• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My own coming out thread!

Are you an Atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No sure

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
Im just curious how are they not polar opposites? Im really confused. Its like saying, I don't view hot and cold as polar opposites, as the world tends to portray them.
I personally haven't ever seen anything in religion that disqualifies anything that science is trying to prove. For example, the bible states that God created the world. That's it. Doesn't say anything about how. God could have used the big bang to create the universe. It also states he created all the animals, but doesn't specify that the animals we see today are the ones that were created (as far as I can tell). In fact, a widely accepted theory in anthropology is that the genus Homo (Sapiens, Habalis, Afarensis etc), all descended from from what is dubbed as "Eve". Not necessarily the Eve in the Bible but the general idea is the same. I personally don't see anything in religion that specifically disproves anything that science is trying to educate, and vice versa.

Minotaurr

Diamond
Reaction score
I don't believe in anything.
In fact I don't believe in looking at the past.
I think we all need to stop worrying about things we don't know and live our lives :)

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
Coming out threads on your sexuality, that's appropriate. But... a thread on coming out on your religious views? That was a rather risky move..

Good thing Staff are monitoring this thread as religion and politics are generally rather risky topics to talk about yee

Jexsy

Career
Reaction score
Coming out threads on your sexuality, that's appropriate. But... a thread on coming out on your religious views? That was a rather risky move..

Good thing Staff are monitoring this thread as religion and politics are generally rather risky topics to talk about yee
m8 politics, and religion are the greatest topic starters of all time.

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Coming Out doesn't mean stating your sexuality LMAO
Extremely opinionated comment right there.

You see, different cultures have different interpretations. Therefore the interpretation of 'coming out' for you, may be different for me.

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score

That's a very hypocritical thing to say. People are allowed to have an opinion on different sexualities but not different religions?

Illumiigel

Survivor
Reaction score
You were correct. Read further into the article:

"In political, casual, or even humorous contexts, "coming out" means by extension the self-disclosure of a person's secret behaviors, beliefs, affiliations, tastes, identities, and interests that may cause astonishment or bring shame. Some examples include: "coming out as an alcoholic",[44]coming out as a BDSM participant",[45] "coming out of the broom closet" (as a witch),[46] "coming out as a conservative",[47] "coming out as disabled",[48] "coming out as a liberal",[49] "coming out as intersex",[50] "coming out as multiple",[51] "coming out as polyamorous",[52] and "coming out as a sex worker." [53]

With its associated metaphors, the figure of speech has also been extended to atheism, e.g., "coming out as an atheist."[54] A public awareness initiative for freethought and atheism, entitled the "Out Campaign", makes ample use of the "out" metaphor.[55] This campaign was initiated by Dr. Robin Elisabeth Cornwell, and is endorsed by prominent atheist Richard Dawkins, who states "there is a big closet population of atheists who need to 'come out'."[56]"

Jexsy

Career
Reaction score
You were correct. Read further into the article:

"In political, casual, or even humorous contexts, "coming out" means by extension the self-disclosure of a person's secret behaviors, beliefs, affiliations, tastes, identities, and interests that may cause astonishment or bring shame. Some examples include: "coming out as an alcoholic",[44]coming out as a BDSM participant",[45] "coming out of the broom closet" (as a witch),[46] "coming out as a conservative",[47] "coming out as disabled",[48] "coming out as a liberal",[49] "coming out as intersex",[50] "coming out as multiple",[51] "coming out as polyamorous",[52] and "coming out as a sex worker." [53]"
ya i read like the title and saw some rainbows n Good and assumed

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
That's a very hypocritical thing to say. People are allowed to have an opinion on different sexualities but not different religions?
Personally, I don't think that it's a hypocritical thing to say, all I simply said was that it is a risky move to talk about religion and politics in a day to day manner as these topics can raise 'flame wars' or arguments. Hence why staff are monitoring this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci