• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How open are you about what you do online with your parents?

Do your parents know what you do online?

• Total voters

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
Heyo!

So, I've been asking myself this a lot- should I tell my parents about what I do online?

For example, the fact I make, and (fortunately thanks to amazing people) am able to sell and gain profit from making graphics online, or that I talk to strangers online and some of these strangers have become the best friends I have.

Some of these things I can imagine not going over so well-

"Wait.. You've talked to strangers on the internet?"

"You've done business with strangers on the internet?"

All of these things have become very normal to me, but with parents, a generation convinced everyone on the internet is a 40-year old mustached man, can be hard to make sense of.

Some of you may think: "What's the big deal?" and the big deal is the fact it could go one of two ways.

Success
My parents are happy to hear I've been able to gain experience making graphics, since that's a career I'd like to pursue, and though skeptical, also happy to hear I've met some amazing people.

Failure
My parents are horrified at the fact I've been talking to strangers over the internet, and I lose all internet privilege.

Knowing my parents, I think it would be a success, however since I have no for-sure idea, I feel like it's too much of a risk in possibly losing the entirety of my internet privileges.

It'd be nice to tell them so they don't think I'm just on my iPad playing temple run and angry birds all day when in actuality, I'm talking with friends, coordinating business, running a YouTube channel, and forumming :p

So, now that my 'side' has been discussed, what about you guys? Do your parents know what you do online?

Kind of random discussion thread, and I know something similar has been done, but this has been on my mind so I figured I'd see what you guys have been doing :p

Reaction score
I was really shy about it at first, and it took me about a year to confess to them I have online friends. They weren't really happy about it at first, but I kind of talked to them about it a bit and I convinced them that it was okay, and that my internet friends are "great" people (LOL), and now they're perfectly fine with it. They're just worried about me getting into online dating, or wanting to meet up with my online friends.

Last edited:

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
No, my parents doesn't know that I have friends online. They think I just sit there and play minecraft with no social interaction. I can't imagine that going well...
"Hey mom, I have really close friends on the internet who I've shown my face to them and told them my name and area of the country that I live in. I also have a girlfriend who lives far away that I met online. kbai."
"YOU'RE GROUNDED FOREVER"

I wonder if she can hear me talking to Brownieee right now. I can imagine her coming downstairs and being like "kyle who are you talking to" and im like ummm

NyanCaatt

District 13
Reaction score
My parents know I have online friends.
In fact, they know that they're basically my only friends.
All my friends irl I either never see them, talk to them or they're well older than me. .-.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci