• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Booster-Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Hey, so... well, let's just say I had this idea literally 45 seconds ago while watching one of Blamph's videos on TSG2, and I just had one of those "OMG YES" moments. As you can tell by reading through the thread, it's not really thought-out but I really want to post this before I forget it >_>

So basically, if there is a player or team that is suspected of boosting, then the staff can track their movements throughout the games that they play.

A few signs that a player is boosting:
- They constantly have the same teammate(s), and their teammate never or rarely wins (usually comes 2nd or 3rd)
- They have a large win-streak, despite not having any signs of being an outstanding player, such as a good ratio. (Alts, anyone?)
- A large portion of their wins come from a certain time of day, and their losses come from the rest of the time that they play. This could signify that they start winning once a friend (Or multiple) logs on, or once the servers quiet down.

How does this "Booster-Check" work?
~ First of all, there would be a staff command such as "/boost lb check [playername]". This command would run a scan on the player's last few hundred games and see if they had any unusual patterns of wins, such as a section of games in which they won a very large percentage, but they ordinarily have a much lower win/loss ratio. The system would report its findings, if any, and the player could then undergo further examination if the results came back positive.
~ There would be a second staff command, such as "/boost game watch [playername]". This second command would monitor the players next few dozen games, especially around the time period in which their unusual win pattern was, and it would track the coordinates of them and all the players within their games, every 30-60 seconds, possibly more or less depending on how effective it is and how much memory space it would take up on server hard drives.
In addition, if any of the teammates had a pattern of doing things like "/kill", dying to fire, or dying without a fight, then it can be concluded that they were boosting.
~ If a player goes on a winning streak of three or more games, then the server automatically performs a check on their past 20 games and their past 20 wins, and performs a check to see if there were any players who were in the same game as them, multiple times. (Teammates, essentially.)

The purpose:
To catch boosters, obviously! :D
If they are constantly registered as having coordinates near a person throughout multiple games, then it can be concluded that they are a team, without needing a Mod to manually spectate them throughout several games.

Any suggestions, tips, questions? Post them in the comments! A system to prevent, or at least to help discourage, boosting is something that I feel would benefit MCSG quite a bit.

ok im going into a league game so my thread ends here

Imanol

Diamond
Reaction score
Very nice work Moo! I hope this get's looked on by staff :D

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
This seems like a good way to check for boosters. My only possible critique is that some people win only at certain times because of other reasons. For me, I can win a lot more games past 9:00 PM or so not because it is so much easier to win at that time, (it is a little) but because my family stops using the internet at that time. My ping drops from 300-1000 all the way down to around 150-200. I can also imagine a situation in which a player plays throughout the day with a slow computer and then has a short period in which they can use a nicer computer, and thus get most of their wins throughout that time.

Anyways, that part may not be best to factor into it. But overall, great thought on all of this!

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
This seems like a good way to check for boosters. My only possible critique is that some people win only at certain times because of other reasons. For me, I can win a lot more games past 9:00 PM or so not because it is so much easier to win at that time, (it is a little) but because my family stops using the internet at that time. My ping drops from 300-1000 all the way down to around 150-200. I can also imagine a situation in which a player plays throughout the day with a slow computer and then has a short period in which they can use a nicer computer, and thus get most of their wins throughout that time.

Anyways, that part may not be best to factor into it. But overall, great thought on all of this!
Well, I guess this system could be a warning for moderators to look more into rather than just banning because the command comes out positive. This could just be a sort of heads up command so moderators are aware of a possible booster.

ImProfuse

Survivor
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of checking what time of day they get their wins on because some people get lots of homework afterschool therefore they can only play in the evenings.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I feel like evidence might still be necessary. What if I'm really good and I decide to play with my crappy friends? I might be able to defend them enough to keep them alive in the game, but in deathmatch I just kill them every time.

RedMarzBarz_

Career
Reaction score
Hey, so... well, let's just say I had this idea literally 45 seconds ago while watching one of Blamph's videos on TSG2, and I just had one of those "OMG YES" moments. As you can tell by reading through the thread, it's not really thought-out but I really want to post this before I forget it >_>

So basically, if there is a player or team that is suspected of boosting, then the staff can track their movements throughout the games that they play.

A few signs that a player is boosting:
- They constantly have the same teammate(s), and their teammate never or rarely wins (usually comes 2nd or 3rd)
- They have a large win-streak, despite not having any signs of being an outstanding player, such as a good ratio. (Alts, anyone?)
- A large portion of their wins come from a certain time of day, and their losses come from the rest of the time that they play. This could signify that they start winning once a friend (Or multiple) logs on, or once the servers quiet down.

How does this "Booster-Check" work?
~ First of all, there would be a staff command such as "/boost lb check [playername]". This command would run a scan on the player's last few hundred games and see if they had any unusual patterns of wins, such as a section of games in which they won a very large percentage, but they ordinarily have a much lower win/loss ratio. The system would report its findings, if any, and the player could then undergo further examination if the results came back positive.
~ There would be a second staff command, such as "/boost game watch [playername]". This second command would monitor the players next few dozen games, especially around the time period in which their unusual win pattern was, and it would track the coordinates of them and all the players within their games, every 30-60 seconds, possibly more or less depending on how effective it is and how much memory space it would take up on server hard drives.
In addition, if any of the teammates had a pattern of doing things like "/kill", dying to fire, or dying without a fight, then it can be concluded that they were boosting.
~ If a player goes on a winning streak of three or more games, then the server automatically performs a check on their past 20 games and their past 20 wins, and performs a check to see if there were any players who were in the same game as them, multiple times. (Teammates, essentially.)

The purpose:
To catch boosters, obviously! :D
If they are constantly registered as having coordinates near a person throughout multiple games, then it can be concluded that they are a team, without needing a Mod to manually spectate them throughout several games.

Any suggestions, tips, questions? Post them in the comments! A system to prevent, or at least to help discourage, boosting is something that I feel would benefit MCSG quite a bit.

ok im going into a league game so my thread ends here
OMG YES SOMEONE GIVE THIS GENIUS A MEDAL NOW THIS REVOLUTIONARY. MUM, GET THE CAMERA!

Ok, on a serious note, Mooclan is by far (probably) the best suggestion MCGamer has seen in a while, you are a genius!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I feel like evidence might still be necessary. What if I'm really good and I decide to play with my crappy friends? I might be able to defend them enough to keep them alive in the game, but in deathmatch I just kill them every time.
As I was saying before the forums crashed... (-_-)
As with any other ban, yes - evidence would be needed. That's why I never mentioned anything about the system banning them.
However, this would eliminate the need to spectate multiple games or go through their game history manually. It would, essentially, speed up the process and free up the Moderators' time to do other things like handle Report Abuses, moderate the servers for other rule-breakers, and also leave free time for themselves.

From what I heard from a Moderator, the way that they deal with people who are suspected of boosting is they go through that player's individual games and see if there was anyone who helped them boost. Or if that isn't sufficient, then they have to spectate the person's games. This would automate the process, freeing them up to do other things.

As you may know, MCGamer has been trying to find or create new ways to prevent rules from being broken.
Starting with the standard Anti-Cheat to block Reach, Fly, and Waterwalking, among other hacks, and then installing the Anti-BSM system. I've heard rumors that they're starting an Anti-Forcefield/Aimbot system similar to an idea suggested by Saimo, and if implemented this would be yet another way to make the process more efficient!

Edit:
Also, concerning the playing with bad friends part - If the "/boost game watch [playername]" tracked the remaining health of the two players, then if the last person standing had, say, 3 hearts left, then the system could conclude that they actually did fight. In addition, it could track when the third and second player died, to see if the people had time to regen, escape, etc.

Last edited:

boboy1999

District 13
Reaction score
I dont completely agree with the boosting rule because it cannot be 100% proven.
Lets just say for example I choose to play some mcsg with my younger brother. We play for hours and we make it to deathmatch almost every time and we do a 1 vs 1 when we wre the last 2 players. I am better than my younger brother and we usually try to fight with the same items. If I win many times while playing and every game I play that day is with him would that be considered boosting even though he didnt do /kill. It would show up as me playing a ton of games with him and me winning many times. I dont think there is an accurate way of checking for boosting because something that looks like boosting may no be. Sometimes I have a really bad loosing streak then a come back with winning many games in a row while teaming with my brother because sometimes the communication between us is great. My brother never lets me win or kills himself but I am better than him. This is just one example of something looking like boosting when it is not. People might boost and it is not a good thing but there is no possible way to prove it. Lets just say I play with a friend and he keeps doing /kill and I dont want him to does that mean I get punished or the person doing /kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci