• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mac or Windows?

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, the iMac is an older model; obviously so is the PC.

The new iMac's 5k display is quite notable. Although, there are many sceptics who question the need for such a high resolution; is the human eye even capable of processing such a high resolution? And then there is the issue that 5k content isn't going to be adopted quickly; 4k isn't even a commonly used resolution yet. What's the good of such a high resolution display is there is little content to actually make use of the extra pixels?

Using your build, let's replace the 5k display with a 4k display at costs $500. The total for the PC would then come out to $1672.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IE...&dpID=41lK46eWlpL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

I suppose it depends on how much you value 5k resolution; is it really worth near $900? Personally, I would wait for 5k content to be used more first and for the prices to drop, which will inevitably happen in the following years.
I wouldn't pay an extra $900 for a "Retina Display" resolution, but the high-DPI retina display (2880x1800 - pixel-doubled 1440x900) on the 15" MacBook Pro is beautiful.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Yeah, the iMac is an older model; obviously so is the PC.

The new iMac's 5k display is quite notable. Although, there are many sceptics who question the need for such a high resolution; is the human eye even capable of processing such a high resolution? And then there is the issue that 5k content isn't going to be adopted quickly; 4k isn't even a commonly used resolution yet. What's the good of such a high resolution display is there is little content to actually make use of the extra pixels?

Using your build, let's replace the 5k display with a 4k display at costs $500. The total for the PC would then come out to $1672.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IE...&dpID=41lK46eWlpL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

I suppose it depends on how much you value 5k resolution; is it really worth near $900? Personally, I would wait for 5k content to be used more first and for the prices to drop, which will inevitably happen in the following years.
4K display $699
CPU $243
RAM $100
HD $150
SSD $190
GPU $200
Mother Board $290
Total $1,872

The $500 bucks price is for a refurbished 4k Display. Also, the iMac's display is IPS-techonlogy c:
With enclosure and proper cooling, it would be around $2000.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
4K display $699
CPU $243
RAM $100
HD $150
SSD $190
GPU $200
Mother Board $290
Total $1,872

The $500 bucks price is for a refurbished 4k Display. Also, the iMac's display is IPS-techonlogy c:
With enclosure and proper cooling, it would be around $2000.
Are you sure the display I linked is refurbished? I could be blind but there seems to be no indication on the page.

And even with your choices, there are areas where the price can be shaved off a bit; retailers like Newegg usually offer the same products for less than the "bigger" retailers like Amazon.

Of course, one of the main advantages of a PC is the plethora of choices to suit your budget and specific wants; something Mac simply can't compete with.

Edit: Oh, and the upgradability factor, which in the long run will save more money.

Last edited:

PDPM

Tribute
Reaction score
I have an imac but installed windows on it through bootcamp and I have to say windows > mac

Tom

Experienced
Reaction score
I have a macbook air and a Windows PC so I think my input is valid. For gaming I think Windows is better than mac however it obviously does depend on the computer. I think mac's have a lot more strengths else where though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci