• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why a Wooden Sword is better than a Stone Ax

mikag35

Gold
Reaction score
A wooden sword is better than a stone axe, I know there is a debate about this and a lot of people don't know. Many people take the stone axe because they think it has more durability, but in this situation, they are wrong. In Minecraft, a weapon/tool used for the wrong purpose takes away twice the durability it normally would. Since an ax is meant to cut wooden items rather than be fought with, it loses it's durability twice as fast. So basically, it is a wooden sword at full durability versus a stone ax with half durability, so the wooden sword actually has more durability However, durability normally doesn't matter because by the time it is going to run out you most likely will have a better weapon than that, or at least will have found a new wooden sword/stone ax. Also, you can block (or parry, which is the technical term) with a wooden sword, but you cannot with a stone ax, which is useful for water fights when you are being shot to death by arrows, because it makes the process much slower and maybe the person will run out of arrows because it takes more to kill you. It doesn't have to be water fights, It could be any time in general that you are being shot by arrows and have low health and need to block. There are probably even more reasons to block that I can't list. That is all, not very many reasons, I know, but I am just giving a tip to maybe some beginners who don't know this, and a tip to almost everyone here, because I am sure a lot of people (even experienced/pro people) didn't know that if a tool is used for the wrong purpose, it takes away twice the normal durability lost, at least I think that most of them didn't know that. Hope this helped a tiny bit, even though honestly it doesn't make that big of a difference, as they do the same amount of damage.

kaiomann

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Pros to swords:
You can block

Pros to Axes:
They look heavier and better than weak-looking wooden swords

Axes do have a higher durability than swords, get your facts straight :p A stone axe has a durability of 132, divided by 2 that makes 66. A wooden sword only has a durability of 60. So it's only a small difference.

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
Pros to swords:
You can block

Pros to Axes:
They look heavier and better than weak-looking wooden swords

Axes do have a higher durability than swords, get your facts straight :p A stone axe has a durability of 132, divided by 2 that makes 66. A wooden sword only has a durability of 60. So it's only a small difference.
Another pro to swords is that they can block arrows, used for blockhitting etc

Lining

Diamond
Reaction score
I would chose a wood sword over a stone axe, because 1.Blocking and 2.Getting Criticals. Stone axes cannot get criticals, which could be a big factor in a PvP fight.

chockadlad

District 13
Reaction score
I would chose a wood sword over a stone axe, because 1.Blocking and 2.Getting Criticals. Stone axes cannot get criticals, which could be a big factor in a PvP fight.
You can get crits with axes, but swords are still wayy better.

kaiomann

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Are you sure about the critical part? I believe you can get criticals anytime as long as you're moving downwards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci