• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Requiem [Complete]

After downloading and looking around, what is your opinion of the map?

• Looks great! I'd recommend it for use on the servers.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Looks promising, but still needs some work.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Not a fan at all.

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
That would be great! Any ideas? If you like we could work iteratively on the map (both download a copy, you add redstone devices, I copy-paste the schematics into the current version and merge the two copies), or you can add it to a server if that is more ideal. Up to you.
Traps, codes and traps, etc. Should I make it any where in particular? Also, how do I make a schematic?

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Traps, codes and traps, etc. Should I make it any where in particular? Also, how do I make a schematic?
If you just give me the world save that works just as well - I can create the schematics and paste them in from that with minimal difficulty.

As for locations, I have a few ideas, but ultimately it's up to you.

The sanctuary is currently unreachable aside from:

This hole in the forest. Perhaps make this a bit more interesting with a combination lock?

In the bone woods you'll find this hideaway.

Some sort of trap around the chest that blows the entire place up?

The solitary room in Restitution is currently opened by a simple lever.

Make the door opened by a lever on the upper level?

Any sort of other traps you'd like to implement (lava piston pits with tripwires) are welcome as well - whatever you think works best.

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
If you just give me the world save that works just as well - I can create the schematics and paste them in from that with minimal difficulty.

As for locations, I have a few ideas, but ultimately it's up to you.

The sanctuary is currently unreachable aside from:

This hole in the forest. Perhaps make this a bit more interesting with a combination lock?

In the bone woods you'll find this hideaway.

Some sort of trap around the chest that blows the entire place up?

The solitary room in Restitution is currently opened by a simple lever.

Make the door opened by a lever on the upper level?

Any sort of other traps you'd like to implement (lava piston pits with tripwires) are welcome as well - whatever you think works best.
Thankyou, I'll do that, TNT is disabled but I have some ideas for that aswell.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Removing the DL for now as this missed the cut for the PMC servers, giving me more time to expand the map and build at a more leisurely pace. Stay tuned!

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Problem: Since I foolishly extracted the map from the original terrain in a spherical shape, the map had limited room for expansion and looked a bit goofy at the edges.

Solution: Make a floating island "shell" and combine it with the original map.

Step 1: Create several hollow glass spheres, starting at the original map dimensions (200 block radius) and continuing until the glass is 5 blocks thick.

Step 2: Replace the glass with stone, whip out voxel sniper, and start extruding a natural landscape.

Step 3: Naturalize the terrain, start planting ludicrous amounts of trees.

Step 4: //replacenear 100 grass,tree,leaves,dirt sand . Repeat as necessary.

Step 5: //replacenear 100 sand stone. Repeat as necessary.

Step 6: Hollow out the interior, //flip up, save as schematic and add to existing map with MCEdit (good luck with the amount of RAM required to do this in-game).

Step 7: Floating Island!

Radius has been expanded to roughly 270 blocks - this new terrain will not contain water, and will involve a bit more terraforming.

As a question for the community - keep the vines are remove them all? I'm on the fence. While I like the way they look, they grow out of control and relying on them for pathways is not the best solution when players can destroy them at will.

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
Problem: Since I foolishly extracted the map from the original terrain in a spherical shape, the map had limited room for expansion and looked a bit goofy at the edges.

Solution: Make a floating island "shell" and combine it with the original map.

Step 1: Create several hollow glass spheres, starting at the original map dimensions (200 block radius) and continuing until the glass is 5 blocks thick.

Step 2: Replace the glass with stone, whip out voxel sniper, and start extruding a natural landscape.

Step 3: Naturalize the terrain, start planting ludicrous amounts of trees.

Step 4: //replacenear 100 grass,tree,leaves,dirt sand . Repeat as necessary.

Step 5: //replacenear 100 sand stone. Repeat as necessary.

Step 6: Hollow out the interior, //flip up, save as schematic and add to existing map with MCEdit (good luck with the amount of RAM required to do this in-game).

Step 7: Floating Island!

Radius has been expanded to roughly 270 blocks - this new terrain will not contain water, and will involve a bit more terraforming.

As a question for the community - keep the vines are remove them all? I'm on the fence. While I like the way they look, they grow out of control and relying on them for pathways is not the best solution when players can destroy them at will.
You could put an invisible block under the vines (34)

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Updates 6/5:

Moved to the "Work in Progress" section as lots of changes are underway.

The outer ring has been terraformed, and new towns/places of interests have been added. Paths have been created on the ground connecting major points of interest. Four corns will be created at the four edges as marked by gold blocks. Additional bridges to the central Relic have been added as well so all four sides will have roughly the same distance to travel to the center. Capturing the entire map in one screenshot now takes about 6 GB of RAM, so may have to swap to Chunky for overview shots in the future.

Completely overhauled the "Reckoning" site. It's a bit more interesting/complex now with a large cavern underneath.

Added a large harbor town on one of the edges, with an expansive boardwalk section attached.

Lots of other tweaks and fixes too numerous to list.

And for fun, evolution of the map:
Stage 1: Lots o' water.

Stage 2: Added outer ring.

Stage 3: Added more land with connecting bridges.

Stage 4: Converted to floating island and extended the outer ring.

Boboaluitz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This map is... amazing. I just want to play on it, like right now.

You, you are a map making god. Thank you for being here.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Thanks guys, much appreciated :) .

Also, I left the poll anonymous to encourage honesty, but if you're going to vote that you don't like it at all please leave a comment explaining why or PM me with recommended changes. Otherwise I'm going to have to assume that the greater internet f-wad theorem is in effect ;) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 for reference). If you're upset that I'm using shaders, the final submission will have a collection of unshaded pictures for comparison.

In summary this map has advanced leaps and bounds thanks to community feedback. I will do my best to incorporate any honest suggestions that you have. So feel free to speak up if you have complaints.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci