• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

First Person Spectating! (FPSpeccing)

What do you think of my idea?

• Just what MCSG needs! (5/5)

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I think it's a really good idea! (4/5)

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • It's alright. (3/5)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I'm not too sure that this would go well. (2/5)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • REALLY bad idea, bro. (1/5)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ok... WHY DID YOU EVEN WASTE YOUR LIFE TYPING THIS!? (0/5)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
So. I've tried to record some people which I suspect are hackers recently, but I just can't get good footage. I'm always not getting the best angle, and it's hard to tell what's going on when the video's been uploaded. I look away for a brief second and BAM! There goes the footage I needed.

It's just too hard to be constantly moving to get the best shot, and you're always having to re-teleport to the player your watching if you lose them. Please don't call me lazy, but sometimes you only get one shot, and you can easily screw it up. I think it would be a lot easier if someone implemented/coded a first person spectator plugin.

How it works:
You would type a command in, and the server would teleport you to the player you specified. The server would snap your view to the player's front-face and look outwards (so it would be basically like you're a clone of them, copying their every move). Any movements you would try to make would instantly teleport you back to the first person spectate position, unless you told the server to stop FPSpeccing. (Cool name, huh?) If the player died you would be able to start flying around again.

To fix the event where you can't see what the other player is holding (because your own hand is blocking the way), you could have the server put whatever was in the players hand into your own. Or, an even better alternative would be to (somehow?) remove your hand from the image (without using 'F1') so you could see when the player you were watching is swinging/pulling back their bow, similar to how when someone places a boat your hand goes off to the left, only thing is this would happen to the point where it was off the screen.

Pros:
  • Easier to see aimbotters and forcefield hackers.
  • Easier to keep up with someone.
  • Easier to tell if someone is using ESP.
  • Easier to see people who are using BSM (without the need to turn particles on or off).
  • Easier to understand what's happening in a recording.
  • A way to catch even the slyest of hackers.
  • For staff, this would be a completely invisible way to watch someone.
  • NEW! A way to watch your friends and help them get chests, or out of puzzles. Just a way to help them from their point of view.

Cons:
  • Difficult to code. (?)
  • Long commands (Not that long, would be easy to make shortened versions of).
  • The possibility of having arrows always being deflected if the player isn't put into the right position. (If the server put you in the right position, I don't see this being a problem. Removing the player as an entity might work, I honestly don't know.)
  • Lag from all the commands (Possibly)? Arisen by Blockerville | Could be solved with some alternate ways of programming the plugin.

Commands (and action performed):
  • /firstpersonspectate [Player Name]: Initiates FPSpec on the player you're intending to spectate. Would change to another player if you were already spectating someone else. Could be also shortened to '/fpspec' or even '/fps'.
  • /stopfirstpersonspectate: Would let you loose to fly around and/or do whatever the hell you wanted again! Could be also shortened to '/sfpspec' or '/stopfpspec' or even '/sfps'.
  • /liveinvfpsec: Restricted: Would give you the ability to see the live inventory of the player you were spectating. Would also put on what the player is wearing, so to see it you could 'F5' or open your inventory. To prevent abuse, this would be restricted to staff. Could be also shortened to '/linvfpspec' or even '/lifps'.
  • /healthfpspec: Restricted: Would give you the ability to see the health of the player you were watching. To prevent abuse (by giving the ability to see whether someone was almost dead and tell their teammate), this would be restricted also. Could be also shortened to '/hfpspec' or even /hfps'.
I've thought about this for quite some time. I hope you agree that this is a good idea. Any extra ideas, complements, constructive criticism, or modification suggestions would be kindly appreciated below. (Don't worry, you'll get the credit for any extra ideas!) Also, please vote on the poll!

Thanks for reading,
GamerChappy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: To those saying that it's impossible/extremely difficult to code, I've seen two versions developed for Bukkit:

https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/a...layers-are-doing-in-first-person-1-5-1.56880/
and
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/spectate/

Why can't MCSG make their own? Or if they want to, get the source code for the plugin and modify/improve it to their likings?

Last edited:

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
This has been suggested before but I can see why it hasn't been implemented. It's a brilliant idea and other communities already have this feature so it can't be that impossible to code.
However, the devs DO have other priorities, right now probably being updating to full 1.7. It's a good idea but it lacks priority.

Dave | Rev

Platinum
Reaction score
Although it has many pros, it could be abused by teams. Let's say one teammate is dead and they want to spec their killer. They can tell their teammate how many hearts they are on (with the health thing), and also the inventory spec becuase people could EASILY abuse it.

Other then that, it seems like an alright idea, but maybe not see their GUI?

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
Although it has many pros, it could be abused by teams. Let's say one teammate is dead and they want to spec their killer. They can tell their teammate how many hearts they are on (with the health thing), and also the inventory spec becuase people could EASILY abuse it.

Other then that, it seems like an alright idea, but maybe not see their GUI?
I highlighted that the two commands to see inventory and health would be restricted to staff to prevent abuse. ;)

This has been suggested before but I can see why it hasn't been implemented. It's a brilliant idea and other communities already have this feature so it can't be that impossible to code.
However, the devs DO have other priorities, right now probably being updating to full 1.7. It's a good idea but it lacks priority.
I actually searched around to see if there was already a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

Dave | Rev

Platinum
Reaction score
I highlighted that the two commands to see inventory and health would be restricted to staff to prevent abuse. ;)

I actually searched around to see if there was already a thread on this but I couldn't find one.
O, I saw the restricted bit, but I didn't know what it would be restricted to xP

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
If it's possible to implement without tons of hours of work: YES!
If it's either impossible or would take up too much time: No :c

I really like this idea, as it would be a good way to tell if someone is hacking, and it'll also provide a different way to spectate, which can get boring when you're flying overhead. Although some things that you wouldn't be able to do is tell if they're using ChestFinder or something, as it's only in their client, and the server doesn't know they're using it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci