• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What do you consider 'pinger' or 'pingplayer'?

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Time for another rant... And this time it won't be one-sided.

To start off, I agree that the term "ping abuser" is ridiculous, as the meaning of "abuse" is: Doing something for bad purpose, or the act of doing something wrong. Playing the game with a better setup constitutes neither. Ping is just another factor in the game, and it does not make or break a player. Other factors that affect a player's ability to win could include upload speed, fps, type of keyboard, type of mouse, monitor refresh rate, monitor size, texture pack, clicking speed, intelligence, experience, raw natural talent, memory, ability to be unaffected physically by difficult circumstances, physical hand size and strength, as well as factors that affect a player's current mental state such as mood or attitude.

However, if a player severely lacks in any one of these factors, they will be unable to win many games. For example, if a player has the worst long term memory ever, then they will be unable to form chest routes and develop tactics. If someone is eight years old, then they are simply too young to understand the game on a higher level. If someone has 1,000 ping, then they will be at a constant one second delay, essentially making it so that the other player gets to literally see into the future one second.

I think people just complain about ping a lot because of the bandwagon effect, and the fact that there is a handy /ping command. Ping is an easy thing to blame things on when you're having a bad day. When you look at the facts, the difference between 40 ping and 100 ping is 0.06 seconds, which is a ridiculously small amount of time. Of course, when that amount of time is multiplied because of the fact that your current frames, (affected by fps) click, (affected by clicking speed) and the other player all have to match up for a hit to successfully register, the issue becomes greater. Thus, ping has a superlinear affect on one's PvP based on other factors. If you could plot the top 100 measurable, basic factors upon a multidimensional graph with respect to a player's likelihood of a winning games long term, then ping would probably be one of the factors with the greatest degree, as internet connection and fps are the only factors that affect time. The inability for a player to perceive time accurately not only directly inhibits them during important situations, it slows learning and growth, which is a point that few players recognize.

Ping is still a minor factor, but it is worth noting that it has a superlinear effect upon every other aspect of gameplay.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I consider myself as a ping player in battle grounds because of 35 ping. I get quad hits and win the game. But in sg i sadly don't because i get back stabbed my route is taken blah blah blah

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
Actually, 40ms is like the average ping to EU servers, on US, and AU it's higher (estimating) at 95ms and 70ms, respectively.
This, ladies and gentlemen.
i personnaly think thats pinging because of the fact i get 100ms and still get called a ping abuser
People are just finding an explanation for their dieing, so they won't look bad.
But I guess, compared to you I am a pinger but I can't do anything about it.
Time for another rant... And this time it won't be one-sided.

To start off, I agree that the term "ping abuser" is ridiculous, as the meaning of "abuse" is: Doing something for bad purpose, or the act of doing something wrong. Playing the game with a better setup constitutes neither. Ping is just another factor in the game, and it does not make or break a player. Other factors that affect a player's ability to win could include upload speed, fps, type of keyboard, type of mouse, monitor refresh rate, monitor size, texture pack, clicking speed, intelligence, experience, raw natural talent, memory, ability to be unaffected physically by difficult circumstances, physical hand size and strength, as well as factors that affect a player's current mental state such as mood or attitude.

However, if a player severely lacks in any one of these factors, they will be unable to win many games. For example, if a player has the worst long term memory ever, then they will be unable to form chest routes and develop tactics. If someone is eight years old, then they are simply too young to understand the game on a higher level. If someone has 1,000 ping, then they will be at a constant one second delay, essentially making it so that the other player gets to literally see into the future one second.

I think people just complain about ping a lot because of the bandwagon effect, and the fact that there is a handy /ping command. Ping is an easy thing to blame things on when you're having a bad day. When you look at the facts, the difference between 40 ping and 100 ping is 0.06 seconds, which is a ridiculously small amount of time. Of course, when that amount of time is multiplied because of the fact that your current frames, (affected by fps) click, (affected by clicking speed) and the other player all have to match up for a hit to successfully register, the issue becomes greater. Thus, ping has a superlinear affect on one's PvP based on other factors. If you could plot the top 100 measurable, basic factors upon a multidimensional graph with respect to a player's likelihood of a winning games long term, then ping would probably be one of the factors with the greatest degree, as internet connection and fps are the only factors that affect time. The inability for a player to perceive time accurately not only directly inhibits them during important situations, it slows learning and growth, which is a point that few players recognize.

Ping is still a minor factor, but it is worth noting that it has a superlinear effect upon every other aspect of gameplay.
Yes boys
There is no such thing as a 'ping player'. That phrase annoys me to no end. I mean really, as soon as anyone dies to someone else in a fair fight, they need an excuse. Was it 'bowspam'? No. Was it 'hacks'? No. So it was ping. ACCEPT A LOSS PEOPLE.

Due to me moving house a few times (sort of) I've played on a ton of different strengths of connection to EU. I've played on:
9 ping, 20 ping, 40 ping, 60 ping, and 120 ping. Does ping make a difference? Of course it does. There is no doubt that 9 ping is way better than 120. But when people who get 40 ping try to call people who get 30 ping 'ping abusers', it annoys me so much. Think about it for a second... the difference between the two is 0.01 seconds, and even in tight situations that is barely anything. You got 9-hearted because your opponent was better, not because he had some miniscule time advantage over you. Another thing: What is ping abuse? This has been asked so many times and no one has ever been able to come up with a decent answer.

What annoys me the most, though, is when people call others 'nothing but ping'. Seriously, if someone beats you and they have slightly better ping than you, they are almost certainly better than you. Even if they were playing with 40 more ping they would almost certainly still beat you. Just because your ego is bruised because you lost a game and it's made you look bad doesn't mean you didn't get beaten by someone better than you.

The whole ping thing pretty much boils down to the fact that cocky people need to face up to the fact that they aren't the best player in the world.

/rant
Lol this is true too

I'm seriously going to link this thread to anyone that calls me a pinger xD

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I consider "ping players" those who I can easily tell that have no skill, but manage to beat me solely because of their OP ping.
Usually under 30 pins is where it gets pretty OP compared to my average 120.

Not all people with great ping are ping abusers, though. Lots are great PvP'ers, so you gotta make sure and watch their strats before calling them a ping player. (not that you should at all, just shrug it off :p)
LOL This isn't even a thing, after almost every game I get called a ping abuser. I get 110-120ms to mcsg...

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ping would entirely depend on your connection, and the fact that some people who would have good ping get criticized for it is just unfair. Of course people will have different ping, and of course people will have a good ping, it happens and is usually something that cannot be controlled unless it is DoSed. People don't deserve to be criticized for something they just have and is beyond their control, and the community is vast, so there will be a variety of players with different ping, they shouldn't be criticized for it...

BACONSTRIPZzUK

Platinum
Reaction score
I sometimes get 5 ping but it's usually around 10 and idc what people think, I'm not downgrading my internet because people can't take it xD :)

Reactions: Wyz

Lastman

Spectator
Reaction score
I usually get a ping of 90 to the Australian server which I think is about average. I always though a "ping player" was somebody with a really bad ping though,so much so that they lag all around the place. This topic cleared up a lot for me. xD

Reactions: Wyz

kingusa12

Quantum
Reaction score
Yeah people use it as a legitimate excuse. I was in a game once and got a rod combo on some randy and he called me a ping player. I get 300 ping...

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
You can't abuse your ping. People who complain about that and accuse you of abusing something you have no control over are very, extremely annoying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci