• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How open are you about what you do online with your parents?

Do your parents know what you do online?

• Total voters

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
My parents probably wouldn't be pleased to hear that I've been talking to people I don't know for at least a year and a half without them knowing. They probably wouldn't mind so much about the 'forumming' I've done over the years, but I've never told them about that either. Who knows, but I have no intentions to spill the beans anytime soon. The only thing I'll probably discuss with them is if I become a moderator, because it's quite a significant commitment, one that I'd have to be diligent with.

Ask my parents and you'll get that I play Minecraft in almost all of my spare time and that I occasionally speak to real-life friends who play the game.

Ask me, and I'll tell you the exact same thing; except I speak to people I have no ties to in real life way more than I do real-life friends.

I prefer talking to those people that I've met online, because I feel I can have a better time with them. Meeting with people who are roughly the same age as me and have similar interests online is a lot easier for me than it is in real-life (not because I have issues making friends, but I have issues finding people who like the same things I do). It's a tricky topic for me.

I'm very secretive of my Skype account, because I had a bad experience in the past. Basically, I added this guy who owned a MineZ clan that I wanted to join, he was about 18 years old; I was 13 at the time. Back then, I used my parents' computer for gaming, and I had my old Skype account always logged in (never again will I do this).
So, the guy I added on Skype changed his status one day to something with profanity in it. A few days later, when I came home from school, my dad asked me for a 'chat' (didn't really know what to expect). So he went into my Skype account and showed me his profile, and asked me who he was and did I know him in real life (it's noteworthy that this person had a picture of himself as his profile picture which didn't help at all). I told him I didn't know and proceeded to lie about how there's a way that people can add themselves to your contact list without your approval. My dad, being a fairly inexperienced technological mind took the bait, and I blocked the person on Skype in front of him. To this day, I have 2 different Skype accounts; one for real-life and one dedicated to online people.

Short answer: No, I'm not open about my online doings. I just don't want my parents to become involved in my 'second personality' that I have going.

YelloDawg39

Career
Reaction score
No. Well, kinda. Lel. That's what makes me want to quit. Pretty bad at keeping stuff from my family.

EagleMan

Survivor
Reaction score
I have had bad experiences with this kind of thing. Back around 18 months ago, I added two or three randoms that I met in-game and played a few games. It was pretty fun. But one day I suppose I was being a bit loud and my Mum head me from upstairs.
She came down here and I ended the call as fast as I could and closed the computer. Unfortunatley, that wasn't enough. She opened in and, instead of taking the point, he kept on calling me.

"Who's this?!" Mum shouted.

"Ummm, errr" I stammered.

"WHO'S [name]?!" she screamed again.

"This kid I met in-game" I finaly said.

"Right! Go to your room, your banned for two weeks!"

Aaaand that's why they have absolutely no idea what I do online.

NatsuOP

Diamond
Reaction score
Before people who follow this thread say "How on Earth did NatsuOP/ForumDisgracer find this ?" Let me say that I was looking for a certain thread a while back and Mooclan 's paragraph caught my eye .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My parents know what I do online , They sometimes hover over my back to watch me . Enter my room and leave my DOOR OPEN(I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT) and they know I rage alot , but I never really go ham . I keep emotions inside of me so I don't disturb others (Raging at other people IRL) My parent's hate the fact that I am online alot , but they have to accept it . Me , a 14 year old boy High Honors Student in the #1 School in the state who sleeps in class and does a sport and still manages to pass deserves to do what he wants (Except drugs) I'm not saying they spoil me and give me the freedom that they want but they know who I talk to , and what I am doing (watching pron etc XD JKJKJK)

BlueSyled

Diamond
Reaction score
My parents kinda know, Im not gonna go into the details trough :)

OwenzKillz

Platinum
Reaction score
Before people who follow this thread say "How on Earth did NatsuOP/ForumDisgracer find this ?" Let me say that I was looking for a certain thread a while back and Mooclan 's paragraph caught my eye .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My parents know what I do online , They sometimes hover over my back to watch me . Enter my room and leave my DOOR OPEN(I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT) and they know I rage alot , but I never really go ham . I keep emotions inside of me so I don't disturb others (Raging at other people IRL) My parent's hate the fact that I am online alot , but they have to accept it . Me , a 14 year old boy High Honors Student in the #1 School in the state who sleeps in class and does a sport and still manages to pass deserves to do what he wants (Except drugs) I'm not saying they spoil me and give me the freedom that they want but they know who I talk to , and what I am doing (watching pron etc XD JKJKJK)
You need to calm down

MyrkrBrandr

Career
Reaction score
I really don't see why parents would care if you talk to friends online. My parents know, My computer is right next to the family room xD

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Wait, what post? >_>

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci