• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Demonsushi's guide to better Flint and Steel

E

Ephiza

Hello there everyone!

Flint and Steel (FnS for short) is one of the most useful tools on the MCSG Survival Games servers, and if used correctly, can be the most deadly. When a player right-clicks a block with Flint and Steel, it places one block of fire. This fire does 7 ticks of 1/2 a heart damage, or 3 1/2 hearts. You may read elsewhere that it does 4 hearts of damage, but that extra 1/2 a heart is regenerated instantly after the fire affect goes away. Quoted from the Minecraft Wiki: "when right-clicked to place fire, a point of durability is drained whether or not the surface it is used on is correct for the placement of fire. However, as it is not a block-breaking tool, it can be used without damage to break blocks using left-click."

Flint and Steel can also be used to get rid of useless items, or items you do not need, but could be very helpful to other players. If a user wants to get rid of said items, simply place a block of Flint and Steel and drop the items (conventionally "Q") into the fire and Bada-Bing Bada-Boom, there gone! Be mindful however, each Flint and Steel has only 4 charges on MCSG, or placements, of fire before it runs out, and you may want to conserve this precious item for PvP! To avoid this, shift and right click a chest! It uses 1/64 charge instead of 1/4!

Crafting

Crafting an FnS is very simple and requires only two items: iron and flint. Simply place the two items in any configuration on a crafting table and you have yourself an FnS. What's better? You do not even need to find and use a crafting table, one simply needs to use the 2x2 crafting box when you open your Inventory [E]!

For the visual learners:

Ingredients

Outcome

Special Blocks
Some blocks cannot have fire placed on them. Keep this in mind while trying to light up a block: it will use a charge but no fire will appear. This is different than invisible fire (I'll get into that later) it takes a charge and no fire affect is placed. These blocks include but are not limited to: half slabs, stair blocks, fenceposts, blocks under water (duh :p) etc. Be mindful while playing on maps with Snowy Biomes. Pointed out by Nephilim, Flint and Steel cannot be placed on ice. However, on packed snow it can be placed. If the snow has a small layer on the top, like a half slab, then it cannot be placed. I know I missed some, please tell me what they are!
The Ten Main Flint and Steel Techniques

Please check out the video on the bottom for those visual guys!

The Ten Major techniques for Flint and Steel are:

1. Basic Placement
This technique is very simple, and will only catch the most inexperienced players of guard. This however, is the most basic of all techniques, and therefor the easiest to learn. To use this technique, simply hold your FnS and right click on a block.

2. Flint and Steel Spam
This technique is the second simplest, and also one of the most affective. A player simply needs to hold their flint and steel, hold down right click, and place every single block of fire. Note however, if you do not catch your opponent on fire, the Flint and Steel is gone and its valuable powers lost. Also, this is by far the most annoying technique to the even the most experienced players, as it can be unpredictable and unavoidable.

3. The Attacking Switch
This technique is the most offensive out of the seven. It is able to give its user a tactical advantage before a sword fight has begun, as an opponent on fire takes the extra flame damage as well as the sword. This technique is difficult to use and harder to master. To attempt this strategy, press your hotkey that the flint and steel is in, right click, and press the hotkey to go back to your weapon slot. Players like Huahwi have said using the '1' and '2' keys are the simplest, as they are closer together and therefor require only muscle memory to press. I recommend keeping sword and flint and steel in those slots. You can scroll, but I feel it is much more difficult. Sorry scrollers ;)

4. 180 and 360 Flint and Steels
This technique is mainly used as a defensive tactic, to catch a player chasing the user on fire. This is normally used in a 4-7 block range, any longer and the player will see the fire and avoid it. This technique can use the skill from "The attacking switch" but a user can also just hold out the FnS, and preform the technique. To do it: Hold the flint and steel, turn 180 degrees, place the block and either turn back or complete the rotation. Keep in mind, while speed is not necessary, keep in mind that too slow a turn and the opponent will see it coming, and too fast and you may miss your target!

5. The Underbelly
I do not recommend using this technique: it is risky and requires a fair amount of practice. It is not as practical as the 180 or 360 turns, for with this technique you run the risk of setting yourself on fire. As it is a defensive technique, that can be suicidal, letting your opponent catch you and slay you. However, if you choose to use it anyway, here is how: First jump in the air, then use skill 1 or 3, place the block directly under you. If you do it correctly, you will not be set on fire. If you do it incorrectly, you will set yourself on fire. It is risky.

6. The Unexpected Turn
this is the only technique I have never used successfully while fighting. In fact Gravey4rd is the only user I have seen do it effectively, so I leave the tutorial solely up to his video. However, according to darkai202 it was invented by gcb99 and populirised by NoahSailer. Keep in mind while placing the block, a user can use skill 1 or 3. You can also see this technique is Sean's tutorial.Here is the video
(Skip to 8th minute, he also uses skill 3, the turn is used at the 8:43 mark):

7. Invisible Fire

This technique may be the most controversial or annoying one for many players. It does not require any quick hot keying skills or well timed placement but instead tactical placements. Certain maps (Moonbase 9, Demon’s Breeze) are optimal for this, as there are many blocks it can be placed on. “Invis” fire can be placed on glowstone, glass, iron bars and chests. Keep in mind that glowstone and glass take a charge of fire, while iron bars and chests do not. To place on the latter pair, the user must also hold their crouch key [shift]. I recommend watching YouTubers such as croe97 for this. I am choosing not to give links to videos as a lot of players hate this technique.

8. The Fishing Rod Flint and Steel

Gifted by Sean. In his video, It is hard to see it as he cut out a bit by mistake. Basically, what you do in light and FnS behind them and fishing rod them back into it. This is only really recommended for those Flint and Steel users who know good rod technique as well, if you miss the rod, the technique does not work and you will gift a few hits to your opponent.

9. The Cutoff

Gifted by Sean. This one is very useful, especially in death-match or when you can cut them off. Basically you run on the inside of their path and when you are close enough you light the fire in front of them. This stuns them, not only do they talk damage, but you also have cut them off and your sword is ready to finish them off. This technique is super effective for chasing opponents in deathmatches.

10. The Bow/ Eating Technique

Gifted by Sean. This one is pretty simple but you have to hotkey for it. While you have the bow pulled/ eating your food you switch to the slot in which your FnS is located and keep hold of your right mouse button and it placed a FnS in front of you. Be mindful you may waste and extra charge, and it will look suspicious, eating into the ground. However, it has a high chance of lightning your opponent on fire.

Now for the video for techniques 1-5:

The Video for techniques 8-10:

That’s all for now! If you have any other techniques I should add, feel free to tell me, or any links that could help other users!

Big thanks to Sean for helping with this!

Thank you!
The bow/eating technique that you call. It's called the Unexpected Fire and NoahSailer came up with it first...

Mint_Sibs

District 13
Reaction score
The bow/eating technique that you call. It's called the Unexpected Fire and NoahSailer came up with it first...
Actually unexpected fire is when you run for a really long time and place fire infront of you
Underbelly? Wtf rivals were the first people to use that ConnorW and Munish06854 munishisawesome made that....
Rival fire kid that's what we used to call it
will change... please don't call me kid.
Sorry habit, also add sportsfan2565 cf918 zlim95 BulletJC Cooldarkraidude Justice dog and bcuzimbored

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci