• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Using Gay As An Insult.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
PM me it :3
And why is it called the 21st century >_<
It's 2014 not 2114 :p
It's based off of when Jesus, from the Christian religion, was born. Time before his birth is marked as (Number) BC (Before Christ), and time after his death is marked as (Number) AD (After Death). Or at least, that's how it's often interpreted.
The century system starts at his birth, but our year count starts at his death. He lived for some 30 years. However, people decided to just set the century system to start at 100 years before his death, so for example, the year 1950 would be in the 20th century.

Edit: I forgot to actually write about the thread topic, so here you go:

Gay. Homosexual. They're supposed to be synonymous, right?
Well, supposed to be. But are they really? Not all of the time. Gay used be a synonym for "happy" in the past, and in the present it's also used as a derogatory term or insult in less formal situations.
Depending on the situation/context, it could be synonymous for homosexual, or happy, or used as an insult. It depends on how it's perceived.

But right now, we're focusing on the usage of the word as an insult, and why it's wrong.
By using "gay" as an insult, you're implying that being homosexual is something to be ashamed of. But do you see homosexual who are ashamed of their sexuality? Not really, no. Maybe reserved about it or unsteady, but they don't change who they are just because other people disagree with it.
For example, there are some people on the MCSG forums who came out as homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, or some other -sexual that I haven't even heard of before. Yes, they get made fun of a little bit here and there, but most people that you see commenting are being supportive and kind.
Having a different sexual preferences is really not something to be ashamed of, hide, or lie about. If one of your friends makes fun of you for it, are they really a true "friend"? I say no, and hopefully other people agree. A real friend wouldn't make fun of you for who you are. They should either accept it, or leave you alone. But to pursue and insult someone over it is just... low.
With that said, using gay as an insult really shouldn't be, well, insulting. Depending on which definition of the word, the person using it as an insult is saying that the other person is either happy or attracted to the same gender. However, the way we perceive it is that it's an insult and/or derogatory. Why?
It's become an insult. The F-word is supposed to mean having intimate relationships, and the S-word is supposed to mean feces, but the connotation has changed. (is that the word? connotation?) Nowadays saying the F-word to someone implies that you want them to be raped, and the S-word means something equally offensive, depending on how they're used.

xD The last paragraph reminds me of something from Fifty Shades of Grey.

Last edited:

EzSp

Career
Reaction score
  1. My voice (my voice isn't as high in real life)
  2. I say some boys are good lucking.
Firstly, no.1 is probably false, but I won't judge you on that. Since it isn't within your control when your voice changes. Regarding no.2, it's about how you word it, if you don't want people to insult you, just say "I can see why people would find them attractive". I often say that men are attractive, I don't mind what people say about it because I'm comfortable with my sexuality (which is straight, by the way). Just ignore people, let people say what they want. Rise above it.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
It's the 21st century because 20 centuries have passed from 0-2000 and therefor we are in the middle of the 21st. 2114 would be 22nd century because 21 centuries would have been completed and it would be in the 22nd.
wat
srsly?
dang

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
First of all, please don't double post.
Second of all, this new term is used to slightly insult someone, but it can hurt a lot of people. Just don't say it....
Third of all, pm me! :)
Sorry, don't do it often, not a biggy though, Will pm you :p
If you feel harassed ask them to stop. If the harassment continues —and it is made within the MCGamer Network— you're free to report them.
Normally outside of it, but I always do.
Why Do You have To Name The Title Like This?
Makes it look more proffesional, Problem?

MCGamerzism

Platinum
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not gay
Quite pathetic and harsh. He clearly said he finds it insulting.. And you go and call it him...
Guuuyys leave it :p
Firstly, no.1 is probably false, but I won't judge you on that. Since it isn't within your control when your voice changes. Regarding no.2, it's about how you word it, if you don't want people to insult you, just say "I can see why people would find them attractive". I often say that men are attractive, I don't mind what people say about it because I'm comfortable with my sexuality (which is straight, by the way). Just ignore people, let people say what they want. Rise above it.
Yeah, I think its perfectly normal to compliment same gender regarding apperance. Some people just have sick minds i guess :/
It's based off of when Jesus, from the Christian religion, was born. Time before his birth is marked as (Number) BC (Before Christ), and time after his death is marked as (Number) AD (After Death). Or at least, that's how it's often interpreted.
The century system starts at his birth, but our year count starts at his death. He lived for some 30 years. However, people decided to just set the century system to start at 100 years before his death, so for example, the year 1950 would be in the 20th century.

Edit: I forgot to actually write about the thread topic, so here you go:

Gay. Homosexual. They're supposed to be synonymous, right?
Well, supposed to be. But are they really? Not all of the time. Gay used be a synonym for "happy" in the past, and in the present it's also used as a derogatory term or insult in less formal situations.
Depending on the situation/context, it could be synonymous for homosexual, or happy, or used as an insult. It depends on how it's perceived.

But right now, we're focusing on the usage of the word as an insult, and why it's wrong.
By using "gay" as an insult, you're implying that being homosexual is something to be ashamed of. But do you see homosexual who are ashamed of their sexuality? Not really, no. Maybe reserved about it or unsteady, but they don't change who they are just because other people disagree with it.
For example, there are some people on the MCSG forums who came out as homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, or some other -sexual that I haven't even heard of before. Yes, they get made fun of a little bit here and there, but most people that you see commenting are being supportive and kind.
Having a different sexual preferences is really not something to be ashamed of, hide, or lie about. If one of your friends makes fun of you for it, are they really a true "friend"? I say no, and hopefully other people agree. A real friend wouldn't make fun of you for who you are. They should either accept it, or leave you alone. But to pursue and insult someone over it is just... low.
With that said, using gay as an insult really shouldn't be, well, insulting. Depending on which definition of the word, the person using it as an insult is saying that the other person is either happy or attracted to the same gender. However, the way we perceive it is that it's an insult and/or derogatory. Why?
It's become an insult. The F-word is supposed to mean having intimate relationships, and the S-word is supposed to mean feces, but the connotation has changed. (is that the word? connotation?) Nowadays saying the F-word to someone implies that you want them to be raped, and the S-word means something equally offensive, depending on how they're used.

xD The last paragraph reminds me of something from Fifty Shades of Grey.
When do you find time to actually write all this...I have nothing to say you answered everything :p

EDIT: Sorry for double post but Wanna reply to messages before I go to hibernate.

QualiaV2

Experienced
Reaction score
Quite pathetic and harsh. He clearly said he finds it insulting.. And you go and call it him...
I beg to differ. It was clearly a joking reply to his, also joking, suggestion. Harsh? In what world was that harsh? I wasn't speaking so as to insult him.

Miko_

Diamond
Reaction score
That was a joke, not a insult.

It's one of these threads that was bound to be created one day. As you may or may not know gay/lesbian people were not nearly as tolerated in the past. Don't quote me on this one, but I believe gays/lesbians have been hung in the past. The bible also doesn't support this, therefore, it turned into an insult. It is only recently that this has changed, but people cannot get used to change. They simply don't want to as they believe it's wrong. There has been a lot of change revolving these matters in the past century. Give people time, it's just like the issue with woman rights last century. People eventually accepted it, because they realised they had no influence on them.

Give it time. Things will change, whether people like it or not.

Xystz

Quantum
Reaction score

Yeah, I think its perfectly normal to compliment same gender regarding apperance. Some people just have sick minds i guess :/

When do you find time to actually write all this...I have nothing to say you answered everything :p

EDIT: Sorry for double post but Wanna reply to messages before I go to hibernate.
You said you aren't gay which I believe, but there really isn't anything wrong with being gay. If you never told someone you were gay, you'd be treated normally, but as soon as you tell them that you're gay, they might act a bit different around you. I don't personally know anyone who's gay, but I wouldn't really care if someone was gay. Also if something doesn't affect you, then why should you care?

Mango

Mega Nonce.
Reaction score

Please don't do it again as you've already been told.
In addition to this, lets make sure any flame wars or excessive arguments doesn't occur here. I'll keep a watch out. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci