• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A little more from the staff

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
We can tell (and in fact, we do tell) generic details of specific things; it all depends on what is under NDA and what isn't. For example, saying that "we need to convert from the old format to the new" isn't under NDA; giving details of any new projects we're working on, or giving specific technical details, is.
This might sound dumb, but why is NDA necessary?

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
This might sound dumb, but why is NDA necessary?
Definition of NDA:

"Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) forms are often referred to as Confidentiality Agreement forms. Any time you are sharing confidential information with another party, it is a good idea to have them sign a Non Disclosure Agreement prior to having access to the information. By signing an NDA, an individual or company acknowledges that information of a sensitive nature is being disclosed and agrees not to disclose what is learned about to other parties."

In other words, information to be kept secret, and shared only with other highly trusted, and authoritative figures within ones community.

This means, that this information they're speaking of under the consensus agreement of the NDA, is secret, and more than likely crucial to specific business. For example, If they're working on a plugin that adds something game changing to MCSG, it need to be kept secret so that other communities won't copy the idea, and release it before MCSG does.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Definition of NDA:

"Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) forms are often referred to as Confidentiality Agreement forms. Any time you are sharing confidential information with another party, it is a good idea to have them sign a Non Disclosure Agreement prior to having access to the information. By signing an NDA, an individual or company acknowledges that information of a sensitive nature is being disclosed and agrees not to disclose what is learned about to other parties."

In other words, information to be kept secret, and shared only with other highly trusted, and authoritative figures within ones community.
He said why not what.

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
This means, that this information they're speaking of under the consensus agreement of the NDA, is secret, and more than likely crucial to specific business. For example, If they're working on a plugin that adds something game changing to MCSG, it need to be kept secret so that other communities won't copy the idea, and release it before MCSG does.
Thanks, that answers my question.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
he has said things he is allowed to
We can tell (and in fact, we do tell) generic details of specific things; it all depends on what is under NDA and what isn't. For example, saying that "we need to convert from the old format to the new" isn't under NDA; giving details of any new projects we're working on, or giving specific technical details, is.
And that is somewhat of what I want. I assume this means you can't share ETA's on features that have already been announced then?

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
And that is somewhat of what I want. I assume this means you can't share ETA's on features that have already been announced then?
Even if he can, it's not always a good idea to. Giving ETA's on something more than a week away can not only be difficult to say accurately with absolute sureness, but it's also quite disappointing when the deadline is not met. It's usually better to just not mention it until it's almost ready, so as to prevent negative discussion about how "slow" they are or something, when these people have no idea what's actually going on behind the scenes. (Which is important. A community that doesn't trust that a group of people that administrate or are generally important to said community can do their job well enough, it causes a big mess.) If people have no idea where the dev team is at until a feature is almost ready, it's not only a lot harder to decipher what they might be doing that's not supposed to be known, but it's also a lot harder to complain or worry about how slow they are doing it.

Edit: Though I admit I myself would at least like a little update here and there. It doesn't need to be detailed, just a vague "Yep, it's being worked on, you'll have to wait a little while longer, though." Still, I don't know how many occasions this would be appropriate or possible as of recently. I'm not a member of the dev team, after all, so who am I to complain.

MCJackson

District 13
Reaction score
So far what I've seen here is people denying what I've said.
You are allowed to have a life, and be busy with staff work, but I still don't believe that it would take most of the day, especially since summer has arrived. You should be able to appear on a server at least every so often.

And everyone has been defending Col_Star with saying things like he does things behind the scenes. I read the linked threads, but that doesn't change the fact that if you're not even doing anything to be a member of the community you shouldn't have the ability to manage it. They may know how to handle a situation, but like I said, that's only one part of being a member of the staff. You also have to be active among us.

You're pretty much just defending yourselves with excuses I've already replied to in the original thread. If you can prove to me that the community managers and admins are honest members of the community (I believe the Sr. Staff are from what has been discussed in the thread) then I will give this up. But until then, I want the high up staff to be more active.

So then because of this NDA, you can't tell us what you're working on, like the general idea or an estimation on when it may be released? I don't think I need details on how far you've gotten, I just want to know when I can expect stuff to come out and what is being worked on. I've seen you answer some similar questions on feature suggestion threads, and I think that was enough.
There is a post on the front page saying they are updating the servers tomorrow. Is that not telling you when to expect new "stuff" on the servers?

Reactions: Le0

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
There is a post on the front page saying they are updating the servers tomorrow. Is that not telling you when to expect new "stuff" on the servers?
I mean updates on specific features, and that was already answered in the previous replies.
Also, please get back on the original topic. Unless you've decided that all the staff, including higher up ranks, should interact more with the community and you just haven't told this thread yet, then it seems like you're avoiding the original discussion.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
So can someone give me an update on whether you agree and need to change or I'm crazy and the 20 or more people that liked the thread, probably agreeing, are also crazy?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci