• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How open are you about what you do online with your parents?

Do your parents know what you do online?

• Total voters

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
My parents know I play mc and they think it's bad but they don't know about all these forum friends and online Skype friends and all that stuffs

This seems to be the general consensus in this thread, people saying they know I play but not about my gf and my besties online and all that stuff

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
My parents (Well my mom) know that I play Minecraft and I consist of this community. My mom also knows that I am gaining money, and eventually she knows it will add up to a possible career. Seeing as my goal is to be a developer for a large company, such as, Google or Microsoft which is why I'm starting small by developing plugins. Another bonus to developing online is when I'm a teenager having "Systems Administrator for a small online community" will help on my resume, so my mom lightens the amount of complaining on me.

She knows I talk occasionally online, I'll speak to billy or mlp occasionally and shes fine with that. She knows I'm responsible enough to not make meetup times and the usual mom stuff :)

QualiaV2

Experienced
Reaction score
My mum knows I play games but she thinks I talk to irl friends and when she hears someone with a deeper voice than me she slaps me and tells me not to speak to 40 year olds. The innocence of her generation.

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
I would tell my parents. I really would. But the one time that I started, my mum gave me the longest talk ever about how strangers are "dangerous" and she went on about DDoS and illegal things and she basically thought they would show me videos. You know. Those videos. I told her I play minecraft, but she thinks that minecraft is somehow related to Starcraft, which many people are addicted to in my country. She thinks I might get addicted if I play too much.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
My mom knows very clearly what I do. She knows I go on TeamSpeak, plays League of Legends, and use Skype with people from all over the world. My little sister has seen me doing video chats over Skype, and even karaoke as of a few days ago. (don't ask..)
Just yesterday, my mom took me shopping and told me to get some "gaming snacks". She knows how much I play, that I forum, and I've even told her that I recently hit 4k posts and placed within the MCGamer Awards (Or rather, I jumped around the house in excitement. XD)
Sometimes we used to have 4-hour long drives almost every week, and often they were late at night. In order to keep her awake while driving, she asked us (her kids) to talk about various stuff, so I talked about Minecraft most of the times. I've mentioned drama on MCSG, Dave, Col, HalfSquirrel, RC, and a ton of other people. She also knew and was relatively supportive of me when I was involved with clans, and sometimes made exceptions for me when I had clan battles. (Although I never asked her to, because I don't want to inconvenience her, but eventually she noticed that I was upset because I couldn't battle on Saturdays like pretty much everyone else because of church, and finally let me stay home once in a while)

Toast3r_

Survivor
Reaction score
Well, my parents didn't know that I talk to online friends in the summer , but I had to do it when they went around because they can here everything! I have an apartment so its one floor and I don't get internet in my room so they could hear me! Then they started to find out around august and talked to them and eventually I convinced them that some of my best friends are online ( Marchello_ Trudairy ) and that it is not easy for me to make friends IRL and they said alrighty.

Redwash11

Platinum
Reaction score
I don't think my parents know what online is. They would probably think I was on a telephone line ;P

Redwash11

Platinum
Reaction score
My mom knows very clearly what I do. She knows I go on TeamSpeak, plays League of Legends, and use Skype with people from all over the world. My little sister has seen me doing video chats over Skype, and even karaoke as of a few days ago. (don't ask..)
Just yesterday, my mom took me shopping and told me to get some "gaming snacks". She knows how much I play, that I forum, and I've even told her that I recently hit 4k posts and placed within the MCGamer Awards (Or rather, I jumped around the house in excitement. XD)
Sometimes we used to have 4-hour long drives almost every week, and often they were late at night. In order to keep her awake while driving, she asked us (her kids) to talk about various stuff, so I talked about Minecraft most of the times. I've mentioned drama on MCSG, Dave, Col, HalfSquirrel, RC, and a ton of other people. She also knew and was relatively supportive of me when I was involved with clans, and sometimes made exceptions for me when I had clan battles. (Although I never asked her to, because I don't want to inconvenience her, but eventually she noticed that I was upset because I couldn't battle on Saturdays like pretty much everyone else because of church, and finally let me stay home once in a while)
Your mom sounds great :eek:

ChrisComedies

Diamond
Reaction score
My parents know just about everything I do online. They know I have tons of friends I regularly play with. They know people who dislike me have DDoSed me before. They know that Ive told people what state I live in. Ive even told them about my plans this summer to meet up with some of my closer online friends and are completely fine with it. Apzy TootieFruitie and ShotCakes at the mall pls. In general they trust me to stay out of trouble and stay safe online.
Edit: In other words they dont think everyone online are 40 year old men with handlebar mustaches wearing trench coats in dark alleys with malicious smiles.

J

Joel/MadDawg

My situation with my parents is... interesting. They know that I play minecraft and think it's kinda educational. However, my parents are violence-freaks (I could only watch pg-13 movies after I turned 13 and I'm not allowed to pay M rated games or any shooters), so when they heard I played "hunger games" in Minecraft they tensed up. This was back in Summer 2012, and when they learned that I *gasp* killed people in the hunger games they immediately outlawed it. I was pretty devastated because I was having a ton of fun playing on hunger games servers. After a few weeks, I got the nerve to play a sg round again. Eventually I figured out that I could play mcsg right in front of my parent's faces without them knowing because they had no clue what minecraft was supposed to look like. So yeah, I've played on hunger games servers for close to two years now even though I''m not allowed to :p.

As for friends, my parents know the names of some of the people I talk to and think it's cool that I play with people all around the world. But I'm definitely not open about what I do and they have no clue that I participate in stuff like these forums.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci