• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The ping plugin - Why is it so inaccurate?

Will_Hornby

Spectator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been playing mcsg for about a year now, and they ping plugin has always been inaccurate. I do /ping ingame, and it always gives me 40+, and when i use command promt direct to work out my ping, it gives me an estimate of 16. This is clearly more accurate.

In the last few days, a new plugin has been added and I was hoping that the plugin would give more accurate results, but it has continued to give me inaccurate results.

My question is, why doesn't the plugin just half the number anyway, as that's what everyone does?

Do you guys have any of the same results?

-Didier

Fax

Career
Reaction score
The plugin seems to give me really random results, I'm not too sure how correct they are but I only really use it to see whether I'm lagging or not ;)

ChibiGoose

Platinum
Reaction score
Idk why, but with the new anti cheat, ping doesn't really matter, and that makes me happy

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I do /ping ingame, and it always gives me 40+, and when i use command promt direct to work out my ping, it gives me an estimate of 16. This is clearly more accurate.
Ping to the MCGamer servers vs Ping to your local servers.

I get 80+ ping to MGamer CA and 20 to my local servers.

Will_Hornby

Spectator
Reaction score
Why are people so concerned about there ping these days? Unless you have over about 150 ping or under 20 ping it does not make a whole pile of a difference.
fair point, but ping does have a huge difference on how good you are, it means you can hit people from further away and can hit more successful hits.

Sean

District 13
Reaction score
fair point, but ping does have a huge difference on how good you are, it means you can hit people from further away and can hit more successful hits.
It really does not make a difference on how good you are. For example Builda_Br3tt is from South Africa and plays on EU. He gets terrible ping and is still better than 90% of players.

Also ping does not actually effect how far you can hit someone from. That is determined by the anti-cheat on the server. If you have better ping it means that you hits register faster. Okay let me give you an example:

Me and you are fighting. We both click at the same time. I have 200 ping and you have 20 ping. This means my hits take 200 milliseconds to register and your's take 20 milliseconds. There for technically you hit me 1st but in reality you cannot tell the difference and it wont actually make a difference. Most people mistake good combos for ping. Having a good ping will not allow you to get better combos, that's a combination of good strafing techniques and getting perfect crits.

Okay, yes you might say if I have 5 ping and you have 400 ping then I am going to destroy you because of the huge delay. Unfortunately this is not true. As any decent PvP'r will know that has terrible ping you can also use this to your advantage.
I will give you another example:
With my 5 ping I try to hit you. But because there is such a difference between our pings I am not actually were you think I am. This is why it is so hard to hit someone that is lagging really bad.

I receive pretty poor ping - about 180 to 200. I have adapted a technique that I aim slightly to the right or left of were my opponent is. Thus taking count of the delay my hits register at perfect timing.

This is just a basic explanation and the whole subject of networks and ping in general is very complicated and actually interesting. If you do a search on Google there is much better explanations but I hope this helped you understand it more.

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score
It really does not make a difference on how good you are. For example Builda_Br3tt is from South Africa and plays on EU. He gets terrible ping and is still better than 90% of players.

Also ping does not actually effect how far you can hit someone from. That is determined by the anti-cheat on the server. If you have better ping it means that you hits register faster. Okay let me give you an example:

Me and you are fighting. We both click at the same time. I have 200 ping and you have 20 ping. This means my hits take 200 milliseconds to register and your's take 20 milliseconds. There for technically you hit me 1st but in reality you cannot tell the difference and it wont actually make a difference. Most people mistake good combos for ping. Having a good ping will not allow you to get better combos, that's a combination of good strafing techniques and getting perfect crits.

Okay, yes you might say if I have 5 ping and you have 400 ping then I am going to destroy you because of the huge delay. Unfortunately this is not true. As any decent PvP'r will know that has terrible ping you can also use this to your advantage.
I will give you another example:
With my 5 ping I try to hit you. But because there is such a difference between our pings I am not actually were you think I am. This is why it is so hard to hit someone that is lagging really bad.

I receive pretty poor ping - about 180 to 200. I have adapted a technique that I aim slightly to the right or left of were my opponent is. Thus taking count of the delay my hits register at perfect timing.

This is just a basic explanation and the whole subject of networks and ping in general is very complicated and actually interesting. If you do a search on Google there is much better explanations but I hope this helped you understand it more.
Hmmm I'm pretty sure 200 ping and 20 ping you can tell the difference, lmao...

Pearlyyy

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Why are people so concerned about there ping these days? Unless you have over about 150 ping or under 20 ping it does not make a whole pile of a difference.
I have over 150 ping as my average ;-; (On that note, I'm hugely surprised I have any wins)

Sean

District 13
Reaction score
Hmmm I'm pretty sure 200 ping and 20 ping you can tell the difference, lmao...
obviously there is a slight noticeable difference. But a lot less of than what people generally think.

EditingXBL

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I really don't understand why people think more about the ping plugin when there's a lot more important things to be talking about, lol...

Ping does matter if you're one of those players who just go for combos but if you're one of those people who actually play safe then it really doesn't matter, I've played on the US server with no problem and I'm from EU. I gain 18 ping on the EU servers and 200+ on the US servers and I've won decent games on US with no issues at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci