• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What makes a username good?

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience, originality is the only thing that matters. Screennames are usually peoples' first impressions of you, so no one is going to think you're very unique if your name is derivative and uninspired. Avoid using character names, person names, or titles of any works.

Other than that, there is no secret formula where a good username = success. So just go with whatever original name you want to be, since nothing else really matters.

Truthfully, the value of your username will not determine how popular, notable, or successful you are. But I've found that that the reverse is true: how popular, notable, or successful you are will determine how people accept your username.
For an example involving community-naming, "Taco and Banana" sounds like a long-winded and ridiculous name of a community; upon first impression, you'd think it would be some tent-pole network set up by 10 year olds who just discovered the humor of anatomy euphemisms. But after several successful years in the Garrysmod RP scene, whereupon TnB became one of the dominant RP networks in the market, the name "Taco and Banana" became a household name that people intuitively accepted. So their name might be kind of dumb, but it is respected because the community is respected.

Rick Astley

Career
Reaction score
My name will be Foxfade in 12 days, nice and original and I liek foxes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci