• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The God Debate

What is your religion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoostMeGaming

Diamond
Reaction score
My mind is really confusing... I believe in Jesus, but not in god. :l (either an atheist or a Christian..)

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
I am Christian. I was raised in a Christian home, and though we've never been overly religious (extra bible classes, etc.), we still go to church almost every weekend as well as Sunday School.

I do firmly believe in god, and I do believe in everything that the bible teaches.

While I do have firm beliefs, I've never really been the one to publicly display them, or to think any differently of people who don't have the same religious views. I often think over what other people have to say, and reply to myself, rather than publicly. I've always felt like the way to spread your belief is never in a "believe this!" kind of way, but rather in a gradual manner, which you can't really properly do in a public setting.

I've also never been super public with my beliefs, and I don't think I've ever really brought them up online besides right now. I've always felt like my religion isn't something people need to know about me, but also just because I'm not into having the type of hostile one-sided arguments that often come from people who seek out religious people just to argue (same goes for religious people who seek out non-religious people for the same reason).

Spreading the word about god is awesome, but I've never really felt like the internet was the place to do so, especially because so many overly aggressive people of the same faith have hardened people's minds even more, and the overly aggressive people that will do their best to harden mine, without listening to a word I say, which is probably what they think of me too :p

I think there's a time and place for everything, and that trying to share your religion with someone should be done when you are close with them, and can do so in a private setting, instead of making a spectacle.

That was kind of off-topic, but in the end, I'm Christian :p

Reaction score
i believe there has to be something out there, personally i have no idea but i choose to believe there is a god. i cant see how a few bangs here and there ended up with us being able to speak, write and everything else we can do, also why arent the fish growing legs now? thats what i think anyway

Ewai

Platinum
Reaction score
My mind is really confusing... I believe in Jesus, but not in god. :l (either an atheist or a Christian..)
You are a Christian Atheist, just like me. I also believe in Jesus, but not God. It just seems unreal to me that God exists.

When I was younger I would always be afraid of going to sleep, because I thought I would wake up in hell, for the reason being that I don't believe in God. I tried to force myself to believe in God, but I just couldn't.

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I have been raised a catholic and I have/am attend(ing) a private catholic school. When I was younger, I could not possibly believe in God. To comprehend that there was someone bigger and more powerful than everyone on the planet was not possible. I believed that there was something out there, but I did not want to believe. I would have panic attacks thinking about it. It made be scared and I did not feel the need to believe in a God. Though, as I matured I realised the importance of having a belief and I started to strengthen my beliefs. Having a belief allows me to get through hard times and bounce back. It also gives me a great sense of importance. I am not a extremely religious person still, but I do believe in the spirit/figure known as God.

Ikanacanyon7

District 13
Reaction score
Was raised in a not-so-strict Catholic family. We didn't attend church often at all, maybe once every year or three. Though my parents did make me get confirmed in my early teens. I remember never strongly believing or even thinking about God, even in my earlier double digit years. I didn't pray, even when my parents and sister did; so I really just rarely thought about God very deeply because it was never truly forced upon me. It wasn't until I was 16 or 17 that I became a firmly logical thinker, focusing on sciences and the likes. I spent nights researching everything there was to know about evolution, natural selection, known life on earth appearing hundreds of millions of years ago, extinction events, and everything out there about space and the math involved around it. Secretly I was hardcore geeking out, because not even my real life friends to this day know that I'm a knowledge freak when it comes to this stuff.

Anyways, around that time of 17, I decided that I didn't think there could be a god. This was actually the first time that I decided to read the entire Bible. Reading it with the mindset that none of it is true, is actually very interesting. It gave me a whole new outlook on the Bible and why I think that and other religion based texts were truly amazing, inspiring (I love quite a few quotes used in the bible), and actually very much needed for the advancement of early humans. Now, my next statement is going to be intensely debate worthy, and I refuse to argue about religious beliefs, so I'd rather no one argue against mine out of respect that we all have opinions: I think for humans to actually advance to the next stage needed so our worlds don't absolutely crash and burn, we need to put away all religions. This would absolutely have to happen if long term space travel and space migration were to take affect and work out successfully. With the majority of the world not united, and even some places still going to war with each other over who the real creator of humans is, it will make it impossible for one eventual governing power to form for the greater good of our species. At the rate we are going in, humans will either die out due to overpopulation, the proposed World War 3, or an unexpected killer space event (e.g. a black hole). The sooner we can advance our technology and unite together to start migrating to other earth-like and habitable planets, the better.

I'm leaving out a lot of details and opinions so I don't get hate up the wazoo. But this is just my opinion. I also think that the ancient astronaut theory is true, to some extent. So, overall, I'm Atheist.
Very interesting.

Not saying you had this exact mindset when reading the Bible but, Id like to point out that lots of people, both atherists and religious people, often make the mistake to think the Bible is literal, and that all that is written there is stated to have actually happened. The Bible is 99% sybolic, and most things in it are trying to say something between the lines, it makes me cringe when I see religious people that actually go around saying Evolution is not true because we all exist out of a man created with dirt and a breath of God and a woman created from the rib of this man; just as much as it makes me cringe when I have gotten hated on by people on the internet being told that I beleive on talking snake and a tree of winsdom and power.

Id also like to add that, I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree on Religion being left behind to progress. Lots of people NEED religion to give a meaning to their life, even if they are not necesarily sure of what they beleive deep inside, I can admit Im not sure what would have been of me on some earlier years if it wasnt because I was a Christian, theres plenty of things where it really helped to me one, as it has to many others I know. At the same time, religious wars could be used as an argument, but really, thats just because we are humans, it seems to me its in our nature to destroy eachother, wars happen over anything, but WE are the ones that cause them, religions are just chains of ideas and thoughts all put together which they can be beleived on, just like words are innoscent because we give them their meaning, same could be said about religion because we chose what to do with it and because of it.

Finally, I know I said I wasnt comfortable really mentioning my current religious standpoint, but hell, this is the internet, might aswell get it off my back here since its easier...
Ive always was, my whole life, a quite religious person from a very religious family (but not strict though), but as years went by, mostly this past year and a half/two years, Ive become more and more of an Agnostic person, Im still sorting by mind out as its still hard for me to let go of these beliefs that Ive had, and have helped me in plenty of ocasions, for such a long time. Beleive me, its hard when things you beleived on for your whole life start losing balance and start crumbling, I just dont feel them the same way.

GOFORGOLDCROZ

Diamond
Reaction score
The only thing that makes me athiest, and it's been like this since I was young, is the fact that there are so many religions with their own gods. How is it possible, or how do we know, that there's only one god? I mean there's been wars over this topic and it's only logical that there can't be a god if (almost) every religion has a god. Also I'm a science nerd :(

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
I have been raised in a Catholic house, I do believe in God, Jesus and the bible.

I go to a school where we are taught about Christianity. Although I don't agree with it and the fact that it restricts other religions from attending, I really like the school.

I believe in life after death, I seemed to have gotten my mind into soggypickle with thinking about it way too hard, here are my thoughts. When you die, what are you supposed to look at? What do you think? What happens to your vision? You can't look at darkness forever? Just think of all those questions really hard. Of course we don't really know because no one has resurrected from the dead. I just think that after death there is a new life, something to do. That is just my personal thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci