• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

"Pro" SG Players

Vox

Career
Reaction score
This is a ranting post.

I have seen a lot of players recently calling themselves "Pro" players. To that I ask you who pays you to play on the MCSG servers. Obviously we have many many skilled players that know how to win hundreds of games. That does not make you a professional. No players are Pro on these servers.

You may be a solid player with many skills and a masterful way of winning. That means you are a good player and a force to be reckoned with and to that I congratulate you. Many players that I have meet are great PvPers and known for there skill across the community. That is great but please do not brag about your skill.

MCSG is a game of luck and skill. Obviously players with even armor can have a different outcome. Players may have a bad fight but most of the time the more skilled player will come out on top. There are too many variables in a fight that can cause a player to lose. PVP is luck, lag and skill sets. Do not call yourself a pro.

Understand that each good player is honestly at about the same level. All good players can beat each other there is no player in the Community that never dies.

Fear can play a factor as well. If you are fighting one of the considered best you are most likely going to tense up and make more mistake. I know I do that.

I made this thread not to create fights but to create a fun discussion on how you feel the game is played and who you think is good. I think all players are skilled in some way or another. You may not be able to beat the best players now. But with practice who knows maybe you become the best we have ever seen.

RathaYatra

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Except for egrodo. On roxbot about 5-6 people attack him at once.all the time. He never dies tho. I watched him own 4 people at once with his fishing rod XD

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
This is sad to know, but technically BajanCandian is Pro, as technically being Pro means that you are paid to do whatever thing you do...
Gahd save us ALL!

Vox

Career
Reaction score
Except for egrodo. On roxbot about 5-6 people attack him at once.all the time. He never dies tho. I watched him own 4 people at once with his fishing rod XD
Egrodo is a skilled player and to be completely honest I highly dought you even know the guy. I have spoken to him before. He is a great player but as I have said there is no best. It annoys me. You obviously didn't even read the whole thread.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Egrodo is a skilled player and to be completely honest I highly dought you even know the guy. I have spoken to him before. He is a great player but as I have said there is no best. It annoys me. You obviously didn't even read the whole thread.
doubt* :p

I agree! There is no best.

RathaYatra

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I read the whole thread. To me he is a very skilled player and I get that there is no best player. Also why do I need to know him? I just know that hes skilled.

nedscott23

Survivor
Reaction score
The term "pro" can be thrown around easily. In a way, I don't really mind that it is. Hypothetically, if I join a lobby and say "Woo, I got my 68th win. I'm so pro". There aren't many people out there that really care. Most people would just disregard the message completely.

I do agree with you on how "good" players are equal and the part about how there are too many variables. I think you can be considered good at SG when you don't fear a player that you've seen is better than you (that's how I see it). For example, I play AS servers. Back when Elisha was around, I use to stand absolutely no chance. I'd get a single hit before he'd destroy me. Now (3-4 Months before Elisha quit) I feel that though I may not win most of the time, I feel as if I don't fear facing him especially. If you never fear a fight. I think that you will generally perform better. A player can have 600 wins yet if he fears a fight with a player of 400. How can the player be considered good?

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
Hmm, I would have to agree that there are no pro players, no one here is paid to play, even the youtubers. While I don't think that there is a best player here, due to regions, lag and other stuff, I would still say that there is an elite tier of players. Yes, indeed MCSG is a game of luck and skill but you can control that luck if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't even call it luck, I would call it percentages, the likelihood of dying while taking a chest route or the likelihood of getting a full set of armour on your chest route. There are a lot of variables in fights, but personally I believe that these variables can be controlled and in turn altered for a tribute's benefit.

Personally I notice that I try harder when I am playing a good player and I tend to ease up against someone of lesser skill.

MaxStormz

Experienced
Reaction score
I agree with everything said, good post Voxcile!

This is also why I disregard win/loss ratio. While winning a game does take skill, yes. There are just too many variables that can cause a player to lose a match. Too many.

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Hmm, I would have to agree that there are no pro players, no one here is paid to play, even the youtubers. While I don't think that there is a best player here, due to regions, lag and other stuff, I would still say that there is an elite tier of players. Yes, indeed MCSG is a game of luck and skill but you can control that luck if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't even call it luck, I would call it percentages, the likelihood of dying while taking a chest route or the likelihood of getting a full set of armour on your chest route. There are a lot of variables in fights, but personally I believe that these variables can be controlled and in turn altered for a tribute's benefit.

Personally I notice that I try harder when I am playing a good player and I tend to ease up against someone of lesser skill.

Pretty much my thoughts on this.

Believe it or not, guys, some of those things you thought couldn't be controlled, can be. All I need from chests on my route is full leather/wooden sword to win the rest of the game through PvP reliably well. It's hard for my route to fail me...All I need to avoid getting killed off of corn is just not to stay there too long. Take one and done. I can't remember the last time I was killed in the first minute or two of the game...And yes, I do get chased off corn due to high rank, plenty of times...but I almost never die to it. Again, I can't remember the last time someone punched me to death.

Sure, there are some deaths that are uncontrollable: Sometimes, there was nothing you could have done to stop yourself from getting killed off corn. However, the way in which someone is "skilled" isn't to prevent it, since that's impossible, but to lower the chances of it happening to as low as possible.

Even hackers and large teams can be avoided or dealt with if you know how. A forcefielders weakness, as I'm sure we are all aware, is to stay out of his reach: That's why I use the fishing rod technique. It's a reliable way to hit people more times than they hit you. Teams, all it really takes is to focus one down, and with the fishing rod, it's easier than ever...

This is why I invented (Okay, popularized, for those of you who seem to think otherwise.) the fishing rod trick. It's a brilliant way to take the luck out of a melee fight...once you're good enough, anyway. Normally, a melee fight is partly determined by when you swing the sword, meaning that if you swing just as you get to the opponent, you'll likely hit them on their way back, and they won't back at you. However, the fishing rod allows for melee without the opponent being able to reach you in the first place, as well as manipulating the opponent to get the free hit on knockback without perfect timing or luck. It's also a great way to avoid the effects of minimal lag on fights. (If there is too much lag, though, then it can't be helped. You can't hit someone with the rod if you're lagging that badly.)

Many of the fights I lose are due to a fail: In other words, I don't switch to an item soon enough, I don't use my fishing rod to knock the person back and block instead, slowing me down, missing with the fishing rod when I expected it to hit, effecting how I planned on attacking the opponent, etc...Technically, you could call this bad luck, but to be honest, if I was good enough, I would never make these mistakes in the first place. (Unless lag took place, etc.) It is entirely possible to almost completely negate the luck factor in any fight, or even a good portion of the game, as long as you don't have lag or something along those lines. Lag is the only luck factor you cannot minimize the likelihood of in a game through your actions.

Almost all my deaths these days are not a factor of bad luck: A very large portion of them are me failing in a fight I could have won. If I mastered the PvP of a fishing rod, I would technically win pretty much all my games...there's a very small portion that were just bad luck. (Well, this isn't counting games where I time out or have to leave for moderation duties, etc. These aside, though.)

PVP is luck, lag and skill sets.
Restating a bit of what I've already said:

The fishing rod technique is designed to remove the factors of luck and lag.
I'm well aware of their effects on the average melee fight. Lag can cause a player to not be able to hit the other properly, and the luck is sometimes getting the extra hit on knockback, which is caused by when you start attacking the opponent as you get in range, which is so precise you couldn't possibly master it.

The fishing rod fixes this. By pushing the opponent back, you are able to get a hit, if precise enough, without even a chance of getting hit back yourself. It also allows for manipulation to be able to increase the likelihood of the extra hit mentioned earlier that normally requires oddly specific timing. Throwing off the opponent is always nice, too, but it varies from person to person.

To be perfectly honest, there are only a select number of people who can consistently beat me in a fight, and often times, both me winning and them winning has to do with who made the first mistake. For the truly "elite" players, the fight is pretty much who slips up first. This may seem like luck, but to be honest, it's not. It's simply a lack of mastery on a certain skill. With enough practice, it's entirely possible to never make a mistake. I don't mean to sound egotistical here, but I've yet to see a single person beat me consistently without a strategy that's nearly identical to mine, maybe with slight modifications, so until one is found, or unless there is one that I'm not aware of, it will be the strategy that, once mastered, you won't die. (Except maybe to hackers/large teams. You wouldn't be prepared for hackers, and large teams is a different story entirely.)

Post is mildly rushed: Bit of a busy day here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci