• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

I'm going to be building a new computer - Suggestions needed

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
You can create a bootable USB stick, that's what I do, my DVD drive is just an ornament. and the Technical Preview isn't that buggy, it's actually really stable, if you got the updates they released after the Preview came out.

Mooclan, just listen to me and get the Tech Preview, unless you pay for 8.1, that's your best option, and it's only temporary.
I use it on a daily basis on a virtual Machine and real hardware and it's fine.
o.o but can I use programs like TS, Minecraft, League, and OBS? I doubt they're updated for it.
:eek:

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
o.o but can I use programs like TS, Minecraft, League, and OBS? I doubt they're updated for it.
:eek:
You can, it's a common misconseption that programs need to be updated for the newest OS.
Yes some programs may not work, but the grand majority will.

Windows 10 is just 8.1 but turning Virtual Desktops and the Start Menu back on. It was originally supposed to be regular update to 8.1 anyway. Microsoft is just trying to use it to push everyone off of XP and 7. Which it will because it's everything that 8 should have been. Just like how 7 is everything (Pre-Service Pack) Vista should have been.

I'm using WINDOWS VISTA drivers for my 4 Port Ethernet card on my 8.1 machine right now and it's running perfectly fine. Just as well as it was on Windows Server 2008

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
If you're looking for somewhat decent CPU's and are on a budget, please invest in AMD, they're somewhat cheaper. I myself have an 800 dollar build at my dad's house with an AMD FX 8350, if you're looking for a low priced computer look for AMD CPU's around there (maybe some older models like the 6000 series). For a GPU it's an absolute must. Don't quote me on this, but I believe you can get a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti for around 100 dollars. It's a relatively solid card for a low-ish price.

If you were just playing Minecraft, I'd recommend simply going out to Best Buy and checking out the packages they have there and buy something that is more CPU intensive. Since Minecraft is very CPU intensive relative to the GPU intensity, I'd try to make sure you have a solid processor (a mistake I made on my dad and I's build), and then you can pick around for lower end graphics cards. If you can snag an Intel i5 and a workstation-grade GeForce GT 640 (what I used to have before upgrading at my mom's) you should be able to run Minecraft just fine.

However since you're into League and CS:GO I'm not sure what they specifically entail, but if you're a more versatile gamer I'd recommend trying to even out your PC.

I hope I made sense, my dad was pressing me for time while writing this. Best of luck! c:

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My tip would be to keep saving up so you can get a better computer- $800 will get you a decent computer.

EDIT: Also, since you're playing Minecraft and CS:GO which rely on bulky CPU and GPU power respectively, try to balance the amount of money you spend on both of them out so that you can get an effective combo.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Originally I was planning on building an AMD machine for him but I figured it would be better to start him off on an Intel one, so that way he can upgrade to an i5 4690 in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci