• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

electromeerkat

Survivor
Reaction score
To download a texture pack you have to look for the folder in your Minecraft folder, I can guarantee that the majority of people who plays Minecraft went on Youtube at some point to learn how to install texture packs, search "How to increase your Minecraft Brightness" not even gamma, I didn't even know there was a gamma option or what it was. I searched how to increase brightness in Minecraft since I have a dim laptop for Minecraft.
  1. Any texture pack worth its weight in salt will come with a tutorial.
  2. brightness and gamma are 2 different things where as brightness is general light intensity gamma is alot more complicated and involves a fair amount of maths, long and complicated explanation Short and simple is that gamma basically boosts light in shadowed areas.
Considering the largest Minecraft youtubers, the Yogscast, posted a video on how to do it. It really isn't that difficult to do.

It still requires someone to make the texture pack and by that logic if all texture packs should be allowed then an Xray texture pack should.
Xray texture packs give the exact same effect as an Xray modded client where these texture packs give the exact same effect as the Full Bright mod.
  1. I don't watch the yogscast and i'm willing to bet alot of players on mcgamers servers don't either.
  2. A texture pack that increases the brightness of the color used in some/all the blocks is nothing to do with gamma like i said gamma basically boosts light in shaded areas a texture pack changes the texture of the blocks they are completely different.
  3. A Full bright mod effects the gamma unlike a texture pack.
  4. x-ray texture pack is taking it to far and we cross the line well before it.
For future reference just because 2 things do similar thing doesn't mean there the same other wise we would say Hydrochloric acid and boiling hot water are the same because they both burn you (not the best example but you see my point).

My first post was not meant to cause arguments it was ment to tell you why one is ban-able but the other is not.

P.S - gamma is not as simple as that it is alot more complicated but to keep it brief i (for lack of a better word) dumed it down alot .

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
  1. Any texture pack worth its weight in salt will come with a tutorial.
  2. brightness and gamma are 2 different things where as brightness is general light intensity gamma is alot more complicated and involves a fair amount of maths, long and complicated explanation Short and simple is that gamma basically boosts light in shadowed areas.
  1. I don't watch the yogscast and i'm willing to bet alot of players on mcgamers servers don't either.
  2. A texture pack that increases the brightness of the color used in some/all the blocks is nothing to do with gamma like i said gamma basically boosts light in shaded areas a texture pack changes the texture of the blocks they are completely different.
  3. A Full bright mod effects the gamma unlike a texture pack.
  4. x-ray texture pack is taking it to far and we cross the line well before it.
For future reference just because 2 things do similar thing doesn't mean there the same other wise we would say Hydrochloric acid and boiling hot water are the same because they both burn you (not the best example but you see my point).

My first post was not meant to cause arguments it was ment to tell you why one is ban-able but the other is not.

P.S - gamma is not as simple as that it is alot more complicated but to keep it brief i (for lack of a better word) dumed it down alot .
"My first post was not meant to cause arguments it was ment to tell you why one is ban-able but the other is not." I still don't understand why one is banable and the other isn't.
I completely understand why Xray is not allowed. however that was an example as you said texture packs are allowed because they're easy to find and install.

They do indeed give the same effect.
Please look at the following two images.

The first image is me altering the gamma to "100" in the options file.
Where as the second image is a texture pack I created.

Why punish one method over the other when they achieve the exact same result/effect.

Also just to add, don't worry this isn't an argument. This is merely a discussion :)

J

Joel/MadDawg

Now there's changing something in the setting which is easy and everyone can and has done it at some point e.g render distance
then there's actually going in to to minecraft files and changing something there which is significantly more difficult and most players dont even know that you can change settings in the minecraft files let only actually changing something in the files.

As for the texture pack its just download and put it in the right place and since there is an actual option for it in minecraft more people will go on the internet to find texture packs hence why texture packs are allowed because there easy to find and install
I have no clue how to install texture packs even though I have watched many tutorials on how to do so. However, I just watched the yogscast tutorial to increase your gamma and I can tell you that I is a LOT easier. I can't believe that you would find installing a texture pack easier than changing your gamma.

electromeerkat

Survivor
Reaction score
"My first post was not meant to cause arguments it was ment to tell you why one is ban-able but the other is not." I still don't understand why one is banable and the other isn't.
I completely understand why Xray is not allowed. however that was an example as you said texture packs are allowed because they're easy to find and install.

They do indeed give the same effect.
Please look at the following two images.

The first image is me altering the gamma to "100" in the options file.
Where as the second image is a texture pack I created.

Why punish one method over the other when they achieve the exact same result/effect.
once again like I've already said a texture pack is different to gamma changing texture packs changes the block and backgrounds and stuff like that and gamma simply put "boosts shadows"

but if you so wish i can bring up getting texture packs banned as well the community seems to have such a problem with them.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
once again like I've already said a texture pack is different to gamma changing texture packs changes the block and backgrounds and stuff like that and gamma simply put "boosts shadows"

but if you so wish i can bring up getting texture packs banned as well the community seems to have such a problem with them.
Different? In all honesty have you seen the two photos? They both give the same effect.
I don't wish for the texture pack to be banned. I'm just surprised changing your gamma is ban worthy.

They Admins have declared texture packs fine so changing of your gamma should be as well.

Once again the method of something shouldn't matter when they both achieve the same results.

electromeerkat

Survivor
Reaction score
Different? In all honesty have you seen the two photos? They both give the same effect.
I don't wish for the texture pack to be banned. I'm just surprised changing your gamma is ban worthy.

They Admins have declared texture packs fine so changing of your gamma should be as well.

Once again the method of something shouldn't matter when they both achieve the same results.
  1. The admins have deemed altering you gamma in the minecraft files bannable so by your logic because the admins have said the one thing is bannable then a similer thing should also be bannable.
  2. just an example here: kill a enemy while at war your are regard as a hero, kill that same enemy in times of peace your are classed a murder
  3. how about a second example: make a video of a game with out the permission of the game developers its copyright, make that same video going though the developers first its completely fine
both cases end in the same result you kill a guy and you make a video one is "right" the other is "wrong" the method is everything don't ever think otherwise.

so in respect to gamma and texture packs:
  • changing the files to get that level of gamma/brightness is wrong
  • downloading an add on which could be classed as (unofficial) DLC for the same result is ok
The method is everything.

This in no way means hacks are permitted its an example other cases have different rules to follow.

Last edited:

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
  1. The admins have deemed altering you gamma in the minecraft files bannable so by your logic because the admins have said the one thing is bannable then a similer thing should also be bannable.
  2. just an example here: kill a enemy while at war your are regard as a hero, kill that same enemy in times of peace your are classed a murder
  3. how about a second example: make a video of a game with out the permission of the game developers its copyright, make that same video going though the developers first its completely fine
both cases end in the same result you kill a guy and you make a video one is "right" the other is "wrong" the method is everything don't ever think otherwise.

so in respect to gamma and texture packs:
  • changing the files to get that level of gamma/brightness is wrong
  • downloading an add on which could be classed as (unofficial) DLC for the same result is ok
The method is everything.

This in no way means hacks are permitted its an example.
Yes, the admins deemed changing your gamma is ban worthy.
But they also deemed a texture pack that gives the same results, allowed.

They should both be either banned. or allowed.

What about creating a custom texture pack or editing one you've already downloaded?
That is modifying. Someone had to make the texture pack originally.

I customised the Redcraft texture pack to act the exact same as altering your gamma.
It uses the same style as the texture pack that the Admins deemed acceptable.

Changing gamma/brightness is wrong? It's in the Minecraft options there for all to alter.
More easily than downloading or customising your own texture pack in my opinion.

Both methods should be allowed.
Not one allowed and one banned.

electromeerkat

Survivor
Reaction score
Yes, the admins deemed changing your gamma is ban worthy.
But they also deemed a texture pack that gives the same results, allowed.

They should both be either banned. or allowed.

What about creating a custom texture pack or editing one you've already downloaded?
That is modifying. Someone had to make the texture pack originally.

I customised the Redcraft texture pack to act the exact same as altering your gamma.
It uses the same style as the texture pack that the Admins deemed acceptable.

Changing gamma/brightness is wrong? It's in the Minecraft options there for all to alter.
More easily than downloading or customising your own texture pack in my opinion.

Both methods should be allowed.
Not one allowed and one banned.
Since you continue to persist on the matter you leave me no other option on the matter at hand.

When i get home from collage today i will go see an admin about getting both banned on the mcgamer network i already know that they will most probable not change the rules but since you want them both the same way i will see what i can do tonight.

after all the method is everything.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Since you continue to persist on the matter you leave me no other option on the matter at hand.

When i get home from collage today i will go see an admin about getting both banned on the mcgamer network i already know that they will most probable not change the rules but since you want them both the same way i will see what i can do tonight.

after all the method is everything.
Or to have them both allowed.

I only ever said it would make sense to have them the same as it doesn't make any real sense having one method banned and another allowed considering they produce the same result.

Now that texture packs to allow this effect are allowed it'd be impossible to ban for changing of the gamma as the only way you could actually prove it is if the person recorded themselves in their video settings showing 1000% Brightness.

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
As Philly is arguing, I too believe gamma shouldn't be a bannable offence. Sure, there is always ''One hero and one villain,'' but take Optifine for example compared to bright texture packs. When someone says, ''I lagged because you have Optifine and I don't.'' The response would be... ''Well go download it for yourself...'' With the texture pack situation. If you are going to download a bright one to act as if gamma was there, why not just change the gamma with a few simple option settings rathar than just downloading something to give you the same result.

Another example could be where you live because you have Optifine, because you have that boost which lets you perform better, without it you may die. Same goes for the gamma/texture-packs. You could avoid death by using these advantages, whereas you could die without them. Both arguments go hand-in-hand.

I too believe Gamma should not be bannable.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Also, the texture pack in question is rather ugly.. No offense to the designer <3
So if you want to customise your own texture to give the same effect as the gamma adjuster you'll have to alter it yourself and having just done that to the Redcraft texture pack I can tell you this..

Changing your gamma in the options file is a much, much easier and less complicated task.

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how long have these brightness increasing texture packs been around? This almost seems similar to the debate about whether or not BSM should be allowed in 1.7. I honestly can't remember there being these kinds of texture packs in the past, although I could be and probably am wrong. :p

Anyway, my only opinion so far is that they both should either be allowed or not allowed. We can't have two things that are essentially the same have different rules. I'm still not sure as to whether they should or should not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci