• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Skill Gap

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Today I would like to be talking about the Skill Gap specifically on MCSG. If you don't' know what a Skill Gap is, it is basically the difference of skill between the good players and the beginners. I understand in Melee the skill gap is enormous and to even touch a highly ranked player it takes many hours of training to even touch them.

That being said, by comparing Minecraft to Melee I believe that Minecraft's skill gap is not very large from Beginners to Experts as many new players has a shot at killing a "good" player as long as they can click and aim because Minecraft wasn't built for PvP making the hits inconsistent as compared to a video game that was built for pvp such as Melee.

Another reason why I don't believe that the Skill Gap is very big compared to "Legends" and "Good" players is that as long as a person can use the rod in conjunction with misplacement they automatically become a Highly Skilled player. When I have fought "legends" most of the time they kill me however the fight is always very close at the end. I'd like to call myself a decent player however I'm by no means amazing at MCSG. If a decent player can sometimes kill or bring the "Legends" very low that itself proves that the skill gap isn't so big right?

So what does separate the "Legends" and the "Decent" players of MCSG. I've noticed that the skill level is very close between "Legends" and "Decent" players and what I think what separates these two groups of people is experience. Because of this experience they have developed the ability to in a sense "read' people. This means they are able to predict what the player they are facing will do based on the situation and that is the deciding factor of many of my matches with "Legends."

Etos

Experienced
Reaction score
In my opinion, the "Legends" aren't necessarily better at 1v1 swords only, I think they are better with tactics, like using the fishing rod, and all those kind of tactics, stick 2 people in an arena, flat ground, iron armor, iron sword, and a little bit of food, no matter if it's a "Legend" or a "Beginner" they both have a very large change of winning the battle.

Banter

Survivor
Reaction score
Its not just about "who can use a rod to combo." Strategies like rod crits (by rodding someone and critting them, which counts as 2 crits), are something that are difficult to master. You also have to be able to counter such attacks, with the use of the rod. I would consider myself good at countering and performing rod crits against my opponents. Also, the bow is underestimated a lot. Being able to strafe and bow spam so that nobody can touch you is also very difficult to master and can take months upon months to perfect. Minecraft PvP is not just simply "clicking and holding A or D", that's called potpvp and it sucks. Minecraft PvP is much more than that.

Reactions: 420

Rick Astley

Career
Reaction score
Its not just about "who can use a rod to combo." Strategies like rod crits (by rodding someone and critting them, which counts as 2 crits), are something that are difficult to master. You also have to be able to counter such attacks, with the use of the rod. I would consider myself good at countering and performing rod crits against my opponents. Also, the bow is underestimated a lot. Being able to strafe and bow spam so that nobody can touch you is also very difficult to master and can take months upon months to perfect. Minecraft PvP is not just simply "clicking and holding A or D", that's called potpvp and it sucks. Minecraft PvP is much more than that.
Agreed. But if I may add on to that:
You have to remember, when in Survival Games, it's not ALL about PvP. Tactics and chest routes play a massive part in Survival Games, because if you aren't geared, you can't kill. But also, PvP counts a lot too. Yesterday, I was able to achieve a 4/12 ratio, all I did was abuse the power of the rod and crit and also abuse blockhitting. Finally, remember, if it's a 1v1v1 in DM, always be the one to clean up (unless you far outgear the other two either in skill or armour/weapons)

Banter

Survivor
Reaction score
Agreed. But if I may add on to that:
You have to remember, when in Survival Games, it's not ALL about PvP. Tactics and chest routes play a massive part in Survival Games, because if you aren't geared, you can't kill. But also, PvP counts a lot too. Yesterday, I was able to achieve a 4/12 ratio, all I did was abuse the power of the rod and crit and also abuse blockhitting. Finally, remember, if it's a 1v1v1 in DM, always be the one to clean up (unless you far outgear the other two either in skill or armour/weapons)
Yeah, you should know that I know that though because you've seen my stats :p
Then again, I do have over 5 kills a game on average so I guess I mainly rely on pvp lol

Rick Astley

Career
Reaction score
Yeah, you should know that I know that though because you've seen my stats :p
Then again, I do have over 5 kills a game on average so I guess I mainly rely on pvp lol
I know you know that, I was talking to the guy who made the thread :p
Blockhit OP

K

KiDD

There's not really that much of a skill gap anymore, in my opinion.

New player (doesn't really have any idea what they're doing; not really common anymore in my opinion) -> Average - Decent players (knows what they're doing and can PvP well; very common, definitely the most common) -> Very skilled seasoned players (people who can play very well and are legitimate; I'd say rare)

So yeah I just explained them...so...skills gaps exist, but there's very little variety. There's pretty much one skill level and basically you move and click, and as I said, people who bring it further than that would be very skilled seasoned players, (who are legitimate) which are pretty much rare.

Rick Astley

Career
Reaction score
There's not really that much of a skill gap anymore, in my opinion.

New player (doesn't really have any idea what they're doing; not really common anymore in my opinion) -> Average - Decent players (knows what they're doing and can PvP well; very common, definitely the most common) -> Very skilled seasoned players (people who can play very well and are legitimate; I'd say rare)

So yeah I just explained them...so...skills gaps exist, but there's very little variety. There's pretty much one skill level and basically you move and click, and as I said, people who bring it further than that would be very skilled seasoned players, (who are legitimate) which are pretty much rare.
There is a rare specied lurking on this thread kiddpixel
his name is prospected and he yields a 110/180 c:

Brndy

Platinum
Reaction score
There's actually a pretty large skill gap in this game… small mistakes like overextending or running at the wrong times are usually the defining factor in a close fight

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci