can put into it. It's probably not an issue with your build, but I had an 11 inch card that extended past the length of the motherboard. I almost couldn't use it because my case wasn't large enough to keep it from running into the hard drive bays.

Research, research, research. That's my best advice. Before you start piecing things together find some tutorials on the basics of how to put a computer together. It's pretty similar for most computers, but there's finite details that you need to know. Good luck :)

Edit: This isn't my build, but it's the same case and card (aside from color). You can see how close the card comes to the end of the case. http://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static/...51f11589.81743773a0eceae64b7299a3c4c9a06f.jpg

YourAverageTiger

i control this entire operation
Reaction score
Great :)
Just make sure you triple check everything for compatibility. In terms of part compatibility, they all should work fine together. However, make sure that your case meets some requirements.

Needs to fix standard ATX motherboards.
Needs to have support for standard sized PSUs. (Try to find out weather the the PSU will be loaded in the top or bottom of the case)
May need to research how large of a GPU you can put into it. It's probably not an issue with your build, but I had an 11 inch card that extended past the length of the motherboard. I almost couldn't use it because my case wasn't large enough to keep it from running into the hard drive bays.

Research, research, research. That's my best advice. Before you start piecing things together find some tutorials on the basics of how to put a computer together. It's pretty similar for most computers, but there's finite details that you need to know. Good luck :)

Edit: This isn't my build, but it's the same case and card (aside from color). You can see how close the card comes to the end of the case. http://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static/...51f11589.81743773a0eceae64b7299a3c4c9a06f.jpg

This us a summary of what we all are trying to tell.

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
I would love to wait until Black Friday (When is Cyber Monday?) but I'm under a time limit. My dad wants to sue my family for my computer, and my mom would rather just give it to him and build me a new one.

- I'll be using a tower that I already have, cutting off about $40.
- I have a good chance of being able to obtain either the SSD, HDD, or possibly both from an IRL connection. If that works out, it could drop my expenses by as much as $50-$75.

If that works out, I'll have about ~$150 of extra room with which I can upgrade the processor and get a graphics card.

Making an alternate parts list would be amazing.
The maker of the current parts list had told me that I didn't need a GPU, and would be able to just get one later.
I don't know what you might have to do to get me to where I need to be, but do whatever you can please ;-;
(Also, refer to the bolded text above)

I'm aiming to have the computer built and ready play on by the 11th or 12th...
November 14th is the EliteSquad's 2 year anniversary, and I wanted to have something special to commemorate that, like a video. c: I also wanted to name the computer "The EliteSquad".
#EliteSquad4Lyf
If you don't remember what the EliteSquad is, we were the #3 US clan back in like December of 2012. I joined Dec. 21st or so as a trial member, and became co-leader the next day.
(ahhh, the 2012 memories)

If you read a bit higher up in this post, I don't exactly have a choice.
I need to get a new computer soon, and my family doesn't really have the financial wiggle-room to go above $500.
(a new hobby? hah lel ur fnny. no.)
What about ping pong? >:C

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
First of all can someone explain what Peacekeeper means? cuz it says that under my name and I don't know why.

So based on all this:
Right move dropping the SSD, the GPU gives him performance now, whereas the SSD is more of a long term performance factor, he probably doesn't use an SSD now so it's not like he's addicted to the speed yet.

He says he can get ahold of a case, that's ok, ATX cases haven't changed very much over the years so as long as he's careful putting the parts in he should be fine. Just have to make sure the case he's getting isn't one of those slimline cases that use low profile PCI cards. His GPU is small enough where there shouldn't be any problems when it comes to length.

Cubes did a good job justifying why I chose the Pentium G3258, as long as he's doesn't have a bunch of programs open at once he should be fine, that thing only has 2 cores. he can overclock it a tiny bit on the stock cooler, then get a hyper 212 or something later. Nothing too crazy though, that processor isn't worth investing more than it's worth on cooling.

Up until recently I ran that same power supply with an overclocked 3770k, 6 hard drives, a GTX 670, and a power hungry 4 port Ethernet card, so he should be more than fine with what he's using it for, unlike me pushing it all the way, his parts are only going to be sipping power for the most part.

In this day an age, you shouldn't have anything below 8GB ram at 1600Mhz, it's just wrong, especially with how people just leave millions of tabs open in chrome nowadays.

I'll come on randomly and through my two cents in when it comes to computer stuff, just think of me as a random event in Runescape.

For those of you interested, here's what my build evolved into after I left, (I have over 8.75TB of storage and 28 USB ports)
(This list contains my peripherals and monitors too)
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Plextor M6e 128GB PCI-E Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: HP 27xi 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Monitor: HP 27xi 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse
Speakers: Logitech X-140 4W 2ch Speakers
Other: Intel PRO/1000 VT Quad Port Server Adapter LP PCI-E EXPI9404VT
Other: StarTech.com 7 Port PCI USB Card Adapter PCIUSB7
Other: nateck® 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card
Other: NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (Black)
Other: USB 3.0 A Type Female to Female 20 Pin Box Header Slot Adapter
Other: Monoprice 18-Inch SATA III 6.0 Gbps Cable
Other: Enermax Mighty Card Reader (ECR501)
Storage: Seagate 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0(STDT3000100)
Other: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station
Storage: Hitachi 500GB HD (Scavenged)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive (Scavenged)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive (Scavenged)
Storage: Xbox 360 Slim Samsung 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive (Scavenged)

Last edited:

Tal_Pal

Platinum
Reaction score
I would see if you could squeeze a gtx 750 ti SC by evga it's shy of $200 and it's a boss gfx card for the price. I use it and I can game 1080p max settings on every game i've thrown at it with an i5. amazing card with amazingly low power consumption, like 75w and doesn't require external power connection otherwise looks good, and i3 might not be a bad idea either if it's not too much extra. idk the price different between Pentium and i3. also amd makes great affordable, powerful CPUs that might be up your ally, if you want to look into it. if you want extra help, you can reply or pm me on the forums. Hope this helps

-Tal-

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
What about ping pong? >:C
I have several friends who do that... I'm just not really looking to do stuff like that, plus there's no room in my house for a ping pong table. :p

First of all can someone explain what Peacekeeper means? cuz it says that under my name and I don't know why.

So based on all this:
Right move dropping the SSD, the GPU gives him performance now, whereas the SSD is more of a long term performance factor, he probably doesn't use an SSD now so it's not like he's addicted to the speed yet.

He says he can get ahold of a case, that's ok, ATX cases haven't changed very much over the years so as long as he's careful putting the parts in he should be fine. Just have to make sure the case he's getting isn't one of those slimline cases that use low profile PCI cards. His GPU is small enough where there shouldn't be any problems when it comes to length.

Cubes did a good job justifying why I chose the Pentium G3258, as long as he's doesn't have a bunch of programs open at once he should be fine, that thing only has 2 cores. he can overclock it a tiny bit on the stock cooler, then get a hyper 212 or something later. Nothing too crazy though, that processor isn't worth investing more than it's worth on cooling.

Up until recently I ran that same power supply with an overclocked 3770k, 6 hard drives, a GTX 670, and a power hungry 4 port Ethernet card, so he should be more than fine with what he's using it for, unlike me pushing it all the way, his parts are only going to be sipping power for the most part.

In this day an age, you shouldn't have anything below 8GB ram at 1600Mhz, it's just wrong, especially with how people just leave millions of tabs open in chrome nowadays.

I'll come on randomly and through my two cents in when it comes to computer stuff, just think of me as a random event in Runescape.
Peacekeeper is basically like the new "Active Member". They changed all of the forum ranks, and Mockingjay is the highest. :3 5k posts to get it.

Concerning how many programs I can have open..
Would it be acceptable for me to have:
Minecraft at decent settings and render distance
Livestreaming program such as OBS, recording/streaming
TeamSpeak
And these things running in the background:

???

(If you want to look at it again, this is the parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mooclan/saved/nTcBD3)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci