• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My own coming out thread!

Are you an Atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No sure

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think that it's a hypocritical thing to say, all I simply said was that it is a risky move to talk about religion and politics in a day to day manner as these topics can raise 'flame wars' or arguments. Hence why staff are monitoring this thread.
It's the same story with sexuality. Staff also monitor those threads heavily.

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
You were correct. Read further into the article:

"In political, casual, or even humorous contexts, "coming out" means by extension the self-disclosure of a person's secret behaviors, beliefs, affiliations, tastes, identities, and interests that may cause astonishment or bring shame. Some examples include: "coming out as an alcoholic",[44]coming out as a BDSM participant",[45] "coming out of the broom closet" (as a witch),[46] "coming out as a conservative",[47] "coming out as disabled",[48] "coming out as a liberal",[49] "coming out as intersex",[50] "coming out as multiple",[51] "coming out as polyamorous",[52] and "coming out as a sex worker." [53]

With its associated metaphors, the figure of speech has also been extended to atheism, e.g., "coming out as an atheist."[54] A public awareness initiative for freethought and atheism, entitled the "Out Campaign", makes ample use of the "out" metaphor.[55] This campaign was initiated by Dr. Robin Elisabeth Cornwell, and is endorsed by prominent atheist Richard Dawkins, who states "there is a big closet population of atheists who need to 'come out'."[56]"
Extremely opinionated comment right there.

You see, different cultures have different interpretations. Therefore the interpretation of 'coming out' for you, may be different for me.

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
iVelocityGaming I don't see what you're trying to say. Cultures don't have different interpretations, there's simply multiple uses for the phrase. To say that 'coming out' doesn't apply to religion goes against the definition of the phrase. You were calling him out for his comment being 'opinionated', when you are the one restricting the use of a phrase to a definition which you believe is correct, despite the actual definition.

NickSharpx ☆

District 13
Reaction score
I understood all of it, same here.
I told my family and friends aswell. Some of my friends + my sister actually share an atheistic view of life, most of people in my small town don't, nor my family does, but they accept me since they know I'm not a bad person, I don't get drunk, I don't smoke, I don't get high and that sorta thangs

Zable

Diamond
Reaction score
I am also an atheist but I dont think thats a thing you really need to make this I mean it aint a pretty big deal at least for me. After reconsidering stuff I have come to the conclusion that everything you do depends on you. If something bad happens to you thats because you chose wrong, same with when something good happens to you you chose right.

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score
Can a mod please delete the comments above. ^ I dont want this to be locked. Thanks <3

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It must be really challenging coming out to a Catholic family that you're an atheist, and it must have been especially hard if your parents were highly religious. As a Christian myself, I'm not fully for atheist views, but believe it or not I fully understand why people deny all religion. There are just so many explanations out there, so many religions, so many arguments, because everyone wants to find a way to explain why we are why we are.

If I didn't believe in God, I'd hop straight aboard the atheist train, because all this nonsense fighting over all different types of religions or explanations just gives me a headache.

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've thought about it, and haven't came to a logical conclusion. Although there is somewhat conclusive evidence that evolution occurred excetera, you also have to question then the chances of something so complicated such as yourself coming into existence. The fact that you were born in the first place, the fact that humanity was created so perfectly, even the chances that humanity came to birth in the first place, let alone any life so called "evolving" in the first place. The fact that you are existing currently is through thousand of processes that happened and had very little chance of happening. Thinking of it that way, it could be argued that it could have always happened, but the fact that it happened to you? Perhaps the theory of alternate universes could be used, whereupon there was always that one alternate universe where you were to be born. The whole topic is very complicated and even now I can't decide what I would believe in. I would write more, but I'm lazy and can't be asked. Right now I'm just following the idea of live life to the fullest. Humans could not possibly comprehend the complete truth of life and the afterlife in my opinion, and see no reason why to start following a set of rules any time soon when I would not believe in them. Anyway, if it what you feel you believe in, go for it.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue was never, "Do you believe in God/Yawh/Allah/Buddha/The Flying Spaghetti Monster?"
The issue was always, "My beliefs are superior to yours, so I demand you adopt my superior beliefs as well."
And it's further complicated by religious extremists who use faith as an excuse for political gain, and atheist extremists who believe that the only way to root out religious extremism is to erase religion altogether. Extremists of any kind are always trouble.

(For the record, I'm a religiously-tolerant atheist. The only thing I won't tolerate are people being jerks to each other, be it in the name of their faith or some other petty excuse.)

EDIT:
Also, hearing that this thread was locked earlier was surprising to me. But I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed, and this thread now stands open.
Remember folks: we've touched on the merits of Atheism and Religion before. I remember a, "Is there a God" thread way long ago that was rather well handled.

Last edited:

Zinc // Akash754

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think you all deserve to know that I am in-fact an atheist! I abandoned religion about 2 years ago and I have been going strong ever since. I have studied all religions greatly and I came to my own conclusion there is no God. Evolution has a great deal of evidence supporting it and I don't need religion to be a good person. Ive told my parents, family and friends. It was hard to tell my family since they are all religious and I go to a catholic school so it has been very difficult. They don't understand me.

Hope you all accept me for who I am. Being an atheist has made me a better person and has given new meaning to my life. Since "coming out" has been a trend on the forums I thought of doing a different kind of coming out. There are other reasons to come out other than sexuality. Atheists are greatly hated in this world and are misunderstood way too often. Atheists Unite!

Thank you all for reading!
I'm Christian, and I also believe we all are entitled to our own thoughts and opinions so yes I support you :)

BAGHRB

Career
Reaction score
Athes are very privileged. Celebrated intellectuals, media figures, etc. What do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci