• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Since you continue to persist on the matter you leave me no other option on the matter at hand.

When i get home from collage today i will go see an admin about getting both banned on the mcgamer network i already know that they will most probable not change the rules but since you want them both the same way i will see what i can do tonight.

after all the method is everything.
I guess you should also ask about banning bright monitors... /s

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how long have these brightness increasing texture packs been around? This almost seems similar to the debate about whether or not BSM should be allowed in 1.7. I honestly can't remember there being these kinds of texture packs in the past, although I could be and probably am wrong. :p

Anyway, my only opinion so far is that they both should either be allowed or not allowed. We can't have two things that are essentially the same have different rules. I'm still not sure as to whether they should or should not.
The first I heard of this texture pack being around is when Darkrai uploaded a video of him using it on his Youtube channel last week.
You've been able to do it in your texture files for a long time it seems, I guess it just wasn't wildly known.

You won't really need BSM when 1.7 comes out as it'll be built into the game.
However I've heard it works slightly different to MC's toggle sprint as you won't be able to keep your sprint while in combat or stepping over block. You just regain your sprint much more easily.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
The first I heard of this texture pack being around is when Darkrai uploaded a video of him using it on his Youtube channel last week.
You've been able to do it in your texture files for a long time it seems, I guess it just wasn't wildly known.

You won't really need BSM when 1.7 comes out as it'll be built into the game.
However I've heard it works slightly different to MC's toggle sprint as you won't be able to keep your sprint while in combat or stepping over block. You just regain your sprint much more easily.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
Haha, let's leave BSM out of this discussion. It just reminded me of that debate. :p

Huahwi

Diamond
Reaction score
1) Increase "brightness" in every block in your texture pack
2) Win the Hunger Games!

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Since you continue to persist on the matter you leave me no other option on the matter at hand.

When i get home from collage today i will go see an admin about getting both banned on the mcgamer network i already know that they will most probable not change the rules but since you want them both the same way i will see what i can do tonight.

after all the method is everything
Just one brief question: Aren't moderators supposed to be looking out for the community and helping improve these servers, as opposed to deliberately misinterpreting their requests and refusing to listen to their arguments, effectively stating that, because they have a red name, their opinions are more valid than the community they represent? Because, if the former definition is what constitutes a good mod, I'm sorry to say that you do not classify as one.

CalebDob

Survivor
Reaction score
You can't make OptiFine a legal mod and say that if you increase your gamma (which is a affect of OptiFine) you can get banned. You have to be willing to pick one.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Just one brief question: Aren't moderators supposed to be looking out for the community and helping improve these servers, as opposed to deliberately misinterpreting their requests and refusing to listen to their arguments, effectively stating that, because they have a red name, their opinions are more valid than the community they represent? Because, if the former definition is what constitutes a good mod, I'm sorry to say that you do not classify as one.
C'mon, let's not throw out public insults. If you have a problem take it elsewhere.

EzSp

Career
Reaction score
*This is just my thoughts and opinion about this gamma-controversy and it was no way intended to ridicule whoever made this a bannable offense nor am I trying to publicly exploit this option. Thank you for taking your time into reading this and hopefully a Sr. Staff will reply to this thread and clear things up*

-Huahwi
The fact that you feel you have to put this is so stupid, anyone should be able to speak their opinion. <3 Huahwi

I really wish changing your gamma was allowed, then I would record my videos here. However, since it's hard to see at night in videos, I have to up my gamma, meaning I have to play on another server when I record, which sucks for me, because I would much rather record MCSG.

Texture packs that are really bright practically have fullbright built into them, so why is this allowed and changing your gamme not allowed?

I'm also just going to bring this up: Canziano was banned for this, when there was no rule about it, I'm not sure if there is now, but he is now perm-banned, how can someone be banned for something that isn't in the rules, it isn't something that you would assume is against the rules.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I'm also just going to bring this up: Canziano was banned for this, when there was no rule about it, I'm not sure if there is now, but he is now perm-banned, how can someone be banned for something that isn't in the rules, it isn't something that you would assume is against the rules.
As @HalfSquirrel said, it is a modified client, so it is technically in the rules, however it is pretty vague and they should make it a bit more apparent in the rules.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
As @HalfSquirrel said, it is a modified client, so it is technically in the rules, however it is pretty vague and they should make it a bit more apparent in the rules.
Editing something in your option files is technically a modified client? Then Changing my render distance or FOV in my options file would be modifying my client as well.
The ability to change your gamma is built into vanilla Minecraft.

Considering the Admins have deemed it acceptable to have bright textures its apparent that having increased gamma should also be allowed considering they do the exact same thing.

Default MC on Moonbase9:

Now look at the following two images. One of which has increased gamma (editing through the options text file) And the other being a custom Redcraft texture pack.

It's impossible to ban someone for increasing their gamma now unless you see them in their video settings and see 1000% brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci